November 2018 100 word anonymous challenge Discussion thread.

farntfar

Venu d'un pays ou il ne pleut pas
This is the thread for discussion, relating to the November 2018 challenge.

This month's theme and genre are

Theme: Obsession / Addiction
Genre: Science Fiction or Fantasy
Please PM your entries to me.

Happy writing and good luck.

Woah!

The first 3 stories are in, and we're going for a great start.

Keep 'em coming, lads and lasses. Let's have a bumper crop for this month.

Story no. 4 arrived last night for this months challenge.

Keep 'em coming.

ER.....

What's with this dummy story business.

Really all I need to do is bullet point why I keep coming back to this god forsaken site.

Would that count?

As in

Got to get my fix...
Got to log in.
Where's that rubber tube, oh wrong site sorry.
Need that rush
What's this, the Internet is down s--t, I'll go mad I telt ya mad, mad, mad.
Wait, I see a post I've not read.

Kind of thing

TEIN

Are you asking what I meant by

If anyone wishes to volunteer to be the extra/dummy author, please PM me to that effect.
in the stories thread?

If so, it's for the "Guess the author" game at the end.

The stories in this challenge are not posted by the authors but are sent by PM to the challenge runner, (This month it's me) who posts them all under his or her name. That way you won't be tempted to vote for a story because it was written by a friend of yours (or indeed not to vote for someone because you don't like them), and the authors are only revealed after the end of voting.

This also allows for a game of guess the author.

Once posting is closed, the challenge runner gives out a list of all the authors and people try to match the authors to the stories.
It was originally expected that guessers would produce a complete list of the months entries with an author against each, which of course would make it difficult if you had entered something yourself, as you would either have to give yourself away by guessing that you'd written your own story or get one of your guesses deliberately wrong in order to put your own name against someone elses story.

So we decided to put up one more name than the total number of entries. Then you could just leave your own name off the list and use the dummy authors name instead.

It was all a bit optimistic, as it implied someone was likely to be able to guess them all correctly, which is very far from the truth, generally, but the practice continues.

If you were asking about something else, then I'm sorry, I've misunderstood.

P.S. Story 5 is now up.

One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do. -- A look into the eyes of madness.

Addicted -- A portrait of ruthless conquest.

"Ideas" -- An account of extraordinary education.

Beware of spoilers -- A tale of frustrated ambition.

One to be Done -- A study of similarity between different beings.

Junkie -- A story of desperation.

@Victoria Silverwolf

Is there some significance to the underlines?

Some mysterious code of which we know not?

Are we delving, once again, into the murky depths of your "secret" life with the security services.

I've done some analyses.

One is Addicted, Beware of One.

No doubt a reference to some verbal code passed amongst your "cell".

We can only speculate on Who the one is of course!

Victoria has copied the underlining from the entries as I put them up, which is normally as I receive them from the authors.

In the case of "Ideas" the title was bold, underlined and in quotes, but was also centred on the page. It would appear that a copy and paste can't cope with so many special formats (bold, underlined and centred) and thus the underlining and centreing got lost in the wash.
My deepest apologies to the author and(**) to you TEIN (**if you aren't the author yourself as Karn suggests) if something was lost in the translation.
I shall try to be more rigorous in future.