Are you addicted to books and reading?

But what I don't have is a TBR file containing more than two or three books at a time......

Oh I'm very guilty here! My current TBR list on Goodreads is 2,271 and it's still rising :ROFLMAO:.

Also, when I am low on disposable income, I do borrow a lot of books from Kindle Unlimited. So addicted to reading beyond a doubt, but though I prefer to own a book that I like, I don't have to have it, if it is available at the library or through KU.

I love KU! With the cost of paperbacks/hardcovers as high as they are, if a book I'm interested in isn't available through the library system, but is via KU I'll read it that way to see if I like it enough to want to own a physical copy.

Oops. I should have written that TBR "pile." But I don't keep a file or list, either. I figure if I really want to read something I will remember it. (Which is really a pretty silly thing for someone my age to think.)

Oh I'm very guilty here! My current TBR list on Goodreads is 2,271 and it's still rising :ROFLMAO:.

I've seen other users like that, and I'd be interested to know what you actually do with a TBR list that long. Do you ever look at it to pick something from? (In which case, don't you always just end up picking one of the latest ones, assuming that's how it's ordered?)

I've seen other users like that, and I'd be interested to know what you actually do with a TBR list that long. Do you ever look at it to pick something from? (In which case, don't you always just end up picking one of the latest ones, assuming that's how it's ordered?)

In Goodreads you can review your list and order them as you please.

I have a simple system: Look at the TBR; choose something else.

Randy M.

I look at my TBR list all the time! I've also broken it down into very specific 'shelves' based on genre, sub-genre, in the case of re-tellings what type of retelling it is, etc. so if I'm in the mood to read one specific type of book I don't have to wade through everything to find the ones in my list that fit that type. Your TBR list can be ordered by date added to the list (ascending or descending order), by shelves, by rating, by its average rating, author, title, date, or date read; so, no, it's not necessarily ordered by the newest books. Also, I have no problem looking through pages upon pages of books checking the synopses until I find the one that's 'calling' me to read it.

I look at my TBR list all the time! I've also broken it down into very specific 'shelves' based on genre, sub-genre, in the case of re-tellings what type of retelling it is, etc. so if I'm in the mood to read one specific type of book I don't have to wade through everything to find the ones in my list that fit that type. Your TBR list can be ordered by date added to the list (ascending or descending order), by shelves, by rating, by its average rating, author, title, date, or date read; so, no, it's not necessarily ordered by the newest books. Also, I have no problem looking through pages upon pages of books checking the synopses until I find the one that's 'calling' me to read it.

I can see your plan and it's great and see the advantages, but still that number of TBR's kinda depresses me - purely because of the age that I'm at!

Just doing some simple mathematics, giving myself one week to finish each book (and I think that's generous and pretty quick, assuming I'm still going to be doing other stuff as well during that time), a list of 2,200+ would take over forty years to finish. And to be frank, I don't think I've got forty years left!

Hence I don't do TBR lists or rather I leave the TBR as either an actual pile of books I'm setting myself to read (currently sitting next to me at about 50 or so) or a nebulous cloud of things I will probably pick out in a bookstore! Time marches on for all of us unfortunately :)

Lovely thread. I seriously purged my paper book when moving to our retirement home. But I am definitely hooked on books; or more correctly I am a bibliophile. Here are 10 signs that you are a Bibliophile.

1. You have both a permanent copy and a loaner copy of your favorite books.
2. You judge other people according to the books they have
3. You spend way to much time thinking about book organization
4. Used books stores fill you with glee
5. You view books as actual home decor
6. You plan to use them as centerpieces at your wedding (or you already did)
7. Your ultimate fantasy is to have a library in your house, à la Belle in Beauty and the Beast.
8. You would love to travel far and wide to look at books and the homes of the people who write them
9. You own multiple copies of the same books
10. You spend crazy amounts of money on rare books

10 Signs You're a Bibliophile

As I look at this list, if I push it, I could say I qualify for Bibliophile on 7 of the 10 categories.

I can relate to No. 1, 2, 4, 5, 7. Which makes me half bibliophile.:) Love books, but I can't say I'm addicted to reading. I am addicted to music. To say I'm addicted to reading would be like to say I am addicted to breathing. It just comes natural and can't live without.

