Doctor Who Audience Figures

TheEndIsNigh

...Prepare Thyself
Supporter
@Ursa

Actually I thought is was longer than four episodes. I seem to recall there was one story line that took up almost the whole season, but after looking at the internet I see they rarely lasted longer than seven weeks.

And no, it doesn't please me that they are missing.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the 'oldies' again

Bagpuss

Shipwrecked & comatose - where's the mango juice?
I seem to recall there was one story line that took up almost the whole season
That sounds like you might be thinking of: The Trial of a Time Lord - the Colin Baker series that went over 14 episodes and 4 serials in 1986.

However, the longest single serial in Classic Who was: "The Daleks' Master Plan" which was 12 episodes. This was series 3 (with William Hartnell as the Doctor). Series 3 had 45 episodes (the episodes were 25 minutes each) and consisted of ten separate serials.

Actually I thought is was longer than four episodes
The Celestial Toymaker serial had only 4 episodes. Again it was a series 3 serial with a 25-min episode length.

thaddeus6th

Bagpuss, didn't the Master Plan serial not feature, or feature only briefly, the Doctor and his companions, instead focusing on entirely one-off characters in the Who universe? Think I read the book of it.

TheEndIsNigh

...Prepare Thyself
Supporter
The one I'm thinking about had Who (I think Pertwee) wrestling with a room full of plastic tubes that hung from the ceiling. And yes I do seem to recall they all got split up and had their own problems to solve. Actually thinking about it, I think I enjoyed it at the time apart from the dragging on a bit aspects.

Oops, sorry @Dave gone off topic.

Matteo

There was also the Tom Baker "Key to Time" series (the one with Mary Tamm as Romana). They had to find six segments of a crystal type thing (the key) that were scattered around the universe - there was also something about a Black and a White Guardian. Each segment was found during a separate story (in the usual 4 episode format (maybe the last story was longer?)) and that took up the whole of a series. So not one story over an entire series exactly, but linked.

Edward M. Grant

It's impossible to accurately compare currents ratings with Classic Who. Even going back to 2005 is hard because the market has changed so much. There's way more choice in what and how to watch plus a world wide audience to taking into account.
Yes. I'm actually amazed by how low the viewer numbers can be and still hit the top 10. But I probably shouldn't be: I haven't watched broadcast TV in at least five years, except on a few occasions when visiting friends who still have it (which is where I saw the few episodes of the new Who series that I have seen).

I think Jodi Whittaker has been excellent, the problem with this series (for me) is the same as the Capaldi era - to writing is absolutely awful. Add to that the weak production team that's been brought in and the fact that they don't believe in Whittaker - why else would they insist on three companions, one of them a bigger male star than Whittaker? The Xmas edition has added another 3 established names to the roster - they're trying to buy an audience with big stars.