Doctor Who (37) 11.01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth

Totally. And has to be ready sliced soft white bread. Just two. Y'know the foamy bog standard stuff you get for about a pound in supermarkets.

Although I would allow HP sauce or some other condiment to be liberally applied atop the fried egg.

Which would make it what we used to call an Egg Banjo...

Thoroughly enjoyed it and if anything reminded more of Eccleston's Doctor - just due to the Northerner bit.

It was an intro episode so wasn't expecting much of a plot line.

I did like the bad guy just for the teeth embedded in the flesh.

Also, liked the fact that the companions didn't just happily jump on the chance to join the Doctor.

And kudos to the writer for the touch of comic genius for the microwave bing after they'd all disappeared.

I quite liked the start. We'll see where the season goes from here. I really like how inconsequential the gender change was. Perfectly handled so far.

I too enjoyed this, although she reminded me more of McCoy or Tom Baker, because of her energy and scattiness.
And you're right Anushka. The gender change didn't seem to matter at all.

A little upset by the lack of scientific accuracy though. There's no way you use two blow torches and a sledge hammer to make a sonic.

Also, liked the fact that the companions didn't just happily jump on the chance to join the Doctor.

Well, to be fair, they haven't actually seen the TARDIS yet.

A little upset by the lack of scientific accuracy though. There's no way you use two blow torches and a sledge hammer to make a sonic.

This sounds like the voice of experience.

Upon rewatch, I am so incredibly reminded of early RTD episodes with the Ninth Doctor though the Doctor herself reminds me more of the Tenth Doctor. The episode plot also reminded me of the first episode with the Tenth where we also had outer space, one-off villains who used weird DNA science. (Blood hypnosis vs DNA bomb, the Doctor being out of whack)

That was the first Dr Who episode I've ever deliberately watched all of.

It was decent. One moment I was loving watching Whitaker, the next I was irritated by just how bloody chipper and non-stop she was. No idea if that's how the Doctor is meant to be. Bradley Walsh's character was annoying (what sort of divot expects the adult grandchild of his wife of three years to call him granddad? c'mon now). Jas was my favourite companion.

Fun adventure story. Wished there had been more story and less introduction of everything but c'est la vie.

First thing's first, and I'm aware I might get shouted at, but it is a children's programme, so the main criteria for me was whether or not my now 5-and-a-half year old got on with it. And by that account it was brilliant.

I don't think you can really call a show that's on at 6.55pm and doesn't have a single sub-teenage character a children's show. You might be able to persuade me that it's a family show, but it is to children's TV what Nando's is to vegetarianism.

Really, Doctor Who is a show for people who loved it as a children.

I loved it! I stopped watching Who for a while because I didn't like Capaldi at all. Plus Moffat's misogyny and sexism in both his creative work and his personal behaviour got too much for me (yup, stopped watching SHERLOCK after that horrendous Christmas special taking potshots at women and feminists with the purple Ku Klux Klan robes).

But I'll watch Jodie's Doctor and crew. It's a good start.

I liked it. Slight alteration to the formula with three companions instead of one and they're not all begging to go away with the Doctor at the end.

I'm not really sure about the Doctor's new wardrobe, overall it somehow reminds me of Colin Baker's stupid jacket. Plus there were some aspects of her performance which annoyed me a little, like the final confrontation with Tim: she'd just remembered who she was, The Doctor, The Oncoming Storm; so her line delivery felt a touch too whimsical. Perhaps she could have dialled up the intensity just a notch or too.

Actually that scene reminded me of Matt Smith facing down The Eye In The Sky in his debut: "Tell me, is this world protected?" Such a subtle shift in tone.

But, that said, there was far more in her performance that I liked. Plus, I saw the first series of Broadchurch, and I saw Jodie Whittacre's episode of Black Mirror so I know that she's a good actor and I have all faith that the TARDIS is in good safe hands.

Oh, and the writing was pretty good too. Good episode.

Um... yeah it did. Never watched Doctor Who, never had any interest in watching Doctor Who... until it was announced the Doctor'd be a woman. So I watched it.

We balanced each other out in that regard. I haven't watched it for the very same reason. I think it's a shame that a positive male role model, who uses intelligence and wit and non violent means to win over enemies, someone tolerant and caring has been turned female. A new male doctor might have had me tuning in to see if the writing got any better but I'm afraid a female Dr. just doesn't do it for me and I probably won't bother.

