Villeneuve's Dune: Part One (2019)

Brolin as Halleck seems like perfect casting. Not convinced on Momoa as Idaho, although Momoa does exude a violence and a danger so I will give him a chance as I do like him in other stuff even if he's not the greatest actor.

He's hot property at the moment as well so will definitely boost viewing figures outside of the normal viewership.

Brolin as Halleck seems like perfect casting. Not convinced on Momoa as Idaho, although Momoa does exude a violence and a danger so I will give him a chance as I do like him in other stuff even if he's not the greatest actor.

He's hot property at the moment as well so will definitely boost viewing figures outside of the normal viewership.
What's the point of boosting viewing figures if all it does is have even more people cry WTF! at his performance?

Yeah Halleck, this seems to be by artist Bruno Gauthier Leblanc, he did a number of concepts, some seem to lean heavy on the 1984 movie, some look great but a bit to baroque. In fact baroque seems to influence a good bit of Dune concept art I see.... like this... great looking but too much going on:
View attachment 50074
Not too bad but there's more wrong than right. At least she's wearing a cloak. And what about the Eyes of Ibad?

Aldo Ray. He briefly appears in this 8mm footage Sean Young took of Life on the Dune set. It's worth watching just to see Harkonnen's having breakfast at a hotel table.

Yeah Aldo Ray was cut finally because he got so hammered he could not perform.
Interesting seeing Raffaella De Laurentiis she was doing all the heavy lifting for the production.
The great cinemaphotographer Freddie Frances is there I forget about him being part of this production.
That was quite a cast all mugging for the camera.

Yeah Aldo Ray was cut finally because he got so hammered he could not perform.
Interesting seeing Raffaella De Laurentiis she was doing all the heavy lifting for the production.
The great cinemaphotographer Freddie Frances is there I forget about him being part of this production.
That was quite a cast all mugging for the camera.
It certainly captures a time in cinema. It reminded me how good those still suits really are.

I occurred to me today why the choice of Momoa is irritating me so much. It's because I always thought that Mandy Patinkin circa Princess Bride would have made a perfect Duncan Idaho. He had the physical ability and was certainly a great actor. It's just a shame that Villeneuve couldn't see that that is the calibre of actor the Idaho character deserves. Not some flash in the pan.

I tend to agree - for some reason I picture Duncan as slim and possessed of a calm exterior, capable of being very refined. His swordplay would be artful, not hack and slash as I picture Momoa. He'd be a better Beast Rabban...

I tend to agree - for some reason I picture Duncan as slim and possessed of a calm exterior, capable of being very refined. His swordplay would be artful, not hack and slash as I picture Momoa. He'd be a better Beast Rabban...

This is more in keeping of how I see Duncan.
mandypatinkin-1.jpg

It's possible he's never had a role that's challenged his range before. If you've an archetypal physicality, like Mamoa or Monroe, you tend to get the same parts.

Exactly. We already know that the man has some excellent comic timing, why not some presence and complexity too?