Periods of Time

Karn's Return

Herp a derp! My name's Skerp!
Just a thought for you fine folks here, semi-hypothetical situation.

What time periods, at least some of the more obscure time periods, both real and fantastical, would you like to read about?

Rome would be interesting, though that shall indeed require some research...

Prehistoric is a given for some point. Early dark ages, pretty well the same, though really going back to early dark ages will be a bit of research as well. Perhaps the Norse era there.

I'm interested in those times where almost nothing is known for a particular year, such as 1063, 1116-17, 1131, 1161, 1207, or 1404.

If you go back far enough, there are entire centuries of which almost nothing is known

I might have to go a little earlier. Maybe between 500 and 600 AD. In the transitional time between the last bits of Roman civilization crumbled into the dark ages. When your grand parents were Romans but you were just someone who lived in Italy.

Well, that is a very interesting idea. Perhaps a little too specific, but I could go further north under such a period, I believe. Though again, lots of research to be done...

This is just a daunting task I'm working on right at the moment, and you guys, I'm sad to say, will provide potential, if rather tangent, ideas of which periods to hop to...

May have to brush up on my Sumerian mythology if I'm to do this as well...though I do wonder how Gilgamesh would feel if suddenly an ash-skinned, glowing eyed, pointy-eared woman appeared right before him?

(And no, I do not mean Sylvanas Windrunner, I'm classier than Blizzard fanfics. :| )

Ideas abound here. :eek: Ancient Egypt's time, if a bit further north...

Was it a mistake asking the Chrons about this? XD I just remember how truly outclassed I am when it comes to world history... :| But then, I AM an American...

Well, what "I" have written about (so clearly of interest) is the exploration and lore of wild America (pre-colonial-colonial, particularly west of the Smokies), early far West (1800-1875) and WWII Papua/New Guinea. What would be interesting however would be early encounters with Polynesian culture. That is rather limited, most people assuming that indigenous cultures were not as socially advanced or intricate as our own. They could be very complex. Hence the clash with western societies.

K2

Huge number of historical period and geographical localities about which my ignorance is profound, but how about the one where the archetypal unstoppable force - the Mongol Horde, under its great Kahns - interacted with that legendary immoveablle object, the bureaucracy of the Empire of the centre?

Yeah...honestly I should have thought twice about taking on this subject as I'm the same way, Chris. Well...that's what research is for, eh?

The borderlands of medieval Europe are fascinating. To the north, the islands or the Lapps. To the west, not much except a whole bunch of water; you could consider Brittany or Galicia, if early. To the south are lots of options, including Iberia and Sicily, but also medieval Crete or Cyprus. To me the really interesting stuff is to the east: the pagan Slavic peoples, the incredibly complex and fascinating Balkans, Livonia, Lithuania. Medieval Greece is great fun.

And that's just the continent I know about. What're you intending to undertake?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Templarorder123 Book Discussion 23
SDNess Writing Discussion 8