New Kindle!

Overread

Searching for a flower
So in November Amazon is releasing a new version of the Paperwhite Kindle. It's got:

1) Double the memory from the previous version, which takes it to 8GB as standard with an optional 32GB version!

2) Waterproofing/sealing. Rated for up to 1 hour in 2m of water - so it should survive a dunking in the bathtub - might even survive a shower!

3) Audible is back with bluetooth enabled speakers/headphones

4) It's about the same size and a little lighter ( 182 grams new - 205 grams original paperwhite)

5) Still got the backlighting system (5LEDs is stated)

It's currently only around £10 more than the original version of the Paperwhite (remember Amazon defaults to showing the price with special offers not without, though the price difference between both with and without is about the same). The 32gb makes for quite a big jump in price of around £30 more, however its likely not needed if you are only reading ebooks (the increase to 8GB alone is a significant boost); if you're doing audible as well then the 32GB would make the most sense.

A nice christmas gift or upgrade for some; for others maybe a chance to get a previous version second hand from those upgrading or cheaper Amazon for a modest saving.

My Kindle 3 with Keyboard's screen started deteriorating, it literally somehow made a small hole in the screen and then the e-ink welled up in said hole, making it annoying to read. It also started doing strange things like making random lines and flickering. So I bought the 7th gen Kindle with with LED lights for reading in the dark and dim ambient lighting. Touch screen as well and this has no adverts. The online retailer sent me the no-ads version but I paid for the ads version because that was all I could afford. So no complaints so far, loving it.

I've finally decided to cave and get one of these, given the difficulty of reading a book while feeding an infant. I'm inclined to the regular kindle, it's cheaper, more compact like mass market paperbacks, and seems like a simpler, more book-like experience.

That said the paperwrite has the backlighting, which could be really nice for my wife and let me read in bed. Also, the new audible connectivity looks pretty useful for her (though I've not yet embraced the audiobook).

Anyone have any thoughts on these? Regular kindle v paperwrite? Brand new upgraded paperwrite versus the previous version that will be onsale at Best Buy this Black Friday? Not sure the backlight is worth an extra $50, but I'm also not sure I want to buy a model that's being phased out.

I have many Kindles (embarrassing but true). For simply reading the Paperwhite can't be beaten. It's small light and can be read in the dark. I suspect that the light feature is no different in the new Paperwhite or the old one. The first Kindle I owned had buttons to turn pages, and I much prefer that to the swipe on the touch screen, but being twenty years old, it ain't coming back. I have had no trouble with the amount of memory. I don't find the ads disruptive at all and I've found a book or two I was glad to read from those ads. If my old Paperwhite had had blue tooth capability I might not have gotten a Fire. (I got a 10 in. Fire and use it a lot!) And I think the water proof feature is very nice. It's one of those things you might never need, but if you do you'll be so glad you have it. --- I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have.... either here or in a p.m.

I had a perfectly functioning Kindle 3 - the one that made it a big name with the keyboard and page turning buttons. Great thing and I loved using it and had no real issues with it.

But I bought paperwhite (the previous version) and love it even more. The backlight makes a huge difference to reading I find. Especially in the evenings when you're reliant on indoor lighting, no more having to move around to find a spot with enough light that isn't too uncomfortable; no more casual eye strain in indoor lighting that is ok but not as bright as one might think. Plus in bed its great as it means no fudging with a lamp that's too small or leaving the main light on nad then having to get out to shut it off.

Basically the backlight makes a big difference in general reading and a great difference in any challenging light conditions.

I too prefer buttons to swiping for page turning, but have gotten used to swiping without much issue. In general the touch technology works very well with them now.

Love my Paperwhite as well. The battery lasts ages if you turn on Airplane mode, the backlight is brilliant - I was still reading in the garden at 11.30 pm in July - it slips into a jacket pocket, and carries enough books even for me. Brilliant for series (no more waiting to get the next one if you finish a book at 3 am) and switches itself off if you fall asleep reading in bed.

I'm glad they've made it waterproof, though - that ad with the woman using one on a lilo in the middle of a swimming pool always worried me, and I daren't take mine to read in the bath...

I have a basic Kindle. Will not buy another. Only holds one book at a time, so you need to be near WiFi to upload any book in your library. It's small so if your a fast reader like me you are flipping pages all the time which then gets annoying because the swipe /touch page flip does not always work. The Kindle store download function is .... well ... honestly? I prefer the Kindle app on my ipad mini. The day I can afford to purchase a new ipad mini 4 to replace my smashed mini 2, my kindle will be dumped in a drawer to gather dust.

Warriormouse what kind of kindle do you have that can only hold 1 book? Ebooks are tiny in size so something sounds really wrong (unless you've a first generation experimental?).

Also don't forget that a proper e-ink Kindle (ergo an e-reader kindle and NOT a tablet) is very different to read than a tablet screen like an ipad. Tablet screens are flatscreens and are more glossy, bright and glaring. A proper e-reader (kindle or any other brand) is almost identical to reading off paper (save that when you've got a back light its like reading off paper with the perfect illumination)

WM said:
Only holds one book at a time...
The first generation Kindle, the smallest capacity ever produced, had 2Gb usable memory - that's over 1000 average books, according to Amazon. I'd suggest that there's something seriously wrong with yours, and basing a decision on whether or not to get a new one on your present experience is a flawed argument...

Feels like the vote is overwhelmingly in favor of the Paperwrite... the backlight IS a big draw and while I don't currently listen to audiobooks, I also swore I'd not use an e-reader and my wife DOES use audible, so that feature might get some use. Honestly, the main appeal of the original kindle for me is the smaller size, but it's only a fraction of an inch smaller and a half ounce lighter... hardly dealbreaker!

I bought a paperwhite, but the old version that was onsale at black friday. Decided I didn't need/want all the bluetooth/cell/audible connectivity since i hate that stuff on my phone enough as it is. It was the same price as the basic kindle, and I traded off a little size (it's slightly bigger and heavier than the regular kindle or the new paperwhite) for having the backlighting, which I think is going to be very handy for reading in bed or midnight baby feedings.