What Are Your Favorite Cartoons , Cartoon Characters and Animated TV Series ?

In the modern era, Wallace and Gromit is by far the best cartoon produced.

In the classic era, the Warner Bros. cartoons were the best. They have to be seen in their original format and not the edited versions they show today. Helicopter mums. Sheesh.

I also liked the little known Rocket Robin Hood. It was total rubbish, but it appealed to me as a kid.

Thundercats. Mumm-Ra's voice, particularly the scream during transformation, was particularly fantastic.

Also enjoyed a captioned picture of Panthro I saw recently. Something like "You know the mechanic, the martial artist, the incredibly strong guy, the cool guy? Panthro was all of them."

Even like the art style (I drew a reasonably good profile of Tygra, it's in the media section if anyone wants a look. And if they don't, to be honest).

I remember that when the Flintstones was announced it sounded intriguing , when it appeared with its juvenile broad humor I was sore disappointed.
However , in 1960, I discovered The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends and that was a godsend!
I loved the puns and off the wall humor.
I thought the best part of those show was Fractured Fairy Tales narrated by Edward Everett Horton. These were really Monty Python-ish , I loved how they took some of the weird fairy tales were taken to logical conclusions in contra-balance to their wacko old-European content.
"Why do frogs have no tales .
Because they croak every night."

View attachment 47121

Oh yes, Rocky and Bullwinkle, This show had some the best satire of all time. When I first saw it as a kid the jokes went over my head and the satire was lost on me. But years later, watching it as an adult I appreciate the wickedly funny satire of satire and jokes. This is one old show I can watch over and over, because its lost none its entertainment value. :cool:(y)

Oh yes, Rocky and Bullwinkle, This show had some the best satire of all time. When I first saw it as a kid the jokes went over my head and the satire was lost on me. But years later, watching it as an adult I appreciate the wickedly funny satire of satire and jokes. This is one old show I can watch over and over, because its lost none its entertainment value. :cool:(y)

Also the Tennessee Tuxedo voiced by Don Adams . He and his pal Chumley the Walrus caused caused Zookeeper Stanley Livingston no end of consternation with his crazy schemes . Then there was the wonder Mr Whoopi the man with all the answers, one of my favoite characters on the show.

In that's show there Commander McBragg and his impossible and impossible adventures. Definitely a good to the The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.

Alot love and care went into these wonderful tv shows :)

Early Popeye cartoons.

The early Max Fleischer cartoons are quite good and the early Paramount made cartoons.

Memorable

Goonland With Poopdeck Pappy and probably his finest character moment.
Popeye in Aladdins Wonderful Lamp
Popeye Meets Sinbad

There are other that I like , but theses top my list of favorite Popeye Cartoons . They don't Cartoons like theses anymore, These had an artistry and character that are lacking in so many of today animation.

Last edited:
The Famous Adventures off Mr Magoo. This show ran from 1864 to 65 . In this show he vastly different then in previous incarnation he's not a bumbler, they play him as serious and capable and it is wonderful behold ! :):cool:They take classic stories like Frankenstein ,King Arthur , The Count of Monte Christo, Robin Hood. With Quincy Magoo in the lead characters role .:cool: This was a great tv show and the sad part is it is so little remembered.:(

Last edited:
Also liked those old cartoons where, how can I say this, inanimate objects like dishes and silverware with golden age movie star faces danced around the kitchen, jumping in the sink to get washed, stuff like that. Anyone remember those? Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

The early Max Fleischer cartoons are quite good and the early Paramount made cartoons.

Memorable

Goonland With Poopdeck Pappy and probably his finest character moment.
Popeye in Aladdins Wonderful Lamp
Popeye Meets Sinbad

There are other that I like , but theses top my list of favorite Popeye Cartoons . They don't Cartoons like theses anymore, These had an artistry and character that are lacking in so many of today animation.
Those three are classics. I was riveted to the tube whenever they came on.

Those three are classics. I was riveted to the tube whenever they came on.

Max Fleischer also did Superman Cartoons which even by todays standards are impressive ! They hd an influence on the Superman series that was done in the 1990's.:)

The Famous Adventures off Mr Magoo. This show ran from 1864 to 65 . In this show he vastly different then in previous incarnation he's not a bumbler, they play him as serious and capable and it is wonderful behold ! :):cool:They take classic stories like Frankenstein ,King Arthur , The Count of Monte Christo, Robin Hood. With Quincy Magoo in the lead characters role .:cool: This was a great tv show and the sad part is it is so little remembered.:(
In the 1950'a Magoo was really innovative and look so different from any other animation done at the time. Still does.
Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner, at least in the 1950s when they used up all the ideas, was another innovative one , all visual humor .

In the 1950'a Magoo was really innovative and look so different from any other animation done at the time. Still does.
Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner, at least in the 1950s when they used up all the ideas, was another innovative one , all visual humor .

My favorite Road Runner Cartoon is the The Fast and Furrious. :lol:

Going backwards in time: Avatar The Last Airbender, 2002 He-Man remake, 2002 TMNT remake, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Gargoyles, The Pirates of Darkwater, Captain Bucky O'Hare, all the 90's DC cartoons, Centurians, Ulysses, Mysterious Cities Of Gold, Visionaries, Thundercats, Dogtanien and the Muskerhounds.

There are more but these are the stand - outs.

Some of the most clever and even odd cartoons are by Warner Bros especially between 1945 and 1955.
I noticed even in those days that Warner was pitched at a higher level than MGM or Disney , some of it down right strange , i loved that stuff.

Childhood favourites included Fraggle Rock and Danger Mouse. Danger Mouse seems dated now, but I still love Fraggle Rock. I enjoyed The Raggy Dolls too, and the theme tune by Neil Innes is great.

Also some of the classics like Bugs Bunny, Pink Panther and Tom & Jerry.

Some episodes of Futurama, The Simpsons, American Dad and Family Guy are brilliant. I've watched a couple of Disenchantment trailers, but based on those it doesn't appeal to me.

I saw a cartoon aimed at very young children (I guess). I can't remember what it was called, but it had quite a few Game of Thrones references (including the music) and I enjoyed that.

If Wallace & Gromit can count as a TV series, it's unbeatable. I wasn't a big fan of the film, but the shorts are pretty much perfect. I also really enjoy Shaun the Sheep.

Ive seen Wallace and Gromit Hilarious. :LOL:

Magilla Gorilla, for sale. (How much is that gorilla in the window?)

Fractured Fairytales.

ps: it is so great when I find a new SFF thread to follow.I

"Which way did he go George, which way did he go?"

" Exit Stage, Thattaway. "

Last edited:
If Wallace & Gromit can count as a TV series, it's unbeatable. I wasn't a big fan of the film, but the shorts are pretty much perfect. I also really enjoy Shaun the Sheep.

I know of no other recent animation series as clever as Wallace and Gromit the feature length films are as inventive … 4 Oscars for his remarkable work.