Formatting as you write...

Just some thoughts on this, for the moment disregarding 'styles,' though I believe ultimately they will help me to format with ease.

I'm discovering that I like a few (unconventional compared to many books) things when I test out various styles of format. I prefer plain old Arial font, 12 size. I like seeing my dialogue in italics, between double quotes with emphasis added using single quotes, and underlines (used sparingly). Thought text I prefer in single quotes though still in italics. Naturally, italics is used as emphasis in normal text and quotes (dbl. or single) where they apply.

Where I'm diverging somewhat and am actually firm on, page count be darned... is I prefer a blank line between paragraphs. Each paragraph I indent .25", .5" seems excessive, however, I really-really am not liking dialogue indented. A bit of dialogue followed by a significant amount of text does not look bad, yet those short lines of dialogue all by their lonesome do. Naturally then for consistency, if I'm not indenting the short then I shouldn't the long.

Conversely, dialogue where numerous people are all shouting at the same time, I'm really liking no space between the lines, indenting the first line and little .25 indents from one line to the next, something like this:

----"Blah blah..."
--------"Blah blah..."
------------"Blah blah..."

Anywho, just some thoughts. This thread and all others that I have asked questions in, I keep in mind and refer to often as my writing skills grow and improve.

Thanks for all of the input and help!

K2

Hi,

Actually I like some of that belt and braces formatting myself. Normally I use block formatting for ebooks - ie an empty line between paragraphs. And I use both block and inset format, ie a line and a 1 cm indent for paper. It just looks so good on a page. I also use twelve point font (usually just Times New Roman) because my eyes are starting to get old.

The one thing I would say, is I'm not hard and fast about this. I change, usually because the book is getting physically too large which adds to expense. One book I managed to reduce in price from $24 to $17 simply by changing to non block formatting, reducing the font's point size and changing the actual font.

Cheers, Greg.

I didn't like standard manuscript format when I started writing in it, but I've quickly got used to it.

I find italic text difficult to read. I remember one short story where one point-of-view was completely in italics and it was horrible to read.

I didn't like standard manuscript format when I started writing in it, but I've quickly got used to it.

I find italic text difficult to read. I remember one short story where one point-of-view was completely in italics and it was horrible to read.

I've read that (regarding italics) by a few individuals, yet then in the same breath have read others liked the differentiation and still others just simply didn't care. For myself, I don't like reading N.T.Roman or similar, serif fonts. All of the discussion as to helps direct flow, leading the eyes and so on due to the serifs is leaning (like italics) away from those beliefs, yet again in the same vein others argue to the contrary.

What I'd lay a bet on, however, is that serif fonts are more difficult to read in italics and simpler sans-serif fonts are easier. So I'm betting that it's not just one thing that helps or hinders, yet many (including spacing).

That said, as I mentioned above, the one thing I feel pretty firm on is spacing between paragraphs. Perhaps I'm just old, or possibly I've not practiced enough by reading 'walls of text' on forums and the like, yet when I open a book and find every paragraph jammed together, indentation alone not enough for me, I rather quickly become frustrated.

That break of a single blank line gives me a moment to digest, figure out and sort what I just read. That pause, for me, is as important as punctuation, perhaps more so. In fact, in my own writing I'll where appropriate have a single transition sentence between paragraphs in that it really adds emphasis. That emphasis coming in the form of highlighting that line, yet also grants enough of a pause so the subsequent paragraph has impact.

Is it right to do? Acceptable? A publishing no-no? That I don't know. I only know what works for me... and it is important enough to me, that I think I would fight against losing that spacing for page count. I'd rather lose a sale (which I have never published for profit as of yet so talking out my...) for a couple extra dollars than lose one because what I wrote is too difficult to read.

K2

Personally I've never had an issue reading italics when it comes to Times New Roman or Courier, but, I can see where people come from. Spacing on paragraphs, well, that's what indenting is for. Line breaks, I believe, should only be used for mid-chapter scene changes or violent POV shifts-though if you do this, PLEASE do not follow Tad Williams' example. I was almost turned off of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn because of his leapfrogging.

I'm also a Scrivener user, and the advantage of that is that you don't need to worry so much about formatting. All my chapters are in different fonts, different line spacings and text sizes as my mood dictates (I'm currently writing in 1.1 line spacing, because I'm a goddamned rebel and I don't give a hoot), but that doesn't matter as you format the whole thing at the end in one big go.

Scrivener fanboy here, too. Carrying on from what Dan says above - you could write in cyan graverplate or (gasp!) comic sans the entire project if you liked. When you click that ‘compile’ button, it will clear all that formatting of colour and font to your global project choice. In addition you can as-you-type have the smart quotes enabled (converting straight quotes to lh and rh quotes) which makes things much easier.

Basically Scrivener alliesyou to focus on the creative act as opposed to the nuts and bolts.

It’s very reassuring.

I write in TNR 12pt with a 1.3 line gap in Scrivener. I compile to pdf which I then proof on the tube with a stylus and red ‘ink’.

pH

Well, for me, Microsoft Works has always provided me with what I felt I needed for my writing without all the bells and whistles and confusion-not to mention cartoony atmosphere-of Word. Nice, simple, clean, with an alignment I find to be very important to use for my writing. (Justified alignment, though admittedly with such you are better off hard-forcing a new paragraph or risk very large, choppy spacing between words sometimes.)

I personally find that any and all simple formatting should be done at the very start, keep it minimal and clean, so as to not distract from letting the words flow from mind to hand to screen.

I have it all set up from the start - I use times new roman 12pt font with double spacing and indented paragraphs as that's what you generally need for agent and publisher subs. I write and edit everything in word. I've attempted scrivener a few times, but as you have to learn how to use it before you start, I always got frustrated and went back to word. It's worth a try but doesn't work for everyone.