DISCUSSION -- OCTOBER 2018 300-word Writing Challenge (#31)

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
Supporter
The latest 300-worder is not up... well, not yet....

Don't worry, it will be up sometime on Monday. Note that, as always with the longer form challenges, stories can only be entered from the 10th of the month (in this case October) onwards. You can, of course, start discussing the challenge in this thread now.

But what, you may ask, of the image that is meant to inspire your entries? If you are reading this before 23:59 (GMT) on the 30th of October, there is no image... although there is a poll allowing those to vote for the one (out of four) you'd prefer. (If you haven't voted yet, you have an hour or so left from the time this post was posted.)

After that time, and if one of the images has more votes than the others, that image will be your inspiration (so there'll be no need to wait for it appear in the official thread). Obviously, if there is a tie, the mods will decide which of the winners will be used, and this will happen sometime on Monday the 1st of October. (Oh, and just to stress the point the image is only there to provide inspiration; your story does not have to reference it, even indirectly.)

And while I'm here, be aware that we will be making a special announcement when we do open the thread....

What a prize, The Empyreus Proof! My goal now is to have two paper copies of the book, by the end of voting! Hah, no, I won't win, but it is a great book, and so a great incentive. Love the photo, AlexH! Looking forward to the stories, CC

All sorts of places.

It's identity has been known since 23:59 (GMT) -- see the image poll thread -- and it has been in the Challenge story thread since 09:18 (BST) this morning. Oh, and it's now on the front page of the Chrons.

I have never written any fiction, outside of secondary school. This picture has inspired me. I wondered about its story in the photo challenge, now I’ll have a go at telling my own. I am a bit apprehensive. My composition skills are rusty, and my grammar skills are basic. Hopefully, I can get something suitable on the page.

Happy to hear you'll be giving it a go, elvet! Please don't be too apprehensive - we're a very supportive group, and we'll be pulling for you, and your story. :) Voice is important for the 300 worder...if you can find a voice that facilitates the storytelling, the battle's half over. If you have any questions about grammar, I think it's okay to ask, isn't it gang? Or maybe a Mod could help out, if you PM them.
I've taken an Ambien, and I will advise you that folks should not look for their voice, or grammar skills, once they've popped one...writing is hard, on Ambien. ;)
I hope you enjoy writing for the 300, and if you do, try the 75 worder, too. The more of these you complete, the less apprehension you'll have about grammar and composition...or even editing. You learn a lot about those things, or refresh faded memories of them, in the Challenges. Okay, good night!! Oh, Ambien...

How wonderful that you'll be joining us over here in the Writing Challenges, elvet! No need to worry about composition skills or anything else -- if you enjoy writing the story and you're pleased with what you produce, that makes you a complete success!

Three things to bear in mind as you write:
  • the image is only there for inspiration, you don't have to explain it. Some voters (OK, just me) do like to see some kind of link between the image and the story, but even that's not required
  • the genre is SF, fantasy or other speculative fiction. Again some of us will want to see an element of not-real-life in the stories, but other voters don't care, so make of that what you will
  • be very careful about word count! If in doubt about a made-up word or one joined by a hyphen, either ask here or PM one of the Challenge mods
And if you want help with grammar, or just another pair of eyes to look over what you've written before you post your story, just put a note in here asking for assistance -- everyone is more than happy to help out.

I'm looking forward to reading your story! Good luck with it!

Hmmm. Good image. Had a story arrive, then change direction midwrite... Now to unravel it.

Back