Writing Recaps

Cliffhangers?? Very risky. I read book one of a rather ripping yarn in the style of Indiana Jones films. I think they were trying to recover five artifacts. The book was getting thinner and thinner and still they were after the first artifact.

As you can probably guess, it ended with them recovering the first stone, having a preview of book two of FIVE (!!!) at the ending and inviting us along for the next part of the to be continued journey.

Despite enjoying the book a lot I never went back to buy book two.

Also the thing was only about 250 pages!!

pH

Ah yes, I remember the old days.

E. C. Tubb "Dumerest" series.

In my opininion one of the best SF "series" written.

There are 33 books in the series which sadly I never managed to get to the end of.

(however, I notice by researching for this post that good old Agazin has downloadable versions. Plus some of the titles I still posses are worth a kings ransom -thogh not in the well read condition they are)

Each story was a story in it's own right, with a continuing and buliding plot toward the end point. There were no cliff hangers (as such), but I don't think I remember reading any of them without desperately wanting to get my hands on the next.

I read them as I found them (cos they were mainly US published and difficult to find at the time).

Toward the end there was some self spoilers in the storyline, but in fairness by book twenty most 'fans' knew where we were going to end up.

Even so, they were brilliant SF IMO.

At the time (70,80s) I seem to recall they were similar in price to things like "Dune" (but memory plays tricks).

Anyway, They were also some of the thinnest books.

The ones I read (I think I got to book 20) were usually about 160 pages.

Ah yes, the good old days.

Action, plot, intrigue, and a damn good yarn.

Bought (by me) like hot cakes.