October 2018 seventy-five word discussion thread

chrispenycate

resident pedantissimo
Staff member
Supporter
As requested (from China) I pass on mosaix's instructions for the seventy-five worder. Theme:- Legacy, genre Science fiction or Fantasy.

Cool beans! I think I have my story idea all set...it won't be sophisticated at all, but you've gotta go goofy once in a while. Nice theme, mosaix-from-China, CC

Wooot am I really the first one? Oh my. I wonder how that affects chances at mentions/votes. :ROFLMAO:

Some great entries already ; October is going to be a bumper month in volume and quantity. Cat's Cradle - very funny! (y)

Good stuff Mosaix (and congrats on the win last month).

trying to get back into things after a longish holiday and have surpriused myself by already jotting down a story. only 30 words to cull too...

Thanks for starting the threads, Chris.

I got the theme for October from the title of a book I’m reading in holiday - Legacy of Spies by le Carre. It’s the prequel to The Spy Who Came In From The Cold. Le Carre back to his best. Recommended.

Hope you all enjoy.

Well, I posted something more in my comfort zone. So we'll see how that goes. Something a little more light-hearted I think. I hope so anyway.

I'm still working on my flash fiction story. I saw something on TV that gave me an idea. I just have to see how it goes when I make the change.

Ok, with @Shyrka otherwise occupied, this seems like a good month for me to give reviews a spin.

Of course, I reserve the right to be utterly wrong in my interpretations, although any error is strictly inadvertent and based on my limited literary abilities demonstrated most months I enter the contest (pixie slap preemptively blocked).

@Ihe The Natural Order of Things: Receiving your legacy requires joining a legacy of anticipated betrayal and patricide.

@LittleStar A Life, Less 21 Grams: When your earthly legacy is effectively non-existent, what can be expected of your heavenly legacy?

@Kerrybuchanan Prison Planet Legacy: For grammatical crimes, even superheros are not exempt from a punitive grammarian making a linguistic legacy.

@Cat's Cradle Delightful: When your legacy to the world leaves a legacy in your room...

@dannymcg That's my...boy?: Sometimes, your political legacy effects your biological legacy.

@nixie Homecoming: Every now and again, you're glad to find your legacy had been erased.

@Calliopenjo Untitled: What do you do when you receive a legacy with a backstory, filled with bitterness and pain?

Last edited:
Very cool of you to step in, JJ! And spot on, with the review, merci! :)

ps - I think you've entered a lot of very good stories!

Ihe bequeaths a stark tale of a time and place where survival of the fittest is the only moral code.

LittleStar bequeaths a moving fable of the way we must all face the consequences of how we have lived.

Kerrybuchanan bequeaths a surreal allegory demonstrating how early influences change the way the young grow into adults.

Cat's Cradle bequeaths a Rabelaisian jape which makes merry with so-called technological progress.

dannymcg bequeaths a nightmarish vision of the future, when the sins of the father are truly visited upon the children.

nixie bequeaths an emotional account of transgression, forgiveness, and unconditional love of parent for offspring.

Calliopenjo bequeaths a mysterious and haunting story of a gift that may or may not be welcome.

Cathbad bequeaths a heartbreaking portrait of a person who always did what seemed right, but was not always for the best.

Back