Star Trek: Short Treks - Calypso

Cathbad

Level 30 Geek Master
An excellent character study in a quarter hour!

I'm really enjoying these shorts! This one occurs aboard the Discovery, left adrift by the crew for a thousand years!

Oh, and
The best character study I've seen on the small screen in years has naught to do with a human!

vtqboWC.jpg

Cryocoffin, the only way to travel the universe and never see it. Not until you wake up in the distant future and know nothing about where you are, where you came from and why there are nobody in the ship that has been sailing the sea made from stars forever. That is exactly what happened to Craft, who is the man in the coffin, except he wasn't in the discovery. Instead he had been doing that in his own personal fighter craft that looked too advanced for anything we've seen in the ST history.

What is really interesting is that the Computer at the heart of the Discovery has somehow managed to keep the ship functioning for God know how long. There are still no androids, no robots, no mechanoids helping the Ai. Maybe that is the reason why Sarah, the Ai, couldn't repair Craft's 'escape pod.' Her systems are automated, but in the order to function, she need arms and legs.

Sarah claims that she has been evolving herself while the crew has been gone for 'almost thousand years.' You almost wish that the StarFleet would have installed the Emergency Holograph System in the ship, before it disappeared. The problem however is that while Sarah entertains Craft in many ways, she never really explains how the crew left the ship and never came back.

When Craft explains to her how it is in his planet, and short after while asks her to join him for a dance in the bridge, the short starts to resemble a weird short Robisson Crusoe. I'm not sure, which one of them is Robinson and which is Friday, but it is sad that at the end, the Ai is doomed to drift for another thousand years alone.

Why they abandoned Discovery?

As a note CBS is doing a fantastic job with these mini episodes. They are much better than anything that other series has done in the youtube. But unlike with the youtube, they aren't as popular, because they don't reach as massive audience.

here are still no androids, no robots, no mechanoids
I've always thought there was a conscious effort to outlaw/disencourage the creation of robots/mechanoids, perhaps because of the 21st Century's citizens suffering because of lost jobs and income (before a new theory of self-realization kicked in, eclipsing personal wealth goals).

This was good. I've liked the actor since he was in Supernatural, before Leverage (which was also good).

Does this mean the ship will eventually end up floating abandoned and alone.

perhaps because of the 21st Century's citizens suffering because of lost jobs and income (before a new theory of self-realization kicked in, eclipsing personal wealth goals).

Then, can you explain me why is that all their shipyards, throughout all series and movies, has been mostly automated? They have included that feature even in the title sequence? Surely that will help planets more then building automated ships and giving them droids plus some drones to do the maintenance, when the crew is absence.

Like a good soldier, the ship continues to obey the last order given it. I believe she said she had no idea where they'd gone, nor why they hadn't come back.

Could be Discovery will be listed as "Lost and Presumed Destroyed". There was an episode in TNG (I believe it was the episode that Geordi's mother's ship was declared lost) that mentioned this was not terribly uncommon.

Could be Discovery will be listed as "Lost and Presumed Destroyed".

Sure and as the universe is so vast, it should be a common category. Somehow they never run out fuel, crew, torpedoes or spare-parts for the repairs. But yet the vessels are not miners. They don't know how to collect matter, process it and transform it to useful material. Also they have never explained how the distress bacons ... er, beacons can transmit SOS in an instant and it does take years to reach StarFleet ears, which are sometimes hundred or thousands of light years away. Just flip a switch and local AA arrives within five minutes ... except in this episode.

I don't think the Federation is around anymore in this one. Something catastrophic happened.

ST:D's continues having trouble. It is just like at the beginning of the ST:NG, when they kept firing people left and right, because either Studio or Roddenbury ended in a conflict with them. They should leave these people alone.