4.16: Fear The Walking Dead - ... I lose myself

ctg

weaver of the unseen
EWg4WRv.jpg

Morgan and the member of the Dead (Image by Ryan Green/AMC)

Morgan struggles to find the strength to help friends in dire need before it's too late.

Morgan may have been late to the party, after spending so much quality time with his girlfriend, but he brought the beer and saved the day. It's comforting to know that I have a whole refrigerator full of antidote -- in the unlikely event that I should ever accidentally ingest antifreeze.
Martha came to a well-deserved end. I was relieved that she had such a limited story lifespan.
When Morgan found only an arm still handcuffed to the squad car, I thought a roving band of walkers had taken care of the rest. With her sunny personality, I'm guessing she ripped her own arm off before, rather than after, she turned.
The conclusion here was so shiny and optimistic that I wondered if it was the end of the series. How many episodes into season five it will take before the new Helping Hand Headquarters will be buried in walkers, blown to bits or go down in flames?
Wherever this group goes, destruction follows.

Reactions: ctg
The best season finale in TWD's history. It went around the whole circle as Morgan became a footman and had to journey hundreds of miles with a hole in his leg. I don't honestly know how he was able to do that as a) it must have hurt like hell and b) the blood loss made him weak.

To be honest, from the very beginning to almost to the end, the Fear was pure horror. It had all the classical elements, including being trapped inside a house and there's rescue outside. I'm glad that they didn't follow those tropes to the letter but altered them so much that there is continuation to the series. It ended with only the villain as dead, which in TWD's history is an unlikely case. I think it gives more hope the series as it does to the character as they don't have to go through another catastrophe, because they're already living in one.

I think there is a lot to say on how you leave things as there is one how they start. The journey in the middle is either: How they died or How they survived, especially in the Kirkman's world. In Fear's case, and I hope it also translates to the mother series, was to survive and make things better, because they're now living in a world that has transformed to something else.

Somebody could claim that their world has gone through a disease cycle and as a result it is now recovering from the plague that we know as a humans. It is strange that there was no known previous cycles, when the Dead became active and got rid of the excess that had been stripping the planet. You could say that the zombie plague was a result of the planet making a correction through Mother Nature and that's why every human has the virus inside them.

As it has not been confirmed by Kirkman it's only a theory. There is no science to back it up, only speculation. Maybe an educated guess. Nothing more. But that's why I love these series, as they make my brain work.

I have to say that Martha AKA The Filthy Woman is one of the best villains in the TWD's history. I personally like her more than I like the Governor, with Negan being the absolute finale. I would place the Terminus people above Negan and his Saviours, but that also be because I personally hate Negan as a character. Martha has been the most cunning and smartest one. She, on her own, could have been able to wipe the whole cast, if Morgan hadn't found that beer truck.

You could claim that the beer truck was deus-ex and you would be right, as without it, Morgan would have lost his mind and most probably himself to the dead wastes. But that beer truck now works as a bridge and a plot device, because Jimmy's beer has to be brewed inside that Denim Factory.

It's right that they honour Madeline's memory and seek people to come live inside the Factory, instead of being out there on their own. I strongly believe that they should also honour Martha as if she had not written those words on Morgan's forehead, I don't believe Morgan would have found the strenght to do the journey. Being wounded, in pain, and on verge a mental breakdown takes a toll on you.

The American's didn't lose recent wars because of the loss in numbers, but because of the mental factors, namely PTSD. What Morgan did is one of the legandary survival tales you every once and while get to read in the news media. He did it, because he had to and because he was reminded everytime about what he was when he looked in the mirror or saw his reflection.

I hated when Martha tattooed the recipe on Jimmy's face, but I acknowledge that what he did to the longest surviving cast member was something that was needed to be done. Maybe that is the reason why Morgan went back and buried her in a nice spot.

But the decision he made with Polar Bear's original location is the right one as he now as Alexandria's Ambassador is building the life and the network to help the others. Maybe later on they might save TWD from the doom.

What did you think about it?

Morgan may have been late to the party, after spending so much quality time with his girlfriend, but he brought the beer and saved the day. It's comforting to know that I have a whole refrigerator full of antidote -- in the unlikely event that I should ever accidentally ingest antifreeze.

LOL. That is so nicely put, I almost burst coffee on my keyboard. I loved that the beer wasn't just a mcguffin, but an actual plot device and a bridge.

I thought a roving band of walkers had taken care of the rest. With her sunny personality, I'm guessing she ripped her own arm off before, rather than after, she turned.

I did the same thing, although I also thought that she might have cut it as that bone break was so clean. I just don't understand why she didn't die from a sepsis or a blood loss before? She must have lost gallons of blood along the way.

How many episodes into season five it will take before the new Helping Hand Headquarters will be buried in walkers, blown to bits or go down in flames?

2, maybe three. Even if they get people, they are going to attract attention. So I hope they are going to show some fortifications and zombie traps in the next season. Although I secretly hope that place is going to survive. It's just because it's next to stream, it might get flooded.

I loved this episode it was great! One thing, and it says something about our world and that is antifreeze in clear battled water is not a good poison. There is no way to put antifreeze in water and in it not be apparent even a few drops, It is made that way.

Somebody could claim that their world has gone through a disease cycle and as a result it is now recovering from the plague that we know as a humans. It is strange that there was no known previous cycles, when the Dead became active and got rid of the excess that had been stripping the planet. You could say that the zombie plague was a result of the planet making a correction through Mother Nature and that's why every human has the virus inside them.
As it has not been confirmed by Kirkman it's only a theory. There is no science to back it up, only speculation. Maybe an educated guess. Nothing more. But that's why I love these series, as they make my brain work.