Yes always have had a book addiction from a young age when I mostly satisified it with library books and the odd one I could save up pocket money to get, like the complete set of Narnia which I still have. These days am always looking at the bookshelves in charity shops, and where they still exist, second hand book shops.

I do have a TBR on Goodreads but it doesn't include half the stuff on shelves or piled up waiting. And I just take a book up almost at random to read though if it is part of a series I do read them in order though I might not read them in one go - will pick up something else inbetween. Gradually working my way through several shelves of paperbacks bought ages ago and mostly not read, with the plan of getting rid of quite a proportion.

I had to get rid of a load of books when we moved here.So I got them all on Kindles. However,I've had to buy new bookshelves as books keep appearing.

I had to get rid of a load of books when we moved here.So I got them all on Kindles. However,I've had to buy new bookshelves as books keep appearing.
I got rid of almost all my books over the years as I was constantly moving during the lean years post-recession. Now my wife and I are very close to the finish line on buying a house and I have a suspicion this is what will wind up happening as I'm able to install more bookshelves in the basement/office.

I have read only one book in my life... Ive listen to LOTR audio book which is fantastic and I am now working my way through Game of Thrones audio book but I've physically read only one which is depressing and embarrassing to say now I am trying to write one.

I have read only one book in my life... Ive listen to LOTR audio book which is fantastic and I am now working my way through Game of Thrones audio book but I've physically read only one which is depressing and embarrassing to say now I am trying to write one.

Well there are people here who sell a lot (most?) of their books by audio book. @Dennis E. Taylor has done very well with audio books indeed. He's now one of the authors who's writing books for Audible first and print later.

It shouldn't be embarrassing, unless it's because of a general distaste for literature (which could well hamper your ability to write it). Some people have trouble with the printed word for a variety of causes. They can manage it in small doses, but large ones put a strain on their vision or cause headaches, or they have dyslexia, or some other circumstance that makes going through pages and pages very hard going. But if you are writing a book now, I hope that you will at least listen to a lot of them, because absorbing lots of books through one medium or another is one of the best ways to learn how to build a satisfying story yourself.

Well there are people here who sell a lot (most?) of their books by audio book. @Dennis E. Taylor has done very well with audio books indeed. He's now one of the authors who's writing books for Audible first and print later.

That's good to know.
What kind of cliff-hanger is that statement?
Are you gonna tell us what it was?

If you do that at the end of every chapter you'll have a proper page turner!

It's actually my uncles biography. Ascending the Dream: The Life and Climbs of Banjo Bannon.

Ha I do like the pacing of my book so far that every chapter does have meaning tho i need to improve my grammer in general. I just want to get a first draft finished.

I wouldn't say that i'm addicted, but of all my hobbies, reading is the one that I get the most satisfaction from.

I love the prospect of a long train ride.

Lovely thread. I seriously purged my paper book when moving to our retirement home. But I am definitely hooked on books; or more correctly I am a bibliophile. Here are 10 signs that you are a Bibliophile.

1. You have both a permanent copy and a loaner copy of your favorite books.
2. You judge other people according to the books they have
3. You spend way to much time thinking about book organization
4. Used books stores fill you with glee
5. You view books as actual home decor
6. You plan to use them as centerpieces at your wedding (or you already did)
7. Your ultimate fantasy is to have a library in your house, à la Belle in Beauty and the Beast.
8. You would love to travel far and wide to look at books and the homes of the people who write them
9. You own multiple copies of the same books
10. You spend crazy amounts of money on rare books

10 Signs You're a Bibliophile

As I look at this list, if I push it, I could say I qualify for Bibliophile on 7 of the 10 categories.
I only fail point one. I don't loan books. I recommend others buy or borrow them, or I gift them. I'll never loan another book. They never come back. So, if I consider loaning, I simply gift it instead. And, scour the used books stores or just get one for my Kobo.

I only fail point one. I don't loan books. I recommend others buy or borrow them, or I gift them. I'll never loan another book. They never come back. So, if I consider loaning, I simply gift it instead. And, scour the used books stores or just get one for my Kobo.

Yes whenever I've loaned someone a book it has never come back!