To be fair I stopped watching during Capaldi because the writing became ridiculous - the moon/egg episode actually made my head hurt because the science was so bad - yes I get its a childrens show and the science does not need to be hard, but I find some suspense difficult to maintain in the face of some things.

By many accounts Jodie Whittaker is a great actress and the viewing figures for the opening episode are excellent.

I loved it! I stopped watching Who for a while because I didn't like Capaldi at all. Plus Moffat's misogyny and sexism in both his creative work and his personal behaviour got too much for me (yup, stopped watching SHERLOCK after that horrendous Christmas special taking potshots at women and feminists with the purple Ku Klux Klan robes).

Thought that was a fantastic episode! :)

I rewatched it last night. I still liked it. It was better the Capaldi's first episode. I really enjoyed the hands on builder parts. The whole thing was darker than the last few years. Which is good.

If I had a complaint it would be the new costume. It's a little to whimsical for my taste. The further away from the Colin Baker look the better, I always say.

Wasn't taken with the Doctor herself, incidentally. And three companions is too many.

I liked it. Slight alteration to the formula with three companions instead of one and they're not all begging to go away with the Doctor at the end.

I'm not really sure about the Doctor's new wardrobe, overall it somehow reminds me of Colin Baker's stupid jacket. Plus there were some aspects of her performance which annoyed me a little, like the final confrontation with Tim: she'd just remembered who she was, The Doctor, The Oncoming Storm; so her line delivery felt a touch too whimsical. Perhaps she could have dialled up the intensity just a notch or too.

Actually that scene reminded me of Matt Smith facing down The Eye In The Sky in his debut: "Tell me, is this world protected?" Such a subtle shift in tone.

But, that said, there was far more in her performance that I liked. Plus, I saw the first series of Broadchurch, and I saw Jodie Whittacre's episode of Black Mirror so I know that she's a good actor and I have all faith that the TARDIS is in good safe hands.

Oh, and the writing was pretty good too. Good episode.

Yes on the costume - Yeuk - She'll be hosting Come Dancing next.
Yes on the Matt Smith - Thought I'd heard something like it before.
No on the acting - Not that she can't, but a good actor does not always a good Doctor make.

Wasn't taken with the Doctor herself, incidentally. And three companions is too many.

Twas ever so in the early days. The problem is Graham. He's too Who like IMO. I wouldn't mind betting this is a consolation role.

"Look , we had you in mind for the main man, but the pressure for a woman is too hard to ignore. Do you fancy a companion role?"

I agree that three companions is too many. One is the best number, but two for short durations is okay.

See above.

Plus lest we forget, three allows them to ring the changes on the screams and life threatening situations.

If it's always the high pitched "Bonnie Langford" it can get a bit teadious.

Now we can have some "manly" gutteral outbursts of pain and despair.

Or even better a chorus line.

One things for sure though, the days of "Eye Candie" are over, for both variants. No longer will all you females be able to lust over the likes of Matt Smith and David Tenant.

Um... yeah it did. Never watched Doctor Who, never had any interest in watching Doctor Who... until it was announced the Doctor'd be a woman. So I watched it.

And as the viewing figures are in, I think I'll sit in the corner and not offer any more predictions.

I think this is the grumpiest thread I've ever read on here ;)

I watched it yesterday, which is unusual for me because I don't really watch TV much at the moment.

I liked it.

The one thing I'm puzzled by is the "three companions is too many" complaint, mostly as it's not as if there haven't been three at one time before, right back to the First Doctor, so it's not something new that they've done "just because it's a woman".

. . . and picking Dr Who apart for its lack of scientific accuracy is like waving a broadsword at a house of cards ;)

I think this is the grumpiest thread I've ever read on here ;)

I watched it yesterday, which is unusual for me because I don't really watch TV much at the moment.

I liked it.

The one thing I'm puzzled by is the "three companions is too many" complaint, mostly as it's not as if there haven't been three at one time before, right back to the First Doctor, so it's not something new that they've done "just because it's a woman".

. . . and picking Dr Who apart for its lack of scientific accuracy is like waving a broadsword at a house of cards ;)

Paul:-

You obviously joined while I was away.

In the short time we all have left, you'll come to realise what the truth.

As for the nit pickin, :)