Villeneuve's Dune: Part One (2019)

Just watched it. It was okay. I think I will like it better when I have seen part 2 and there isn't as much world-building.
The Ornithopters were great to look at!!!

The film is huge hit , and and warning crucial acclaim. Wouldn't it be cool if it won the Oscar for best picture? :cool:

Well, we've not seen the Emperor yet, or a Guild Navigator.

"How many tons of Spice have we mined from Arrakis? One - ah, hah, hah! Two - ah, hah, hah..."

A short, interesting review of David Lynch's version, written in 2014:

A short, interesting review of David Lynch's version, written in 2014:

Visually , Lynch's version captures Dune . But trying compress the whole complex story into 2 plus hours was never going to work and, it really didn't work at all. Im thinking that Lynch's version would have been far better had he been able to make the film in two parts like the current incarnation is doing. With 4 plus hours to work with , the results would have been far better.

A fair enough comment by both Baylor and the article.

But looked at the other way round, Villeneuve's version makes a better film but a worse representation of the book.
Gone is any meaning to the Gom Jabbar, and thus any feeling ing for who the Bene Gesserit are. Gone is any really impression of the utter vileness of the Baron or the thoughtless evil of Beast Rabban.
All of which are pretty central to the story.

But better ornithopters, and a fancier vision of a sandworm's mouth. So the film critics are happy.

A fair enough comment by both Baylor and the article.

But looked at the other way round, Villeneuve's version makes a better film but a worse representation of the book.
Gone is any meaning to the Gom Jabbar, and thus any feeling ing for who the Bene Gesserit are. Gone is any really impression of the utter vileness of the Baron or the thoughtless evil of Beast Rabban.
All of which are pretty central to the story.

But better ornithopters, and a fancier vision of a sandworm's mouth. So the film critics are happy.
Im so glad this film has become such a big hit. :cool:

I have a huge soft spot for David Lynch's movie. I adore the aesthetic. It was the movie of Dune that inspired me to read the book. An underrated gem and a guilty pleasure at the same time.

I saw this yesterday and thought it was pretty good. The camera work and the aesthetic were just beautiful. In really liked the cast, too (this was the first time i had seen Timothy Chalamet and Rebecca Ferguson on screen and I liked them). The acting was great from everyone. I really enjoyed the soundtrack, too and the use of different styles of music was quite effective.

I'll pick up a copy of this on Blu-Ray and i can't wait to watch it again.

I did feel that it was kind of "Dune-Lite" with so much left out and as the story is being told over two movies, it made me think about Lynch's movie and how accomplished it was. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but like Herbert's book, Lynch's Dune was very ideas dense too.

At last, a film of Dune that actually lives up to the promise of the book.... er, well, the first 1/3 of the book anyway. If the rest gets made (anyone remember the Lord of the Rings animation) then it should be excellent.

I also agree that a miniseries, or even a full TV series with many seasons, would do the story even more justice, especially now that the budget for TV, and consequently, the quality, is so much higher. However, the depictions of the ornithopters, sandworms, Fremen, the hunter-seeker, and the spacecraft, are all much more like those my mind had created from reading the book.

Lynch got the look and mood of Dune right.

If only he could have done his film in 4 or 6 hour miniseries format. The result would have been spectacular.

It's a movie that pretty much requires the viewer to have read the book. An unfair expectation to be fair, but with a number of leaps and relatively unexplained happenings the viewer is left with their heads spinning (as was mine when I first watched it). Having played the 2 excellent video games (especially the graphic adventure) and thus being intrigued enough to read the book, the next time I watched the movie I knew exactly what was going on. The recreation of scenes and characters from the novel is very well done, especially the worms and the Baron.

Not seen the new movie yet, but the look of it doesn't give me great expectations.