November 2018 reading thread

Just started Robert Louis Stevenson's The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde. Picked it up in hardback for a tenner (it has other Stevenson stories too):)

A favourite of mine in its own right and as a progenitor of the literary weird tale.

20181104_183659.jpg

Published 2018: with latest knowledge for laypersons like myself; well written and readable, but with a tendency to ! exclamation! marks!

View attachment 47937

Published 2018: with latest knowledge for laypersons like myself; well written and readable, but with a tendency to ! exclamation! marks!
I take it back. Don't waste your time with this book. It's rubbish. After reading (largely skimming) the first 5 chapters, waiting -- anything new or interesting could be summed up in just a few sentences. Avoid. Imo

I'm starting November off with The All Souls trilogy by Deborah Harkness. It starts with A Discovery of Witches. Shadows of the Night is followed by The Book of Life. I have shied away from these books because I'd been told the bordered on supernatural romance. The just finished season one of the TV version got me to go ahead and give them a try.

Finished - Uncompromising Honor (David Weber) on Nov 1
Finished - The Hercules Text (Jack McDevitt) on Nov 3
Reading - The Terran Privateer (Glynn Stewart)

Still plodding through The Outsider by Stephen King (75%). It's bogged down now after being quite gripping for about 60% of the book. As good as this book is, I just don't like SK doing crime novels, it's like asking Dean Koontz to write for Mills & Boon

Finished the Tremblay ‘Head full of ghosts’ book,great read and cleverly done with a couple of twists from the narrative and a knowing authoritive hand, must seek out more from him.
Just starting Dracul by Dacre Stöcker and JD Barker, £5.00 from Asda, would have to be really poor to not be today’s bargain?
*he said, hopefully *

Reading GX Todd Defender. I really want to like it, but it's so grim :/

Oldie cold war spy thriller series this month.
All the Herbie Kruger books by John Gardner.
Book one...The Nostradamus Traitor.

Hey, @anno! I was anxiously waiting to see what you thought of A Head Full of Ghosts. I loved it, thought it was an exceptionally well-crafted horror, and was really creeped out by it. Glad you liked it, too. He has 3-4 other books out, I think, and I'll try another soon.

...Found a less dog eared copy of Midnight At the Well of Souls By Jack L. Chalker... Finished it.
Started Quest for the well of Souls...somehow I have managed to completely miss reading this one until yesterday.

Enjoy!

I take it back. Don't waste your time with this book. It's rubbish. After reading (largely skimming) the first 5 chapters, waiting -- anything new or interesting could be summed up in just a few sentences. Avoid. Imo
This site supports writers. So in fairness to author Nicky Jenner, it would not be honest to just dismiss this book.

There is knowledge in here. But the reader can safely skip the first 100 pages and just start right in with it.

The book is 259pp and the first 100pp are pure filling material, to anyone with the slightest real interest beyond the mythology etc, of Mars.

I am being educated by this book. But imo the editor/publisher has done this new popular science writer proper disservice by insisting on including the first 100 pages of filler material.

Cool. I had to try to vindicate this impressive new popular science wtiter from the potential damage caused by editor/publisher commercial objective ..

Last edited:
Reading antiquarian John Aubrey's Miscellanies. Aubrey (1626-1697) is best known for his gossipy Brief Lives. The Miscellanies are on kind of "Believe It or Not!" topics, e.g. fateful days, admonitory dreams, etc. A few of the anecdotes A. compiled are charming but seem trivial, e.g. "'Tis commonly reported, that before an heir of the Cliftons, of Clifton in Nottinghamshire, dies, that a Sturgeon is taken in the river Trent, by that place....Matthew Parker, seventieth Arch-Bishop of Canterbury, in the seventieth year of his age, feated Queen Elizabeth on her birth day, in his palace at Canterbury. ...My Lady Seymour dreamt, that she found a next, with nine finches in it. And as many children she had by the Earl of Winchelsea, whose name is Finch." But many of the entries are more familiar for this type of work, and some are pretty interesting.

Finished Dr Jekyll (which I thought was excellent).

Now reading The Spirit Of Hawkwind 1969 -1976. It's essentially a Nik Turner bio up until the time he left the band. Very well written, very informative and contains some interesting info on my personal Hawkwind hero (Bob Calvert). A pricey tome but worth the read for any Hawkwind fan (hardback around £65 but kindle just under £8)