Apologies for the down time

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
My apologies for the downtime yesterday - chrons was offline for around 12 hours after a serious server crash. I'm told that the first attempt to restore all data failed, which was one reason why it took so long to recover - if your own computer has ever crashed and needed everything reinstalling again, you'll know it's not a quick job anyway. :)

I also wanted to reassure everyone that every Sunday morning I do a manual backup of the chrons database, so that I always have a pretty recent backup without having to rely on the hosting company. That way, I always have a relatively recent copy to fall back on in the event of a catastrophic loss of data.

Anyway, here's hoping it's smooth running on the server from now on. :)

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
The monkey! It's always the monkeys.

Seriously, I'm surprised that no posts seem to have been lost. I have some up to 10.00 BST that are recovered. I'd say they are doing a good job with the backing up. Back in the Great Crash weeks were lost. You can't really avoid the hardware failing at some point, but you can be prepared for it happening.

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
Just looked, and one of mine in the Staff Room seems to be the very last one saved before everything went pear-shaped. I thought there were other posts made after that, though, before I logged off, so it could be we've lost a few.

Anyhow, thanks for sorting it all out, Brian. I wasn't quite at Graymalkin's DT stage, but I was definitely getting withdrawal symptoms!

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
I'm amazed at how much I was able to accomplish yesterday. :D

If it's any kind of help in determining what went wrong, this is what I got all day when I attempted to connect.

chronsfatalerror.PNG

Someone fluent in technogibberish might find a clue here. :unsure:

TheDustyZebra

Aspiring notaphilist
Staff member
Supporter
*Makes a mental note that, in future, its best not to unplug random things in the Chrons when one wants to charge up their Kindle*

Glad to see things all back and in good order and that it was just a crash that caused the issue! :)
Oh, good, I thought it was me plugging in the space heater under the board. (That's how I took the radio station off the air on Christmas morning one year when I worked there.)

scarpelius

I'm amazed at how much I was able to accomplish yesterday. :D

If it's any kind of help in determining what went wrong, this is what I got all day when I attempted to connect.

View attachment 47028

Someone fluent in technogibberish might find a clue here. :unsure:
That is essentially saying there is no DB available to connect to.

This kind of message should not be allowed in a production server, as it will allow an eventual attacker to get insights about the site structure.

M. Robert Gibson

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
Someone fluent in technogibberish might find a clue here
That is essentially saying there is no DB available to connect to.

This kind of message should not be allowed in a production server, as it will allow an eventual attacker to get insights about the site structure.
To put it another way, the developers could be a bit more robust in their exception handling.