Captain Marvel (2019)

Looks fun.

Although he's changed a bit from the comics I have...

View attachment 50859 View attachment 50860

It's the only thing the bothered me about the movie (which I otherwise liked). I also have the whole run of Captain Marvel and the first ever graphic novel, The Death of Captain Marvel. Not only did the gender bend him with no real reason. They made him/her something less.

Just got round to watching this, have to say I really enjoyed it and I think the penny dropped for how the world will be saved in End Game.

So I take it then that you've managed this whole time to avoid Endgame spoilers? Truly, you are a master. Can you teach me your ways?

Finally got around to watching Captain Marvel and really enjoyed it. Didn't look like much at the start, but it really developed nicely and in the end it was a clever and intelligent action film. :)

It's the only thing the bothered me about the movie (which I otherwise liked). I also have the whole run of Captain Marvel and the first ever graphic novel, The Death of Captain Marvel. Not only did the gender bend him with no real reason. They made him/her something less.
I believe that is a different character and the original user of the name "Captain Marvel". This one was known as Ms. Marvel until recently. (See "Human Torch")

I enjoyed the film. No romance or romantic history - love that. Characters can be real without that information.

Looks fun.

Although he's changed a bit from the comics I have...

View attachment 50859 View attachment 50860

If I remember his history, he was a Cree . I never followed this comic book, in fact, the first time I heard of this version of Captain Marvel was the graphic novel The Death of Captain Marvel. He was dying of cancer from having been exposed to carcinogenic gas on one of his missions and he could not be saved. As he lay dying in a hospital bed, Thanos who is frozen and dead as result of a recent fight with Marvel , seemingly comes back to life to settle accounts, He finds Marvel ravaged and he use his powers to seemingly restores him to health , so that he be at the peak of his powers for their rematch. What's interesting about this story is why Thanos is fighting him and it's not the reason you think. It was by far one the best graphic novels ive ever read.

Last edited:
I believe that is a different character and the original user of the name "Captain Marvel". This one was known as Ms. Marvel until recently. (See "Human Torch")

I was referring to her lady mentor that she later found alive. That character took the place of the original Captain Mar-Vell. Parts of her story were taken from him.

Yeah Mar-Vell was a Kree in the books who was known as Captain Marvel. Carol Danvers was a non powered character who they gave powers to later in the 70s when there was a big push for more female super heroes in comics. A lot of these heroes were just female versions of male heroes (spider woman, she hulk, etc) so she became Ms. Marvel.

Fast forward through a strange God rape storyline, alcoholism and losing her powers in the 90s edgy era, gaining her powers back and becoming the OP Binary for a while, then a good run of Ms. Marvel comics in the 2000s.

Mar-Vell dies and Carol takes on the name of Captain Marvel in an absolutely fantastic comic series written by Kelly Sue DeConnick. Annette Benning's character in the movie sorta plays a merged version of Mar-Vell, Tracy Burke, and another character (who's name I can't remember) who was a pilot who's records she wanted to break before she got her powers.

The movie took a lot from Kelly's comic books. They are well worth the read. First one is called Captain Marvel: In Pursuit of Flight

Most of the Marvel pics (I think) are pretty mediocre, camouflaged by lots of whizz-bang and lame wisecracks but this one I liked. Although it followed a pretty standard plot, I thought it gelled better than most of the others.

I enjoyed it, and have since rewatched and it held up well on a rewatch, too. One good thing is it's accessible for those who haven't been following all the Marvel movies — I took my dad to see it, and he has watched exactly zero Marvel films and yet had a great time. Obviously, knowing who Fury, Coulson, and the Kree are adds layers, but you can go in 'cold' and still enjoy it.

Looking forward to meeting grown up Monica when the Wanda Vision TV show comes out!

Most of the Marvel pics (I think) are pretty mediocre, camouflaged by lots of whizz-bang and lame wisecracks but this one I liked. Although it followed a pretty standard plot, I thought it gelled better than most of the others.
Looking back, the most wise-cracky films are often the most enjoyable. That Thor/Hulk film was really entertaining, but was ridiculous.