This is a dark, yet credible theory.
It does become increasingly difficult to see Humanity as anything more than an infestation doomed to destroy its environment and become extinct.
On the other hand, maybe Mother Nature's intent is to rid the planet of the nogoodniks who are killing it, then start over with the worthy survivors -- you know, like you and me. ;)

There is no way to put antifreeze in water and in it not be apparent even a few drops, It is made that way.

Very true and it would also taste in the water, not just colour it blue. If you can look past that fault, this episode is still brilliant.

I loved that the beer wasn't just a mcguffin, but an actual plot device and a bridge.
I think that was about the best part of the plot. I admit to not liking this season very much. I don't know why exactly, but it may be that the characters have tended to go and do their own thing, rather than work together as a team. It may be that these remaining characters are just a little one dimensional. It may be something else.

Ethanol is a treatment for antifreeze poisoning (Ethylene glycol). I never knew that. However, the byproducts that the body creates when it breaks it down are what causes the damage i.e. Methanol and Oxalic Acid. They will still have suffered some brain and kidney damage if they drank a lot. Ethanol (or beer) is not a antidote that will prevent that. I don't think they drank very much - they would have been more sick and vomiting if they had, and surely they would have tasted it?

They have a nice set of big fuel guzzling vehicles now. Still no explanation of how they top up the fuel though.

Very true and it would also taste in the water, not just colour it blue. If you can look past that fault, this episode is still brilliant.
I loved the show! To me this was one of the best in the last two years or so. The fact that they can use antifreeze as the poison has little to do with the show and more about how little people in this day and age do for them selves. Most people I would bet have no idea what antifreeze looks like.

I don't know why exactly, but it may be that the characters have tended to go and do their own thing, rather than work together as a team. It may be that these remaining characters are just a little one dimensional. It may be something else.

True, they went all in own directions instead of working as a group for a long time, but it was also teaching them that they cannot do it on their own. There was a LOT of character development in this season. Also did you notice that none of the threads they opened was left hanging loose. Everything had an explanation, even if it was a bit iffy, like the antifreeze poisoning. But it also got me thinking why they had to drink from the bottles, and not from the tap or from the coffee machine? They showed earlier that Morgan had a shower and a long session with the flushing toilet. So, once they realised that they needed water, why nobody emptied the toilet, tried the tap or something else? Another thing that I didn't understood was the windows, what material they were made of for not to break under the bashing?

Most people I would bet have no idea what antifreeze looks like.

It might be the case in the States, but once you get elsewhere people are knowledgeable.

I've really enjoyed this series, yes they did go their own way in the beginning but once they started to work together they showed what teamwork can do.
Martha was terrifying even half dead she was still dangerous.

I like that so far fear isn't drawing out the story lines and we are getting closure instead of a long drawn arc over multiple seasons.

I wouldn't recognise anti freeze never had a reason to use it.

Antifreeze comes in a variety of colors, but I've never seen a clear version.
I thought something was going on, although I didn't suspect antifreeze, when one of the characters (I forget which) commented that a little too much sweetener seemed to be going into the coffee. I've read that antifreeze has a sweet taste.

I've read that antifreeze has a sweet taste.

If you ever tasted a dandelion, it tastes like that. The taste is bitter and it causes you in most cases to vomit. You will definitely know if you had tasted it. Back in the day, when I was studying to be a telecom mechanic in the vocational collage, I fooled one of my mates that by placing a bottle of antifreeze on my lips and acting swallowing. The stupid mate took the hook and downed a good swing. He didn't get to swallow, before he was gagging.

I know I was a bad boy and most probably bully, but that guy had a low IQ and he believed my act. I feel now that what I was doing was wrong, but back then it caused laughter. The reason of why we had the antifreeze in the first place is because it is used to clean PCB's, circuits and other electronics.

Antifreeze thing, with the writers talking about Martha and a fairy tail feel it would have been better to show her in an apple orchard grinding up apple seeds talking about making people strong. I like where they are going with the show I can not wait for next year.

This is something I hope Morgan figures out-
To everything
Turn, turn, turn
There is a season
Turn, turn, turn
And a time to every purpose under Heaven

A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep

To everything
Turn, turn, turn
There is a season
Turn, turn, turn

A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones
A time to gather stones together

To everything
Turn, turn, turn
There is a season
Turn, turn, turn

A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace
A time to refrain from embracings

A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time to love, a time to hate
A time of peace, I swear it's not too late

Well, he's certainly not California Dreaming!

I thought they were going to Alexandria. I don't follow the spoilers or news about the show-runners, but I assumed that due to falling viewer numbers they might amalgamate the two shows. That doesn't seem likely now. Did they think they might do that, but then changed their minds? Because if anything was a McGuffin this season it wasn't the beer but the map to Alexandria.

ut I assumed that due to falling viewer numbers they might amalgamate the two shows.

No. Nothing like that is happening. The viewer numbers are still above the normal, even if they have dipped in the long run. They are not going to Alexandria because Morgan said he wouldn't go. There are people out in the wastes, who needs their help. Nicotero said the same thing.

Although it had a nice conclusion to it I thought this was a disappointing episode overall. A drop from E15. The filthy woman's story was not good, and it featured heavily here. She was apparently able to outwit all the FTWD survivors. It just seemed a bit too silly. But good to see the remaining key players going onto the next season with some positivity. This season we were expecting Madison and Nick to feature heavily again. Instead they were killed and this was Morgan's season. Probably the most a season as revolved around one person other than Rick in TWD. Who knows. Maybe in the final season he will find his son and the Walkers will have crumbled.