Doctor Who (37) 11.05: The Tsuranga Conundrum

@Bagpuss.

Re the cranes at night.

They would have been doing something useful during the day, like being cranes.

"Hey, do you mind if we use your cranes for TV program?"

"Sod off and get a helmit on that head, this is a building site you pimple!"

"No seriously, we want to use your cranes in a episode of Team Tardis"

"Oh! How much you paying? It'll cost you if we have to stop work."

"Damn, how about if we filmed at night?"

"Yeah, that might work. Ok then, how much you paying?"

"A copy of the Radio Times, some dolly nixtures and a picture of the cast drinking tea sound OK"

"Deal"

MRG, the screwdriver has long been overused as a get out of jail free card.

I still haven't watched the new series.

It would seem that the viewing figures are taking a massive tumble and the show has now lost 2 million viewers, going from 8.2m opening episode to 6.1m on Sunday nights episode.

To be honest reading the reviews and the general plot outlines it would seem that political and moral philosophizing in the guise of entertainment isn't going down well with the viewership and is one of the reason for the decline.

Although it would be fair to note that opening and finale episodes tend to take higher viewing figures and potentially bonfire celebrations had an impact.

Lets see how the viewing figures go from here - next weeks episode is about Colonial era India I think i read somewhere. Not sure that is going to help ratings thought it does fit into their theme and overarching narrative.

Doctor and Co. encountered angry space Gizmo post midnight feeding. When the computer was describing the Pting, all I could think about was the old Happy Fun Ball disclaimer.

Yes, it’s Happy Fun Ball! The toy sensation that’s sweeping the nation! Only $14.95 at participating stores! Get one today!

Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly, and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Happy Fun Ball.

Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.

Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture,should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.

Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.

Discontinue use of Happy Fun Ball if any of the following occurs:

• itching
  • vertigo
  • dizziness
  • tingling in extremities
  • loss of balance or coordination
  • slurred speech
  • temporary blindness
  • profuse sweating
  • or heart palpitations.

If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.

Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types of skin.

When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be returned to its special container and kept under refrigeration. Failure to do so relieves the makers of HappyFun Ball, Wacky Products Incorporated, and its parent company, GlobalChemical Unlimited, of any and all liability.

Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an unknown glowing green substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

Happy Fun Ball has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is being dropped by our war planes on Iraq.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Happy Fun Ball comes with a lifetime warranty.

This is the worst sort of filler episode and will hopefully not be repeated.

I may have been too tired when I watched this, but I didn't understand the hospital ship without medics or how the lovable alien thing consumed an explosion. However, I've decided that this is a kids programme now and if they still like it, then it isn't really my place to complain.

I may have been too tired when I watched this, but I didn't understand the hospital ship without medics or how the lovable alien thing consumed an explosion. However, I've decided that this is a kids programme now and if they still like it, then it isn't really my place to complain.

That's all well and good @Dave, but your forgetting two things.

1] Some of us have never grown up.

2] A lot of us are only men, and as you know, a lot of men like to bitch about the world over a pint.

I stand (okay, sit) totally confused.

I found this episode quite good and entertaining! But I understand most on the Chrons are hard SF fans, and perhaps that's why I see the episode so differently.

I also don't tend to watch shows I don't like. ;)

@Narkalui

I run a 'retreat' where you can be cured of your condition.

It's a rough course though and very expensive, but afterward you will be a new person and you will wake to a new world. The flowers will smell feasher, the wine will taste fuller, the air will be clean and wholesome.

Of course your obsession with Coronation Street and Eastenders will seem to be a symptom of the same kind of illness, but at least your fixes will be regular and cheaper.

@Narkalui

I run a 'retreat' where you can be cured of your condition.

It's a rough course though and very expensive, but afterward you will be a new person and you will wake to a new world. The flowers will smell feasher, the wine will taste fuller, the air will be clean and wholesome.

Of course your obsession with Coronation Street and Eastenders will seem to be a symptom of the same kind of illness, but at least your fixes will be regular and cheaper.

I think I've heard of that therapy. Is that the one where patients wear that helmet from A Clockwork Orange, and are forced to watch Timeflight, The End of Time and most of Colin Baker's tenure on endless loop?

Just finally caught up with this episode and I guess I'm another anomaly as I really enjoyed it! Loved all the bizarre elements of it, especially the weird little creature. I'm turning into a big fan of all the teamwork and other characters being competent and having skills, and the Doctor being a guiding hand.