Doctor Who (37) 11.05: The Tsuranga Conundrum

Just finally caught up with this episode and I guess I'm another anomaly as I really enjoyed it! Loved all the bizarre elements of it, especially the weird little creature. I'm turning into a big fan of all the teamwork and other characters being competent and having skills, and the Doctor being a guiding hand.

I don't think it was very different from any number of Tennant or Smith episodes, and the little creature was quite on par as well. I liked it just fine.

Not sure why people think the screwdriver is being used any more than usual, either.

The sonic screwdriver has been overused for a very long time; decades even. For those people who don't like what they see on TV, there are additional tools that can be implemented. :oops:

I agree about the screwdriver, it's not any more overused than during any of the new season. At least the old series had the sense to have a baddy blast it.

I may be one of a small minority that enjoyed this episode. I even liked the creature, but we're still a long, long way off from the show being as good as it was before Chibnall took it and wrecked it. At least with rubbish plots and poor villains I was consoled by the idea that the character development might at least be good, but man! The acting/direction in this episode was appalling. Well... the show had to take a down-turn one day I suppose. Usually I got through a season thinking that one episode was a bit poor. Now I'm not going to be surprised to get to the end and think that only one episode was almost passable.

I used to be a Who fan, but haven't watched this series beyond a bit of the first episode, but I keep looking at reviews and reactions of people who keep watching. And now news of the tv ratings are dropping.

It's political correctness rubbish, the alien villains don't seem to be that menacing and the PC message applied with a sledgehammer and the stories themselves seem to be forgettable.

And today's episode is about the British Raj...I squirm to think how the PC production team are going to turn the British rulers are going to be a worse threat than the supposed 'demons' of the story title.

I've probably missed something, like where it's used as a screwdriver
I think the first time we ever saw the sonic screwdriver was in a Patrick Troughton episode, "the Temple of the Cybermen" or something like that.
He really did use it to turn screws at a distance, allowing him to remove a metal wall plate and open the door, so he and Zoe (?) could escape, if I remember correctly.
It turned the screws with appalling slowness so as to build up the tension. Some of you will be able to remember Troughton putting on his exasperated face.

I remember Tom Baker's Doctor unscrewing screws with it, but I thought it was The Ark in Space, the set was reused for Revenge of the Cybermen, but the sonic was introduced during Patrick Troughton's tenure, possibly Fury from the Deep?

I think the first time we ever saw the sonic screwdriver was in a Patrick Troughton episode, "the Temple of the Cybermen" or something like that.
It wasn't the Temple of the cybermen, it was the Tomb of the cybermen, and it was Victoria, not Zoe.