Outlaw King (2018) - trailer

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
outlaw-king.jpg

Netflix are about to release Outlaw King to cinemas this autumn - an epic film about the rise of Robert the Bruce, the first recorded king of a united Scotland.

Pitched as something of a sequel to Mel Gibson's Braveheart, Outlaw King stars Chris Pine as Robert the Bruce - and includes him doing a full-frontal nude scene, getting out from a bath.

Outlaw King debuted at the Toronto Film festival, to general critical acclaim: #LFF 2018: Outlaw King review

The one big criticism was for the length of the film. This has now been trimmed back by 20 minutes for wider cinema release to help improve pacing: ‘Outlaw King’ Filmmaker David Mackenzie Trims Netflix Epic By 20 Minutes Post Toronto Premiere

You can watch the trailer below and make up your own mind on expectations:

Last edited:
I hope it's good.
I was entertained by Braveheart , it sure took liberties with the actual story.
In recent times , and I guess not so recent, there have been big scale Robin Hood movies, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves , 1991, with the odd nest of Kevin Costner as Robin Hood (that did not work for me at all), to Ridley Scott's 2010 Robin Hood with a good cast, but subject of Scott's overthinks and diddling , in the end did not work.
It is funny about Scott, Exodos: Gods and Kings (2014) was a total mess , like what was he thinking?
Scott also make Kingdom of Heaven (2005) , does anyone care about the Saracen reconquest of Jerusalem?
Strange film, the theatrical version is not so good, the directors cut is good!
Scott is a strange bird!

I don't know, I love historical epics, do current audiences? Such movies need an edge and 'feel' , the do a better job these days than in the 1950s , but I wonder. New Elisabeth I film coming, and I don't know why, does that Mary Queen of Scotts story need another retelling??!!

I hope it's good.
I was entertained by Braveheart , it sure took liberties with the actual story.
In recent times , and I guess not so recent, there have been big scale Robin Hood movies, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves , 1991, with the odd nest of Kevin Costner as Robin Hood (that did not work for me at all), to Ridley Scott's 2010 Robin Hood with a good cast, but subject of Scott's overthinks and diddling , in the end did not work.
It is funny about Scott, Exodos: Gods and Kings (2014) was a total mess , like what was he thinking?
Scott also make Kingdom of Heaven (2005) , does anyone care about the Saracen reconquest of Jerusalem?
Strange film, the theatrical version is not so good, the directors cut is good!
Scott is a strange bird!

I don't know, I love historical epics, do current audiences? Such movies need an edge and 'feel' , the do a better job these days than in the 1950s , but I wonder. New Elisabeth I film coming, and I don't know why, does that Mary Queen of Scotts story need another retelling??!!

I thought Kingdom of Heaven was beautifully shot and the movie was timely in presenting a more nuanced look at the Crusades. Saladin is one of the more empathetic leaders portrayed in the film. Of course the historical accuracy was all over the place. And like you preferred the Directors Cut.

The video below goes over the trailer for accuracy and gives it better than average scores.

Ah, I thought it sounded like Shadiversity. :)

A couple of things that stood out for me that he skipped over (14:45+ in the above video):

- proper draw strength on the bow. A lot of film bows look like they've been plucked like guitar strings, but that archer is clearly putting a lot of strength behind his draw;

- ladder made of rope! Which is really good because a lazy set designer would simply bring out the same type of ladders as a modern painter or decorator might use.

I will make a prediction. It will be dreadful and historically flawed. This is just going on Chris Pines interviews where he doesn't seem to know the first thing about Robert the Bruce.

I thought Kingdom of Heaven was beautifully shot and the movie was timely in presenting a more nuanced look at the Crusades. Saladin is one of the more empathetic leaders portrayed in the film. Of course the historical accuracy was all over the place. And like you preferred the Directors Cut.

I love military history and Kingdom of Heaven gets the Siege of Jerusalem (1187) broad outline and main characters mostly right. The whole story is reworked with an eye to Hollywood 'pulp'.... Oddly it seemed have a good summary of Baldwin IV (played by a never seen Edward Norton) and the fabulous Eva Green as his sister Sibylla... I like the guy who played Saladin. The Knights Hospitaller were turned into mustache twirling villains , Hollwoodization not needed at his late date of film art.

You know I had in my mind that there had been quite a few movies about the Crusades but there are not that many , I think my perception is colored by how many times a Robin Hood movie has used the Crusades as a prolog or a flash back.

I have to pull you up a bit, Brian, as the Houses of Alpin and Dunkeld may have an issue with your description as, "The first King of a united Scotland."

Kenneth I (mac Alpin) ruled a kingdom that embraced the Scottish mainland, north of the Forth/Clyde line, "Alba," and his descendants added Lothian (between the Forth and the Tweed) some time before the reign of Malcolm II (Last King of the House of Alpin d1034), who used the area as a buffer zone during the invasion of King Canute.

During the reign of either Duncan I (r1034-40, grandson of Malcolm II, and founder of the House of Dunkeld) or his cousin and successor, MacBeth (1040-57) Strathclyde was added (between the Clyde and Solway Firth) - either by conquest, or assimilation after its royal family died out (accounts vary), thus, Scotland reached its modern land boundaries centuries before Robert I, who based his claim to the throne (like John Balliol) on his descent from David I - youngest son and eventual successor of Malcolm III Canmore (the, "Hero," of Shakespeare's play).

It was the death of the last king of the House of Dunkeld, Alexander III, ( and his grand-daughter, Margaret, Maid of Norway) that precipitated the crisis in leadership which led to the appointment of Edward I of England as arbitrator in, "The Great Cause."

Bruce saw himself as the legitimate successor to a line of kings reaching back five centuries, and many at the time and since have accepted this. Incidentally, Her Grace Elizabeth (Queen Elizabeth II) is his 19th great-granddaughter.

Shadiversity says that - in terms of general historical accuracy - this was pretty good. However, I've not watched much of his video as I don't want to see spoilers:

Watched it last night. It is better than Braveheart , historically, less bombastic , so a bit of a better film.
Nicely mounted , but it feels unengaging , the characters are ok but needed better framing, Florence Pugh as Elizabeth de Burgh is the most memorable. It is an interesting story but needed a better narrative than we got.

Better historically than Braveheart is one hell of a backhanded compliment.

That said, I've also heard it's better than average in that regard.

Hopefully someone will make a film or two about William Marshal and Edward III. For that matter, the Richard II/Henry IV tussle was fascinating to read about and would make a great film.

Edward III, yes a film about The Confessor is long overdue, the 11th century was a very turbulent time for England ;)

I will make a prediction. It will be dreadful and historically flawed. This is just going on Chris Pines interviews where he doesn't seem to know the first thing about Robert the Bruce.

To be fair, Chris Pine doesn't need to know the first thing about Robert the Bruce. Whoever wrote his lines does.

Which Edward was between the Confessor and the Elder?

I've a feeling you're right and there was one but I can't remember his identity. And yes, the numerical approach is interesting for Edwards. Also Henrys, given Young King Henry, son of Henry II.

There was no Edward between the Confessor and Edward Longshanks.

Svalbard, Edward the Elder was the son of Alfred the Great. Probably should've put him and the Confessor in chronological order.