Fantasy novel out this December!

Thanks guys! Here's a blurb (revised with the help of you guys):

Revenge is never simple...

Giulia Degarno returns to the city-state of Pagalia with one intention: to kill the man who scarred her and left her for dead. But Publius Severra is no longer a mere criminal, and has risen to become a powerful politician - and perhaps the only man who can save Pagalia from anarchy. Now, as Severra stands poised to seize the throne, Giulia must choose between taking her revenge, and saving her home.

Up To The Throne is a dark fantasy novel set in a magically-enhanced Renaissance: a dangerous world of assassins, alchemists and flying machines. It is a world where artists and scholars cross paths with feuding nobles and clockwork monsters - and death is never far away.

It's a Renaissance fantasy, strongly influenced by thrillers and noir - you could call it grimdark, although it's definitely at the lighter end of the spectrum. The setting includes gunpowder and clockwork, and features flying machines, magical creatures and religious fanatics. It's a self-contained book, but I've got plans for sequels.

Actually, I've got a very quick question about this. It's not set in the real world (ie, it's not about people doing magical things in this reality, like, say Buffy the Vampire Slayer), but it does riff heavily off real-world things (there are characters and places that are clear equivalents).

Does this make it appropriate to describe it as "historical fantasy" or does that really require a real-world setting?

I think you could describe it as historical fantasy. That's how a publisher would probably do it, so you'll find yourself compared not just to books set in our world but secondary world fantasy with a historical feel as well.

The blurb sounds fascinating. I can hardly wait until it comes out. Are you still planning on December 18?

At the moment, it's only on Kindle. There are various reasons for that, but the big one is that I've signed up to Kindle Direct Select, which means that it can only be on that platform for 90 days, IIRC. I would be interested in doing print copies after that, though.

Up To The Throne has had its first review, and it's a really good one!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L9B3HN5/?tag=brite-21

Be sure to announce when this is available in pb, Toby. I don't buy/read ebooks at all, only proper ones, I'm afraid. I've also never read a self-published book in my life, to be quite candid, but I really liked Space Captain Smith so this could be my first foray into the self-pub world if it becomes available.

What were your principle reasons for self-publishing this?

The annoying thing about this book is that every time it comes anywhere near my brain, "Shout To the Top" by the Style Council starts up as an earworm.

50% through now. It really hit its stride some time ago, and is very very good.

Well, I'm very pleased that you enjoyed it. Thanks for your reviews!

I have looked into the business of paper copies, particularly ISBNs, and assuming that nothing goes wrong, I think I will proceed. I've asked the artist to produce a back cover and hopefully paper copies should be available soon. I'll definitely announce it when they are. Thanks everyone!