DISCUSSION -- OCTOBER 2018 300-word Writing Challenge (#31)

I had the same reaction as Dan, in that many of the stories had the same feel so although they were good, some very good, making it onto my shortlist, I was most taken with those pieces which came from a slightly different angle (angle -- geddit!!). The bent-hook of my fishing rod therefore pulled up the following fishy (and non-fishy) tales:

Appello -- Nets
Cat's Cradle -- Guanyan's Journey of Destiny
elvet -- The Escape
johnnyjet -- Fishermen
LittleStar -- pray
Peter V -- Careful What You Fish For
Phyrebrat -- Witches End
Shyrka -- The Drowned Kings
stormcrow -- Sacrifice
Victoria -- Noncombatants
The first two votes were easy as I'd pegged them on first read -- johnnyjet for his fisher of bodies and souls, and CC for a poignant tale of star-filled grief. For the third, there was a good deal of jostling about, but in the end stormcrow won it for the sheer wonderful word play.

And Peter V gets the prize for the best title with that awful pun!

This was a rare entry from me where I just couldn't fit the whole thing easily into the 300 limit without sacrificing intelligibility or telling rather than showing, so I'm delighted the story nonetheless managed to emerge and please some members. So artistic fishing thanks for the lovely mentions/shortlistings Alex, Shyrka, CC and Phyrebrat and great panoramic hanging-scroll thanks for the wonderful votes Dan, Luiglin, Heijan (yep, 1500 words is definitely how long it really wanted to be!) and crystal!

And we have a two-way tie!

The tie-breaker poll will be along in a moment (or two).

Here are the full results of the Ursa jury, with the stories in posting order within the categories:

Honourable Mentions:
  • The Final by Perpetual Man
  • Sacrifice by stormcrow
  • Washed Up by Graymalkin

Runners Up:
  • Guanyan's Journey of Destiny by Cat's Cradle
  • Fishermen by johnnyjet
  • With Man’s Blood Paint The Ground by M. Robert Gibson

Winners:
  • Big Fish, Little Fish. by mosaix
  • Fillet O’ Flesh by David Evil Overlord
  • Fishing by The Judge

Congrats to both our joint tie-break entrants for coming equal first in this round, and commiserations to CC and mosaix who were just pipped to the tie-break post. As Ursa says, this is only the 3rd tie-break in the 300 Worder history -- we had a 4 way tie in our first year which TDZ won (as she always does...), and Mouse won the last one in January 2013 (which I lost, as I nearly always do... :rolleyes:).

As for the tie-break itself, DEO's story made me laugh and would have been on a longlist had I made one, but Victoria's made my shortlist and was one of the real contenders for a vote, so she gets my vote now. And I see my vote has brought them level pegging. We need a nail-biter smiley!

And glorious fishing and painting thanks to Ursa for his vote for my story!

As I mentioned, and as Heijan divined, my piece wanted to be much longer. I spent a happy hour doing some research into Chinese art so I could use correct terms in the auctioneer's spiel, and was really sad to dump most of it since there simply wasn't room for the world-building and the story together, and barely enough room for the plot alone. There are times I really would like a 500 worder Challenge!

As I'd already voted for @David Evil Overlord before the tie break the choice was straight forward but congrats to them both.

Thanks to @Perpetual Man, @Dan Jones and @Phyrebrat (also cheers for the words PH) the votes and any mentions folks.

Also big thanks to @Parson for his consultancy (y)

For the first time in ages I was really pleased with an entry. Although I did later think I made a huge mistake in one key plot point - to have that sort of exploration capabilities would they still have pencil and paper available in space? :LOL:

My vote for Victoria has made it 10-9. What if there's a tiebreak in the tiebreak? Who gets the first half of the book? Or would top half and bottom half be fairer?
No: someone gets the half with the spine of the book, while the other is left spineless**.

** - Note that there is a current thread that discusses repairing failing book spines, so some solution there might be useful in this situation.

As I'd already voted for @David Evil Overlord before the tie break the choice was straight forward but congrats to them both.

Thanks to @Perpetual Man, @Dan Jones and @Phyrebrat (also cheers for the words PH) the votes and any mentions folks.

Also big thanks to @Parson for his consultancy (y)

For the first time in ages I was really pleased with an entry. Although I did later think I made a huge mistake in one key plot point - to have that sort of exploration capabilities would they still have pencil and paper available in space? :LOL:

I suppose it depends if they went Russian into space

No: someone gets the half with the spine of the book, while the other is left spineless**.

** - Note that there is a current thread that discusses repairing failing book spines, so some solution there might be useful in this situation.

WHY WHY WHY would you bother with repairing a book spine.

Are there no fires?

Are there no rubbish collections?

Oh, a tie-breaker poll. :eek: Haven't watched this thread since I made my votes, I'll need to see what's available.

Had to go with my boy DEO there.

My vote for Victoria has made it 10-9. What if there's a tiebreak in the tiebreak? Who gets the first half of the book? Or would top half and bottom half be fairer?

I've been in a tiebreaker before, for a 75 word challenge. And the Judge and I tied in the tiebreaker, too!

But the prize was only bragging rights, so no books were harmed in the making of our tiebreaker that didn't break the tie at all.

Back