October 2018 seventy-five word discussion thread

All very well written again, only I found these all (mostly) a little dark and dystopian. I mean I like dark and dystopian usually, but is that the only Legacy one can expect? I think I need to think about them more, but time is short. Should I go for the lighter, humorous ones? This is a difficult choice to make. The Dusty Zebra is more uplifting. Harebrain is hands down, the most punny. HoopyFrood almost got a laugh. Phyrebrat was interesting. Still cannot decide on one.

Last edited:
I get the feeling that the fates really did intervene on my behalf for coming back a day late after reading your statement there, Dave...

Finally got a short list done (dannymcg, Glen, jackwinabox57, scarpelius and TheDustyZebra) and voted (Glen)

Many thanks for the mention, StilLearning and more for the vote, Elvet.

Good number of entries this time - can we maintain the votes? It looks to me as if we're still waiting for Ashleyne, Azzagorn, Cat's Cradle, D.A. Xiaolin Spires, Glen, HareBrain, Ihe, Luiglin, mosaix, Mr Orange, paranoid marvin, Parson, Shyrka, Starbeast. The Judge and Ursa major .

I had a feeling that this month was going to be special and it is.
I was first to vote and happy to put Little Star in the lead with 100% of the votes, for a while anyway.
Also the first time I was able to read all of the entries 3.7 times, make my choice and vote on time.

Thanks to all the reviewers, this wouldn't be the same without all your hard work.

Thanks to Justin Swanton for the listing.
And now a great big THANK YOU to HUGH and JACKWINABOX for the votes, made my day and my month.

Bob

I can't stay long.

A huge THANK YOU to those who voted for me and mentioned my story.

EXCELLENT TALES FROM EVERYONE!!!

Oh well, at least I made it onto a short list. Better than not even being mentioned I s'pose. :)
There's some really high quality stories to contend with this month, way to go people!

Bit of a drive-by, I'm afraid, so no proper long/short-lists, though there were plenty of entries I liked. In the end it came down to @Luiglin and @mosaix, and I almost thought I'd toss a coin. But as I thought more about it I appreciated Mosaix's more and more -- it's just so clever, and managed to tell the bigger story so very economically (i.e. in zero words) that it got my vote.

I thought this month's challenge was jam-packed with entertaining stories...made culling a bit difficult. So, my lists:

Honorables:
Luiglin, jackwinabox57, Vince W, HareBrain, Phyrebrat, TJ, paranoid marvin

Longish Shortlist:
Victoria Silverwolf, D.A. Xiaolin Spires, Bob Senior, Hugh, StilLearning, Plucky Novice, HoopyFrood, TDZ

Vote:
mosaix. So clever and effective. One of those stories I wish I'd written.

A quick 'thank you' to our wonderful reviewers...I could do perhaps 5 reviews in a month, before my abilities imploded. Nice choices, for genre and theme, mosaix. And a huge thanks to Kerrybuchanan, scarpelius, StilLearning, jackwinabox57, and paranoid marvin for mentioning my story. I swear, though, to never use the word 'toot' in a story again. ;) Good luck in the voting, all, CC

Thanks to Cat' s Cradle for the short listing, mentions, listings and reviews make this a better experience.
Thanks again to all.

Ihe -- The Natural Order of Things
Victoria -- Testament
johnnyjet -- In Their Father's House
*mosaix -- Where There's a Will...*
Graymalkin -- Wills
chrispy -- Out of the Autoclave...
crystal haven -- The Gravity of the Situation
MRG -- The Ageless Legacy
Perp -- Tomorrow
Peter V -- Coming of Age
Hugh -- Have You Ever Tried Herding Cats?
Hoopy -- Ancestry.com
HB -- The Halloween Toilet
Phyrebrat -- The Wall Artists of Pripyat
TJ -- Sorry, Mama...

I had a hard job voting this month, as there was a kind of plateau of good stories all very much in the running, and no one rising into a little mountain peak above the others. Anyway, here is my shortlist, afer culling a number of stories which only just failed to sneak up from the longlist:
Graymalkin -- Wills
Hugh -- Have you ever tried herding cats?
Ihe -- The Natural Order of Things
johnnyjet -- In Their Father's House
mosaix -- Where There's A Will...
Parson -- Legacy: A Long Obedience
StilLearning -- Trust in Space
TheDustyZebra -- If You Will
Victoria Silverwolf -- Testament
In the end it came down to a duel between two stories of children receiving much-needed if not immediately appreciated legacies, and TDZ just pipped johnnyjet to the vote, though he very nearly scraped the win just by virtue of his Bible-echoing title which I thought was a great fit for the story.

Many appetising vulturine thanks for the mentions/shortlistings Victoria, Peter, DEO, StilLearning, johnnyjet, crystal, p'marvin, Luiglin, CC and TDZ!

Back