Scifi mystery set on collapsed colony planet, search for something hidden

jgsf

Science fiction fantasy
Set on a planet colonised many years previously, the protagonist is the leader of a small laboratory intent on redisovering the scientific method and investigating the few remaining technological artifacts of the early times. The artifacts, some dead, some with mysterious abilities are often unpredictable and prone to explode.

In the early years the colony was beset by civil war, the people with unresolvable conflict decended into chaos. Civilisation remained though and regrew on feudal lines with power structures of regent, lords and the church.

The main questions are surrounding the mystery of what happened at the time of the collapse. Theres a sense of loss, nostalgia and a race to solve a puzzle before others do. The protagonist gets wind of a secret held by one of the first leaders and starts investigation. Literary clues lead him to a library where he finds an old scroll with a poem referencing [possibly a winged chariot or other vehicle].

[THE ENDING]
It emerges that this is a clue to finding the landing shuttle for the colony, which was taken for safe keeping in the early years and hidden away. It becomes clear others know of the search and the race is on to find it first. The conclusion is that the protagonist takes a trip into space, finds a space station and receives an incoming signal. The signal is from a ship soon to arrive from Earth.
[ENDENDING]

I read this in the early 90s from the main library in Stevenage, UK. It may have been quite a bit older as the computers depicted were very basic with only flashing lights. The protagonist may have had a Japanese sounding name, characterisation wasnt that strong. It was hard scifi. The title is the frustrating thing, i could have sworn it had the word chariot in, as a reference to the poem but i've searched and nothing has turned up. This was one of a series apparently so would be nice to find the follow up.

Many thanks for any help resolving this mystery of a mystery.

Jim

Could it be a story on the planet Pern, home of Dragonriders. Anne McCaffrey wrote a series of novels set on this planet. Later stories worked with the citizens who re-discovered part of their past.

The colony was not beset by civil war, but volcanic activity and the attack of 'threads,' spun off a 'red star' (planet) in the same solar system. Because of the volcanic activity and the threads, the colony was forced to migrate to other parts of the planet. Much of their technological knowledge was lost, and, once the fuel ran out, many machines were left to rust away.

Civilization reverted to a more feudal model, but religion was not a major player. Lords, guilds, regents, etc. were in place. The Dragonriders and their keeps were another class in the mix. As the stories proceded, the Harper's Guild gained more prominence and power.

Now-- missing are the protagonist's trip into space, but a ship from Earth did re-discover/contact the planet, and there was an oriental character involved in this contact. But the oriental character did manage to leave the planet at the end of one story.

a ship from Earth did re-discover/contact the planet, and there was an oriental character involved in this contact. But the oriental character did manage to leave the planet at the end of one story
Which book was that one? I haven't read all the Pern books cos my interest faded with the saga, however that one sounds promising

Could it be a story on the planet Pern, home of Dragonriders. Anne McCaffrey wrote a series of novels set on this planet. Later stories worked with the citizens who re-discovered part of their past.
Thanks for your reply. I can see the similarities but this probably isnt the series. The dragons feature quite heavily and this was a more straight laced kind of story. Colony failure due to humans being, well, human. I'm pretty sure it was a male author, probably American.

On Sunday I followed the lost colony thread a little. Apparently in the 70s and 80s there was a flurry of this type of story. I thought maybe Orson Scott Card, but the date of pubication excludes a great many, and I felt in the company of an atheist!

On Sunday I followed the lost colony thread a little. Apparently in the 70s and 80s there was a flurry of this type of story. I thought maybe Orson Scott Card, but the date of pubication excludes a great many, and I felt in the company of an atheist!

If you mean Orson Scott Card feels like an atheist you are quite mistaken. He is very clearly a Mormon. His series "Songs From Distant Earth" is a SF adaption of the book of Mormon and he is considered malodorous in some circles because of his stand opposing Gay Rights based on his Mormon convictions.

The author of the subject book felt like an atheist, zero reference to any god or spirituality, and so I exclude Card on that basis.

The main character is invested personally in rediscovering the scientific approach. He talks of the discipline of mind needed to achieve it. Also though, he visited a prostitute, which I guess may also exclude Card, even though the character considered it a personal weakness.

Which book was that one? I haven't read all the Pern books cos my interest faded with the saga, however that one sounds promising

It's a short story called "Rescue Run", which can be found in the "Chronicles of Pern: First Fall" collection.