Doctor Who (37) 11.05: The Tsuranga Conundrum

Lenny

Press "X" to admire hat
dw1105.jpg
Injured and stranded in the wilds of a far-flung galaxy, the Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan must band together with a group of strangers to survive against one of the universe's most deadly - and unusual - creatures.

-----------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this episode
inside this topic. Reviews of
the episode are encouraged
-----------------------------

That was an interesting one! Almost like Alien meets The Orville. I'm sure we've seen the Doctor confused by the situation before, but never quite so unsure and vulnerable.

I would very much like to read of the exploits of Avocado Pear (a distant relative of Duck Dodgers, perhaps?).

I think there's a recurring theme with this series: it's a bit pants. This week the bad guy was a space gremlin. Rubbish!

I've enjoyed 2 or 3 episodes of the series so far (especially the Rosa Parks one), but this one was rather pants - easily the worst as I can't think of any major redeeming features. It was funny to see Doc Brown, who I only know from Taskmaster.

The space gremlin reminded me a bit of Stitch from Lilo and Stitch. I kinda liked this one, it was fun. Not much else, but fun. I found the subplot with the pregnant man a bit distracting. I just kept wondering how his species managed before the invention of the C-section.

Is it just me, or is anyone else wondering why every single good alien looks exactly like a human? At least previous series made them blue or gave them spikes or something.

EDIT:

I'm afraid I have to take issue with the some of the detrremental comments above. We were obviously watching different programs.

e.g. @Narkalui , @dannymcg , @MemoryTale

Well... What a splendid episode.

I think we can see where things are going.

It was truely horrific.

I'll be honest the CCB are to be congratulated on this newdirection, might I say genre.

It goes beyond SFF and takes Science Fiction/Horror to a new level rarely, if ever, seen before.

Oh there were some traditional elements.

Who, frenetic as ever (though apparently injured) like a real trooper, pushing through the pain and getting on with the job in hand and talking twenty to the dozen. Waving that screwdriver round like she's done an apprentiship in heavy engineering - Marvelous.

The Classic, now almost punch line like, (What do you think of it so far). Get off this ship cos I'm here and you don't want to tangle with me moment. One day, maybe they'll have the guts to have the aliens say.

"Oh Christ, we didn't know you were on the planet. Yes Mam, right away Mam. Please don't go back in time to our planet and stop the mold changing the atmosphere, giving it oxygen. We promise to be a good planet from now on and NEVER comit genocide again Mam." I live in hope.

(Mind you, what with every alien race and their dogs now having time travel this has become a bit of an empty threat. Obviously something the writers couldn't see/understand when they started handing out time braclets)

The heart to hearts between G and R. I'm sure the writers have plenty more of that to come. It fills a few minutes and costs so little. Just change the green screen background and they could have a couple of hours of fill-in material in well, a couple of hours.

The lavish sets. My God, it scares me to death at what the increase in TV licence is going to be this year if old Auntie is going to throw money about like it's going out of fashion on sets like that. In fairness though, I did appreciate the way thay made an attempt cut the costs by only using just enough screens for any particular shot. I assume they had to wait until the BBC newsroom screens weren't being used so they could sneek them, out as required. (why couldn't they just make use of the newsroom studio I don't know).

But, by far, the most amazing part of this weeks tale, and it can't be ignored; it's the elephant on the ceiling, was the MONSTER.

I'll be honest, I sh*t myself ( I'm sorry but some things can only be described in proper terms). Talk about hiding behind the sofa!!! You wouldn't want to go there, no sir. What with me and the rest of the family, it's like a Paris street corner back there. RugMeClean will have a real job on with that lot I can tell you.

I've been critical in the past about the writers and their lack of imagination, always drumming up the same old same old monsters. The Daleks, the Cybermen etc. rolled out given a fresh lick of paint (Mr Faulty) and made to suffer the usual indignity of having of Who give them another ten rounds, only to find themselves wheeled back in the shed till the next time.

But this. This goes beyond anything I've ever dreamed of (and I can tell you I've had a few nightmares in my time). O'Bannon will be spinning at how he could have made one of the most horrendous, evil, gut clinching monster films ever seen.

If only, if only he could have waited until the talent we now have was available. Imagine the films he could have made.

Plus, it's a sad loss to history, that such a wonderfully rounded and well detailed monster has been wasted on a one off (though wonderful) episode of Team Tardis.

Last edited:
So...

A lot of running.

Look, we're not sexist. See...we killed off the main male character and put a female character in charge of the ship.

Some more running.

What? You didn't notice we're not sexist? OK, how about the most decorated captain in the universe being a woman (and ethnic, just to cover our bases).

More running.

OH COME ON, YOU STILL DIDN'T NOTICE?! RIGHT...HOW ABOUT A BLOKE BEING PREGNANT. SEE; NOT SEXIST!!

Even more running.

We're also educational. See, this is how a particle accelerator works - which the Doctor will take a moment to explain, even though everyone only has minutes to live.

Another cosy heart to heart between Graham and Ryan - see; we have feelings too.

Lots of running.

Will the BBC be selling that deadly alien as a soft toy?

