Jon Favreau's The Mandalorian

The past year has brought some stranger-than-fiction things into our lives, which has led many to turn to genre fiction in an unprecedented way. Luckily, there have been quite a lot of major science fiction and fantasy series for fans to get lost in in the past year -- something that was recently honored during the inaugural Critics Choice Super Awards. Star Wars: The Mandalorian took home the honor of Best Science Fiction/Fantasy Series, in a category that also included Outlander, Raised by Wolves, Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, Upload, and What We Do in the Shadows.

Gina Carano's turbulent tenure as a member of the Star Wars acting universe has come to an abrupt end.

Lucasfilm issued a statement to the press on Wednesday, which Ars first found on io9, confirming that Carano was out of not just The Mandalorian, on which she co-starred for two seasons, but all Star Wars properties. It read:

Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future. Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.

The phrasing implies that Carano's relationship with Disney and Lucasfilm may have ended before her most recent high-profile post on social media: an Instagram "story" quoting an anti-mask podcast's post that compared Nazi "rounding up" of Jews during the Holocaust to "hating someone for their political views." The same post, from this Tuesday evening, implied that Jews were somehow more subject to violence by "neighbors" than by Nazis—without citing a nation, era, or other clarification about the point being made.

The Hollywood Reporter quoted "a source with knowledge of Lucasfilm’s thinking," who said that Lucasfilm and Disney execs had been "looking for a reason to fire [Carano] for two months, and today was the final straw." In recent months, the former MMA athlete and Fast & Furious actor had doubled-down on anti-mask messaging and casting doubt on the presidential election. As it turns out, according to THR's "sources," these November posts moved Disney to pivot from its previous plans of announcing Carano as the star of her own Disney+ TV series. (This Carano-series news had previously not been reported until today.)

o7

According to Deadline, there were no plans to use Cara Dune in season 3 of The Mandalorian, but there were plans to use the character elsewhere, as it was recently revealed she was set to get her own spinoff, which was supposed to be announced at last December's Disney Investor Day presentation. Those plans were scrapped after her previous social media controversies.

While never confirmed, it was expected that she would also play some sort of role in The Rangers of the New Republic spinoff that was announced, but if that was the case, those plans were scrapped too.

wjkwojhvz2z2kxuqus3l.jpg

I might buy 10's of thousands sold, but not hundreds and certainly not millions of copies.

I will now be very interested in the answer to that question.

In the global scale it's going to be a big number. Tens of thousands in the states alone.

For millions to be sold you'd have to think that the audience for the Mandalorian was at least 100 million worldwide, and I find that beggars my imagination.

For millions to be sold you'd have to think that the audience for the Mandalorian was at least 100 million worldwide, and I find that beggars my imagination.

In the Walt Disney Company's latest shareholder call, we expected to hear good news about its popular Disney+ service—especially as a highlight for a company otherwise besieged by the realities of a pandemic. Sure enough, the news was incredibly good for the company's upstart streaming service, with CEO Bob Chapek confirming a tidy threshold: over 100 million subscribers.

I know Dave is going to hate this, but since I was cut off yesterday from net due the workmen replacing the windows with double glazed ones cut the cable I watched the last season of Clone Wars. It is in fact amazing and a promise full filled, by Disney showing the real ending for the event, and why it was cut off. The reason is that it is a dark ending.

A very dark in fact and quite controversial, but it'll explains many things, including hinting the reason for why Mandalore was purged. Thing is, just before Darth Sidious turned to Emperor Mandalore rebelled. So, the Purge, which I believe will be framed in the upcoming season, was a direct result of Maul going mad because the Emperor kept all the cards close to his chest.

In the bigger arc, the whole thing is a balance shift in the Force, with the Dark Side becoming dominant, while the Lighter side diminished, didn't disappear. But you never get it in those terms, not in a dialogue in any of the Star Wars series or in the movies. It has always been something for the audience to figure out. Not even Thrawn talk about it, even if it is likely that he thought about it.

So, if you want to know the reasons for the Purge I recommend you to check out the animated series.

I know Dave is going to hate this, but since I was cut off yesterday from net due the workmen replacing the windows with double glazed ones cut the cable I watched the last season of Clone Wars. It is in fact amazing and a promise full filled, by Disney showing the real ending for the event, and why it was cut off. The reason is that it is a dark ending.

A very dark in fact and quite controversial, but it'll explains many things, including hinting the reason for why Mandalore was purged. Thing is, just before Darth Sidious turned to Emperor Mandalore rebelled. So, the Purge, which I believe will be framed in the upcoming season, was a direct result of Maul going mad because the Emperor kept all the cards close to his chest.

In the bigger arc, the whole thing is a balance shift in the Force, with the Dark Side becoming dominant, while the Lighter side diminished, didn't disappear. But you never get it in those terms, not in a dialogue in any of the Star Wars series or in the movies. It has always been something for the audience to figure out. Not even Thrawn talk about it, even if it is likely that he thought about it.

So, if you want to know the reasons for the Purge I recommend you to check out the animated series.

Wasn't the Purge after Rebels? Well technically before the epilogue of Rebels but after the main storyline.

Wasn't the Purge after Rebels? Well technically before the epilogue of Rebels but after the main storyline.

We don't know for sure, because it has already kind of happened during the Rebels as the Mandalorians are already on run, with the Dark Sabre gone missing. And all that stuff that happened at the aftermath of the Order 66 being executed.

When they bring out the Dark Sabre in the Rebels they are already hurting pretty bad. There are Mandalorians at Mandalore, but it's not like how it was back in the olden days during the Old Republic.

Back