The Crusades

I have a new essay at my history site
This one is about the last days of Acre in 1291. It's a dramatic story, both heroic and tragic.

This is the penultimate crusading essay. The next one will be on the Kingdom of Jerusalem itself (yeah, I know, it's a bit out of order). After that, I'll be offering essays on other aspects of the crusading era, but that doesn't exhaust my backlog. I have essays on other aspects of the Middle Ages, some on the Reformation, and even some on Greece and Rome.

You can find the Table of Contents for all published essays here

I have a new Crusades essay online. This one is on the Kingdom of Jerusalem itself during the Crusades.

I bet you thought after seven crusades that was all. Hah! Here's one that is often overlooked. It doesn't even get a good name. It's the crusade for everyone who blew off the First Crusade then thought oh crap we really should have done that and got the t-shirt.

As ever, the full list can be found here

Also as ever, comments and questions are welcome!

Is there a particular reason why some used the sea route, but then still ended up at Constantinople? Why not go directly to the Holy Land?

In 1101 the Crusaders didn't have the port cities yet, save for St Symeon, the port for Antioch. Egypt had an effective navy, and sea travel was always chancy.

The history of the Crusades is most often told from the point of view of the Crusades. Well, duh. Sometimes there's a bit of context, especially when discussing the First Crusade, but It's tangential. Here I offer a look at the Byzantine Empire during the two centuries of the crusading era. Later essays will talk about Islam and various European countries over the same time span.

As ever, the full list of essays can be found here
History by Ellis L. Knox
and, as ever, questions are welcome!

While I'm working on the Virtual Pilgrimage, here's an essay on Germany during the two crusading centuries.

Oh, it is really like study notes. I like it. This needs special attention. Thanks, sknox.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Phyrebrat Writing Discussion 32
M Historical Fiction 2
M Historical Fiction 21