DISCUSSION -- OCTOBER 2018 300-word Writing Challenge (#31)

Congratulations Victoria, on a hard fought victory. I do hope you enjoy your marvellous prize, it is a wonderful book. Commiserations to DEO, who took it right to the wire.

I didn't really have many designs on winning the thing with my madcap caper featuring a spectacularly stupid but well-travelled member of the English minor nobility with a fondness for ugly heiresses, but dang if I didn't enjoy writing it.

Many thanks for all the mentions. Pero un Spanglish-inflected "¡muchas gracias amigos!" para los votos de Starbeast, DannyMcg, Luiglin, y Althea!

Sir Reginald Rigmarole Will Return!

Congratulations, Victoria. That was a nail-biter finish.
I am so grateful for my 4 votes on my first ever entry. Thanks to this thread, I have rediscovered the fun of composing fiction. First the excitement of an idea, then the rush of words onto the page. Sure, there is the worry and doubt (see my previous posts). Then the fine tuning, and next, the big step of putting it ‘out there’ for all to see. Big thanks again to The Judge for holding my hand during the process.

Congratulations, Victoria, on a great victory against a tough challenger, DEO!

Also a big thanks for the votes from Victoria, Rafellin, AlexH, TheEndIsNigh, and TheJudge, and the short listings by Cat's Cradle, LittleStar, and Ursa major. And finally thanks for the nice commentaries by Victoria, Cathbad, and Karn.

Another great challenge.

Well done @Victoria Silverwolf even though I voted for @David Evil Overlord twice!

---
As for my own effort, that was an attempt at Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey

I knew I was in trouble for the first draft when I'd written about 200 words and he hadn't even crossed the first threshold!

Consequently the trimming down process meant I had to cut his encounter with Black Scylla, the caged kelpies, grindylows and nixies, and his meeting with the goddess Danu, not to mention the escape pursued by the evil londmen and the triumphant return home.

Also, if anyone is interested, all the character names are from old English.
Bregu = Prince
Gwen = Cwen = Queen
Brimwisa = Sea king
You get the idea
There are a couple of translators out there, I'm not that fluent ;)

And the title is a Shakespearean quote. The kind of thing an angry merman might say :mad:

So there's my excuse for not producing a classic this month.

Still, it was fun trying.

KRAKEN! There's a good chance I was influenced by October's stories. I'm not sure if the monster's reflection looks right but it's a work-in-progress. Now I've posted it I think more kraken needs to be underwater.

IMG_7886-xiapu-fuding-chi-zhuxia-nets-rain-drop-bubbles-720.jpg

Back