MATT HELM marathon Weds 8 PM to 4 AM Thurs on TCM

Jeffbert

Seems like Dean Martin day at TCM ends with a bang! :lol:

8 PM
Closed
Captions

comedy

Silencers, The (1966)

Synopsis: In the first Matt Helm adventure, the over-sexed secret agent comes out of retirement to defend a nuclear testing ground.
Dir: Phil Karlson Cast: Dean Martin , Stella Stevens , Daliah Lavi .

Take one shot of danger, two splashes of action and a twist of comedy and add a generous portion of screen legend Dean Martin to the mix and you've got THE SILENCERS, a stylishly... more

-------------------------------------------
10:00 PM

C - 105 m

TV-PG
Widescreen
Closed
Captions

comedy

Murderers' Row (1966)

Synopsis: Secret Agent Matt Helm must recover a stolen 'helio-beam' with the power to destroy the earth.
Dir: Henry Levin Cast: Dean Martin , Ann-Margret , Karl Malden .
------------------------------------------------------
12:00 AM

C - 102 m

TV-PG
Closed
Captions
suspense
Ambushers, The (1967)

Synopsis: When an experimental flying saucer crashes, secret agent Matt Helm has to bring back the secret weapons hidden on board.
Dir: Henry Levin Cast: Dean Martin , Senta Berger , Janice Rule .
---------------------------------------------------------
2:00 AM

C - 105 m

TV-PG
Widescreen

Closed
Captions

comedy

Wrecking Crew, The (1968)

Synopsis: Secret agent Matt Helm tries to stop a super-villain from stealing a billion-dollar gold shipment.
Dir: Phil Karlson Cast: Dean Martin , Elke Sommer , Sharon Tate .
Times are for Eastern STD USA

I've seen at least one of these things. The Silencers, I think. Anyway, the one with the opening credits featuring the great dancer Cyd Charisse doing a strip tease. Highlight of the film, just as she stole Singing in the Rain with another sexy dance number featuring her extra-long legs. Besides that, the movie is worthless, a really stupid comedy with lots of sleazy, smarmy sex-teasing, which seems childish next to Charisse's genuine eroticism.

I just enjoy the spy spoofs. Sorry you dislike them. They are sexist; no doubt about that.

There was a Matt Helm tv series which ran for one season in the mid 1970's

Oh, I can enjoy a good spy spoof; I just think the Matt Helm series is a lousy example.

Ive seen theses films , they're entertaining enough.

If you want to see a fun over top spy spoof Try Our Man Flint 1966 an In like Flint 1967. Staring James Coburn as Super Spy Derek Flint who has an almost Phyllo Vance like grasp of everything and everyone around him. Lee J Cobb plays his stressed out Boss . They work for an an organization called ZOWIE. I have no idea what it stands for.:)

Last edited:
Zonal Organization for World Intelligence and Espionage, of course.

The Flint films are the best spy spoofs I know. Harlan Ellison wrote a screenplay for a third one which was never made.

Flintlocked , It can be found in the The Anthology The Essential Ellison . Ive read it, I thought it quite good.

There was a third Flint film made In the 1970's I think it was a made for tv film.

There was an electronic bumper sticker speech to text marquee thingy in one of those MH films; I am surprised that nobody (as far as I know) actually makes them.

Oh, I can enjoy a good spy spoof; I just think the Matt Helm series is a lousy example.

You are exactly right. The Matt Helm movies are pitched way too low and broad and Dean Martin was a poor choice for a role like that. They also make a mockery of Donald Hamilton's character and some fairly good spy novels.
Compare to James Coburn in the Flint movies which were also too sophomoric in their humor but did have Coburn , a much better actor.
The proper humor was in the Bond films and the more nuanced tongue in cheek ... at least in the Connery versions , it also broadened out some in the Roger Moore ones .... I like Roger Moore as an actor.... but I thought he was a terrible Bond.

As far as I know, the MH films cast DM because he was a singer, and did so in those films. Acting ability was secondary. Thus, the films appealed to both men & women.

As far as I know, the MH films cast DM because he was a singer, and did so in those films. Acting ability was secondary. Thus, the films appealed to both men & women.
Too bad they didn't entertain me.

You are exactly right. The Matt Helm movies are pitched way too low and broad and Dean Martin was a poor choice for a role like that. They also make a mockery of Donald Hamilton's character and some fairly good spy novels.
Compare to James Coburn in the Flint movies which were also too sophomoric in their humor but did have Coburn , a much better actor.
The proper humor was in the Bond films and the more nuanced tongue in cheek ... at least in the Connery versions , it also broadened out some in the Roger Moore ones .... I like Roger Moore as an actor.... but I thought he was a terrible Bond.

It sounds like what they gave us instead , was another reimagined classic.