BristolCon 2019

Serendipity

A Traditional Eccentric!
BristolCon in 2019 will be on October 26th at the same hotel - the Doubletree Hilton Bristol. Hopefully it will not suffer the perfect travel storm of roadworks and railways (Bristol Temple Meads is only five minutes walk away) that it did in 2018.

Guests of Honour - Diane Duane (author), Gareth Powell (author) and Andy Bigwood (artist).

I plan to be there... anyone else mad enough to plan that far in advance?

the perfect travel storm of roadworks and railways
Quite independently of the roadworks within Bristol (some of which actually helped me negotiate the last part of the journey o_O), I managed to find yet another route from the south coast to the hotel that took over four hours of my time. :(

I shall be seeking out another route in 2019, though with little expectation of the journey time being less than is usually the case.

BristolCon in 2019 will be on October 26th at the same hotel - the Doubletree Hilton Bristol. Hopefully it will not suffer the perfect travel storm of roadworks and railways (Bristol Temple Meads is only five minutes walk away) that it did in 2018.

Guests of Honour - Diane Duane (author), Gareth Powell (author) and Andy Bigwood (artist).

I plan to be there... anyone else mad enough to plan that far in advance?
I’m stuffed. I’m going to Edgelit, Octocon, Dublin and Belfast and, without an invite (cos then the Arts Council cover my travel - that’s how I’m covering Edgelit) I’m too broke for anything more!

I should be attending again. It's always a good get-together, and very friendly. I enjoyed Bar-Con as well.

Not sure how I can afford everything this coming year, though. I'm also supposed to be going to Dublin and Belfast.

Just to let you good people know - BristolCon will be holding two workshop / kaffeeklatsch streams this year, instead of the usual one. A call has gone out for anyone wanting to run a workshop or host a kaffeeklatsch - suggestions to Dan, at programme[at]bristolcon[dot]org by Aprill 11th.

I going for the first time, not my first con, but my first bristolcon. My first con ( outside Sweden,) was eastercon 2008 at Heathrow. I buyed my membership yesterday. I'm from Sweden, Gothenburg, I usually vist con in England, like Eastercon and Novacon, last August I addented my first Worldcon in the US, San Jose. This year I attending both WorldCon and Eurocon, and two small cons in Sweden. And now Bristolcon, and the Danish sf-con one month before Bristolcon, can I say I really love sf-con, my favourite writer are, okay I've a few favourite, but if I'd to choose three I chose, Arthur C Clarke, Robert Silverberg, Robert Heinlein. On tv I watch Star trek discovery, Nightflyers and the Flash. I like films, both sf, and non sf-films. I looking forward to Bristolcon in Oct.

I going for the first time, not my first con, but my first bristolcon. My first con ( outside Sweden,) was eastercon 2008 at Heathrow. I buyed my membership yesterday. I'm from Sweden, Gothenburg, I usually vist con in England, like Eastercon and Novacon, last August I addented my first Worldcon in the US, San Jose. This year I attending both WorldCon and Eurocon, and two small cons in Sweden. And now Bristolcon, and the Danish sf-con one month before Bristolcon, can I say I really love sf-con, my favourite writer are, okay I've a few favourite, but if I'd to choose three I chose, Arthur C Clarke, Robert Silverberg, Robert Heinlein. On tv I watch Star trek discovery, Nightflyers and the Flash. I like films, both sf, and non sf-films. I looking forward to Bristolcon in Oct.

Valkommen til BristolCon. Jag hoppas ni har en bra tid vid os.

I've just tried to join, but after logging in and clicking on the Renew button (once I'd found a page on which it appeared)), I was presented with a new page that would not let me add my type of membership (either by using the non-functioning drop-down menu or by typing it in). On the basis that I was renewing (and so my membership type would persist), I clicked on the Renew button on that page. Nothing happened, specifically I wasn't asked to pay.

Unless, which seems unlikely, they have kept my payment details, I am still not a member for this year but I can't get back to the page to try again (i.e. clicking on the Buy Your Membership button again takes me to a blank page, as does clicking on the Your Memberships tag).

:(

EDIT: Logging out and in again, I can see the pages again, butyy they still don't work. As well as Renew, I'm offered the opportunity to Add a New Membership, but if that is the way to renew, whey is there a Renew option at all? :confused:

Last edited:
I've just tried to join, but after logging in and clicking on the Renew button (once I'd found a page on which it appeared)), I was presented with a new page that would not let me add my type of membership (either by using the non-functioning drop-down menu or by typing it in). On the basis that I was renewing (and so my membership type would persist), I clicked on the Renew button on that page. Nothing happened, specifically I wasn't asked to pay.

Unless, which seems unlikely, they have kept my payment details, I am still not a member for this year but I can't get back to the page to try again (i.e. clicking on the Buy Your Membership button again takes me to a blank page, as does clicking on the Your Memberships tag).

:(
Is there a contact email?

Is there a contact email?

Yes, there's a membership@ for memberships. I'll send them an email and ask what's going on later today. (I had a spare quarter of an hour and so I thought I'd renew before I forgot.)

Note: Last year was the first where one had to have a membership account to pay to attend, rather than just paying them the money, so this is the first time I've had to renew. As others have already renewed (@Serendipity for one), I was wondering if they had worked out what to do, or if the issue is that the site is having problems.

Pfft. Bring on all the cons!
I've got something else on in Bristol in July, and got to get a new...ensemble ;) for my work summer do (big anniversary, so it's full formal), and a couple of other events, as well. Expensive year.
Four for me: an Eastercon, a westercon, an evenfartherwestercon and a Westerostercon....

Usually, it's only one a year.
I think we're sharing three cons, then. Normally only one for me, as well.

Many thanks for pointing out problem.

The computer guru has got back to me - he has found and fixed the mistake. So fingers crossed it should work (I'm having one of those bumble tumble days myself - on top of having a rush of word-flow!). Apologies for any inconvenience caused.