Your Favorite and least Favorite Dr Who Companions and why ?

I think my favourite companion is probably... Hm. That's a hard one. I'd have to say both Barbara Wright and Ian Chesterfield. Not only did Barbara and Chatterton have to put up with the Doctor's constant snide remarks, subtle insults, and all-around being the grumpiest old man he's ever been* but he's also the one who got the Doctor started on the whole "galactic hero" thing, what with their constant insistence on interfering with history and doing the right thing even when they know it's not likely to help in the long run and not smashing cavemen's skulls with rocks. Here's to Wright and Cheshireson; the teachers who taught the Doctor right from wrong.

As for least favourite, that's easy. Rose. Primarily, I hate her infatuation with the Doctor, which started New Who's trend of every female companion either falling in love with the Doctor or being remarkable for not falling in love.** There's her jealousy over the Doctor having previous companions (*gasp!* The "900"-year-old*** man's had friends before! What a shock!) There's her attempt to break through reality - a thing she was told was cosmically dangerous and potentially universe-ending - just to get back to him, there's her basically dumping Mickey for the Doctor... I'd probably have liked her much better without the awful romance subplot. Couldn't have liked her worse, that's for sure.

* Not to mention constantly getting Cherrington's name wrong accidentally-on-purpose all the time. Although - after a certain episode's sheer slander - I should point out that he was never particularly sexist towards Barbara or Susan. If anything, Chisingholm got the brunt of his grumpiness, since he was competing with the Doctor all the time.
** That's one thing I like about the latest season, at least - no love interest for the Doctor, and the companions aren't even particularly obsessed with her. If only the actual stories had been better, and not mere vehicles for virtue-signalling... well, maybe next season will be better.
*** And if you pull the other one, it'll play "Oranges and Lemons".

Donna noble is probably my favourite. Really great acting and writing.
Yaz my least off the top of my head. Her character is not fleshed out very well. We're shown that she is a police officer, but it doesn't really matter to the story at all. Maybe it's unfair because she is a current companion and still has time to develop.

Yes, Yaz has a few years to go, so for her it would seem that the only way is up.

Favourite from New Who is Clara. Least favourite is Martha.
Favourite from Old Who is Ace. Least favourite is also Ace (she's the only one I remember!)

I've been watching a lot of classic Doctor Who and I've grown to like some of the crazier companions. Like Leela who always had good advice about how to slit someone's throat or the best way to stab under the ribs to get to the heart. Then there's Ace always carrying around explosives and often a baseball bat.

I vaguely remember a long time ago there was an android in the TARDIS who looked a bit like a Cyberman.
He annoyed me for some reason so I'm stating him as my least favourite companion.

(If anyone can identify him!)

Ryan, a fellow dyspraxic, is my new favourite. I love his portrayal of dyspraxia. He gives everything a go and is matter of fact about why he sometimes can't. He has the awkwardness and movements down. I really enjoy his interaction with Graham. I actually think these two have the legs for a great spin off.

Before Ryan it was without a doubt Ace - she could take out a Dalek with a baseball bat and she felt so modern in comparison to previous companions.

Least favourite is without a doubt Amy Pond. For me she felt like a back step as a companion.

Favourite 'old' Doctor companion; Jamie (Frazer Hines): least favourite; Mel (Bonnie Langford).

Favourite 'new' Doctor companion; Donna (Catherine Tate): least favourite; Clara (Jenna Coleman).

Old Who is tricky, because looking back now I have different favourites to my feelings at the time.
When I was young Sarah Jane wound me up something rotten, as did Ace to start with, but looking back, they were the best.
Turlough was and is the worst, with Peri and Mel just behind, although rewatching them Mel was a lot better than I thought at the time.

New Who, Donna was best, with Bill Potts coming a close second.
Unlike most of you, I liked Martha, and although I liked Rose to start with, she (or her story line) eventually grated enough that she ends up being my least favourite. She very nearly swung the balance back to positive in the 50th year story, when I thought she was great.

I liked Martha as well. I liked that she was a doctor and had her own life that was taking off instead of being rescued from drudgery by the doctor. I feel the same way about Graham and Yaz. They' ve come along because it's cool rather than they had nothing better to do.

Ryan, a fellow dyspraxic, is my new favourite. I love his portrayal of dyspraxia. He gives everything a go and is matter of fact about why he sometimes can't. He has the awkwardness and movements down.
It's good to know that from someone who has dyspraxia. To me it seemed the dyspraxia affected Ryan at random times that weren't consistent throughout the series. Maybe that's just ignorance on my part. :)

It's good to know that from someone who has dyspraxia. To me it seemed the dyspraxia affected Ryan at random times that weren't consistent throughout the series. Maybe that's just ignorance on my part. :)

My description of dyspraxia tends to be an odd one (my diagnosis is actually Clumsy Child Syndrome), but its a bit like your mind is constantly so dizzy it can't focus on a particular task. I find sometimes I need to sleep on a task before I can do it. It took me until I was 26 to learn to tie my shoelaces.

It can appear inconsistent as he isn't a child. At 42 mine is a lot less noticeable than the 28 year old lecturer at college or the 17 year old kids. There will be things Ryan's already worked out and can use in certain situations. Skills I have learned in my archaeology and mechanics, I can use in other situations. But there will be times it's "OK crap the skills aren't there, I can't work this out right now."

I think he has the awkwardness pretty perfect. It's why he's been accused on a lot internet threads of being quite wooden.

The only thing I wish they'd included was the issue with shoelaces. I'd love a chase scene where he has the dilemma about whether or not to stop and tie them.

I had no idea of how accurate or otherwise the dyspraxia element was. Consider me educated.

I didn't know I wanted to be represented on prime time TV until it happened. It's the kind of representation minorities of all description fight for. A character who has the issues but they're just there and not a major part of the story.