Netflix what’s worth watching?

anno

Hiya after fighting it for months and after getting Amazon Prime finally got Netflix uk, what’s good and worth watching?
Sucker for documentaries and decent series, main reason I plunged was for Narcos series3,
Thanks in advance guys and girls!!!

finally got Netflix uk, what’s good and worth watching?

It's hard to know your preferences, but the thing you have to know is that the Neflix has an algorith that will tune to those things you would like to watch. More you give them data (what you browse and what you watch) better they become as their system finds out those programs for you. They have a loads of them, so click the add to my list button and it learns.

Note also that they have a back catalogue that you can access through searches, their system will remember those searches and you might get the item sooner then later. Also if you're partner wants to join, give them an account as you're allowed to have up to 5 accounts inside the subscription. The system will tune on them as well without mixing their preferences with yours.

Amazon Prime is different beast and although we have it, I'm not as custom with their thing as I am with the Netflix.

That algorithm never made any sense to me. It seems to be utterly unaware of my aversion to bad storytelling... ;)

Anyway, I just finished watching an almost endless series about the Vietnam war, and found it incredibly interesting.

Maniac is a quirky scifi series with great performances, and works well as a standalone season. Some of the best TV I have seen this year.

Fightworld - docu series about people who fight for a living, and sometimes for their life, in various places around the world. Worth it even if you're not a martial arts practitioner.

Dark Tourist - not the best quality in terms of presentation, but it's still fascinating, if only for the sheer boldness of the presenter himself.

Hey, @anno!

Okay, there is almost too much to recommend, on Netflix. I’ll mention my wife and I live in Europe, and we don’t get all of the shows/movies available on Netflix in other regions (so if you live in the States, for example, you might have some shows/movies we do not have here, and vice versa). Also, Netflix, where we are, serves as the releasing agent for certain networks from America, that aren’t available where we are; so, Mad Men which is what...an AMC show?...is shown on Netflix; you’ve likely seen some of the shows I’ll recommend, on other networks. But here are some selections my wife and I greatly enjoyed (some obvious, some more obscure):

Series:

House of Cards (US version; haven’t seen the original)
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul (as good as BB, we think)
Mindhunter
Stranger Things
Daredevil
Narcos (the first 2 seasons)
Godless
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (not a kids' show, and surprisingly wonderful!)
The Americans
Lost in Space (the new one)
Peaky Blinders
Rick and Morty
Homeland
Bates Motel
Orphan Black (the first three seasons were very good)
Peep Show (weird/hilarious British comedy series)
Master of None (cool/hip comedy series)
Love (bittersweet dramedy)
Maniac
The Defenders (Marvel)
Star Trek (most/possible all of the live-action series)

There are a lot of really good documentaries available here, including several from Ken Burns:

Prohibition
The Vietnam War
The War

In case you enjoy anime:

One Punch Man
Ajin: Demi-Human

The SF film Annihilation is very good.

They show a fair number of classic movies on our Netflix, for example:

The Godfather
Touch of Evil
2001: a space oddyssey
Barry Lyndon
The Exorcist
Zodiac (well, a classic someday, maybe)
The Thing
Wallace & Gromit!
Even the newly released, ‘lost’ Orson Welles film The Other Side of the Wind.

The list is nearly endless...Firefly, Serenity, Inception, Sherlock, Sunshine, The Wizard of Oz, etc. We have both Netflix and HBO, and watch Netflix at least twice as much, I’d say. It can become a serious habit. :) Hope this helped, CC

I've just learned that Netflix UK removed The Expanse last month due to the Amazon deal, so that's a no-go I'm afraid :(

I've just learned that Netflix UK removed The Expanse last month due to the Amazon deal, so that's a no-go I'm afraid

If you saved the episodes in your harddrive, don't worry, just watch whenever you want. Otherwise you'll have to get hardcopies. The AMZ deal is fair and I doubt they paid little for the Netflix to remove it from their service.

Couple more docu recommedations:

The Inexplicable Universe, with Neil deGrasse Tyson - a series of lectures mainly about what we don't know yet, presented in a very straight forward and accessible way.

Also look up Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth. If you are a fiction writer of any kind, no doubt there will be something useful in these interviews for you.

@Lumens Power of Myth has good info, but could have been condensed. Better to have on while doing something else than to sit and watch. But then, I guess I could say that about all documentaries....

@anno Searching for Sugarman. An unbelievably true story.
The Civil War by Ken Burns. It's not just dates, names, bills, and acts of congress.... it is intensely personal.
Stranger Things. First season is a must see.
The Power of One. Very good tale, but don't know how true it is to the novel.
Misaeng. Twenty-something Korean office workers. I loved Mr. Oh.
Longmire. The first two seasons.... oh, and the very, very, very last scene of the series. Don't like Vic.
Groundhog Day. Just brilliant.
Heathers. Like it or hate it.

Right now on Netflix , if you are tired of comic book movies, or you want to see something totally different from what you have seen in the last few years.... can't beat The Ballad of Buster Scruggs !

Attachments

• wings.jpg
    wings.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 201
I would agree pretty much with everything Cat's Cradle put up, although I can't seem to find Peep Show or Firefly/Serenity which is a shame.

If you like intelligent police series I would also add The Fall and Happy Valley, which both only have the 1st 2 series, which is a shame.
Also definitely Luther if you haven't seen it.
Paranoid and Collateral are also good.

On a more SFF note, Black Mirror and Penny Dreadful.

Orange is the new black is on there
as well as all of Doctor Who (new and classic)except the current series, and the complete Monty Python set (films and TV)

And Cat's. You should try the UK House of Cards. I think you'd like it.

Thx, farntfar! I will try to find it; it's rated very highly at IMDB.

It's available on Netflix and well worth looking for, Cat's. At least it's on the UK one.
And I think it will hit your type of humour.
1543419470339.png

But it's hard to understand how they make their associations on a search.
House of cards uk ==> Palace (of westminster) ==>The Crown and Outlaw King?
...Palace ==>Meghan Markle ==>Suits ???
House of cards US ==> President ==>Designated survivor perhaps and then Homeland?
Politicians in general ==> Mad Men. yes absolutely.
but how do you get to Sabrina, Daredevil, Better call Saul or Wanderlust? And Friends?

In no particular order, My List includes:
  • Black Mirror
  • Altered Carbon
  • Travellers
  • Dirk Gently
  • Colony
  • 12 Monkeys
  • The Punisher
  • Gotham
  • Cleverman
  • The Good Place
  • Daredevil
  • Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
  • El Ministerio del Tiempo / The Ministry of Time
  • Orphan Black
  • Jessica Jones
  • The Haunting of Hill House

A thread revival. Yea!

I am missing a few good series in what has been mentioned already, which I would like to add:
Sherlock
Once Upon A Time (Season 1, forget the rest)
Black Sails
The Umbrella Academy
Safe
Pine Cap
Godless

Back