The Doctor is still doing her "babbling/confused" shtick - my wife insists she's doing David Tennant (and she's certain of that since she paid close attention when he was on...ahem!). But at least there was less of it this week.

The avocado pear joke was terrible - and highly improbable; confusing one person (e.g. a footballer) for a great hero would, maybe, have worked.

Did I mention the running?

Last edited:
So...

A lot of running.

Look, we're not sexist. See...we killed off the main male character and put a female character in charge of the ship.

Some more running.

What? You didn't notice we're not sexist? OK, how about the most decorated captain in the universe being a woman (and ethnic, just to cover our bases).

More running.

OH COME ON, YOU STILL DIDN'T NOTICE?! RIGHT...HOW ABOUT A BLOKE BEING PREGNANT. SEE; NOT SEXIST!!

I like Jodie as the doctor, the writing needs to improve. The show doesn't need to keep trying to convince us it's not sexist and get back to entertainment.

I like Jodie as the doctor, the writing needs to improve. The show doesn't need to keep trying to convince us it's not sexist and get back to entertainment.
Actually, I agree; she's good.

But the writing is terrible.

Jodie could be the most fantastic actress on the planet (I've only seen her as the Doctor) but she still has to say the words she's told to say and say them in the way she's told to say them. Presumably there is some leeway and changes made at the read-through or rehearsals, and she perhaps has some say in how she plays the role, but at the end of the day whoever plays the character is reliant on the script and direction.

After watching the first two episodes and not the third or fourth (clashed with F1), I opted not to watch this, but I did really enjoy Matteo's post above.

I thought I'd drifted off into some sort of parallel Futurama universe

Tsuranga/Turanga Leela
Cute alien eats stuff - Pting/Nibbler
Pregnant male - Yoss/Kif

And is there anything the sonic screwdriver can't do?
  • It can scan aliens/holograms/things like a tricorder
  • It can open locked doors just by pointing
  • It can turn wheels on closed manhole covers just by pointing
  • It can log on to alien computers just by pointing
  • It can reboot itself, even though it's been drained of all energy
I've probably missed something, like where it's used as a screwdriver
Oh yes, it can get writers out of a dead-end in the script

I think its overuse is beginning to grate

I've probably missed something, like where it's used as a screwdriver

I'm sure I remember it being used as a screwdriver at least once in the original show.

But, yeah, it does seem to be super-overpowered these days; though that also seemed to be the case in some episodes of the original.

Edit: and you're right, it is Futurama. I was trying to work out where I'd seen the alien before, and it was Nibbler that I was thinking of.

• It can scan aliens/holograms/things like a tricorder
  • It can open locked doors just by pointing
  • It can turn wheels on closed manhole covers just by pointing
  • It can log on to alien computers just by pointing
  • It can reboot itself, even though it's been drained of all energy

You should see the list on Wikipedia. All that just to avoid giving him/her a gun.

So, is it me, or is the most "on the nose" sequence of dialogue in this episode the sequence where they name the baby?

I mean, we're half way through this series and I'm getting the sense that I got in the first episode - which is basically that the writers have a series of beats that they really want to hit and that they're prepared to re-write what comes before those beats in order to hit them - even if what then comes before those beats doesn't make a whole deal of logical sense after they've re-written it.

In the first episode, I got the sense that the beat they really wanted to hit was the crane show-down with the Stenza. And logic be-damned as to how they got to that. As a result, the first episode is sort-of ok but, in my opinion, there were better ways to write that episode if you started with Ryan and the glossy-air thing and then went with the idea that Ryan was the object of the hunt. You couldn't have got to the crane from that starting-point, but hey - I wasn't convinced by a crane show-down at night anyway.

In this episode, the sense I got from it is that most of the events are disposable and the only really strong beat they wanted to hit was naming the baby at the end. There's such time devoted to it that it feels like it's significant. So the father named the baby "Avocado Pear" after "the ancient earth hero" and when Graham and Ryan said that that sounded ridiculous and the baby should be named after their actual names. The father says, in no uncertain terms, that that that would subject the baby to ridicule.

So this is where I branch into a theory that, if it later turns out that I'm wrong (and I probably am), will probably subject me to ridicule - and you can all laugh at me later. I mean, I'm probably wrong, so nothing ventured, nothing gained and here we go:

If we take the idea of "Avocado Pear", then the word "pear" could be equally re-written as the homonym "pair" meaning "two". Equally the idea of "Avocado" could be re-written as the homonym "avvocato" in italian or (if you translate it) "advocate" in english.

So "Avocado Pear" could be re-written as "the advocating pair" or "the pair of advocates" colloquially. Translated back to the series, then it would suggest that Graham and Ryan are the pair of advocates the baby is named after and then the whole baby-naming is not quite the joke the episode makes it out to be. Quite what that means for the rest of the series, I'm not sure (anti-climactic this theory, isn't it :)).Oddly enough, it sounds like there could be a trial ahead and Graham and Ryan will be somehow instrumental in speaking (i.e. advocating) for one side of the argument or the other.

You should see the list on Wikipedia. All that just to avoid giving him/her a gun.

Blimey, and I thought I was mildly critical of the thing.

Though I think Old Mikipeed missed the main one

Completely ruins any credibility they storyline might have had.

(Yeah right, like that's going to happen)