Villeneuve's Dune: Part One (2019)

Brolin will portray Gurney Halleck.
A famous Halleck ..... below.....(man that movie had a heck of cast!)

halick.jpg

Isn't the financial flop of Blade Runner 2049 very much in keeping with the original?
Would love to see a new Dune film. The potential is excellent. Let's hope the reality is too.

Jason Momoa will play Duncan Idaho.
An odd pick there , tho I like Momoa.

I've seen reports of Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck and (wait for it) Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho.

I can work with that.
(EDIT: Oops! Just seen you guys already know this!)

Supposedly principal photography starts in two weeks.
Maybe we will hear more.

Brolin isn't grizzled enough or artistic enough for a character like Gurney Halleck. Stewart fit the role perfectly of a poet-troubadour-warrior.

Patrick Stewart was way too smooth, too polished around the edges. Here's the first time we see Gurney:

The door across from Paul banged open and an ugly lump of a man lurched through it, preceded by a handful of weapons. [...] Paul watched the ugly rolling man set himself back in motion, veer toward the training table with the weapons...

Patrick was neither ugly, nor rolling. And they didn't give him the inkvine scar on his face, that Beast Rabban put there...

Patrick Stewart was way too smooth, too polished around the edges. Here's the first time we see Gurney:

The door across from Paul banged open and an ugly lump of a man lurched through it, preceded by a handful of weapons. [...] Paul watched the ugly rolling man set himself back in motion, veer toward the training table with the weapons...

Patrick was neither ugly, nor rolling. And they didn't give him the inkvine scar on his face, that Beast Rabban put there...
Absolutely correct. Hollywood would never have allowed someone like that on screen as a hero figure at that time. However, Stewart had the internal characteristics very well. You can see him quoting literature and poetry while writing a song for his baliset and gutting you like a fish all at once.

Patrick Stewart was way too smooth, too polished around the edges.

Stewart had to leap into the role a week before filming. They were really stuck for options. They were gonna use that ex-WW2 guy who was in loads of old Hollywood movies playing sergeants, but when he turned up it was clear to Lynch and everyone alcoholism had truly wrecked him, poor sod.

I assume you're referring to Gurney Halleck and not Duncan Idaho. But yes, that looks like that rogue Gurney.
Yeah Halleck, this seems to be by artist Bruno Gauthier Leblanc, he did a number of concepts, some seem to lean heavy on the 1984 movie, some look great but a bit to baroque. In fact baroque seems to influence a good bit of Dune concept art I see.... like this... great looking but too much going on:
dunef.jpg