Non-English Science Fiction

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
Recently I've been looking outside the English language for science fiction. I've already read the Strugatsky brothers, Cixin Liu, and the Perry Rhodan stories. I've recently discovered Pierre Bordage and his Les Guerriers du silence.

I was wondering if anyone else had recommendations outside of the English language? Translations are, of course, useful to everyone here, but even if you read them in their original language, I would love to hear about them.

The Machynlleth trilogy by Jan Morris. The book is printed in Welsh and English on facing pages.

I'm learning French and Italian this year, so just for fun I've bought the Italian ebook of David Gemmell's Legend for just 89p (at present), and am waiting for the French edition to come down in price. :)

For fun I might also buy the Italian and French versions of the Marvel graphic edition of Star Wars (original film), as I have an old copy of the English - so I can literally make side-by-side comparisons. However, that's a little more pricey, so I'm waiting on that.

I'm learning French and Italian this year, so just for fun I've bought the Italian ebook of David Gemmell's Legend for just 89p (at present), and am waiting for the French edition to come down in price. :)

For fun I might also buy the Italian and French versions of the Marvel graphic edition of Star Wars (original film), as I have an old copy of the English - so I can literally make side-by-side comparisons. However, that's a little more pricey, so I'm waiting on that.
To help with your French I'd suggest reading Asterix, Tintin, and Valerian in the original Klingon French. Also, as bad as it is, any of Dan Brown's books. They're written for a low reading level and weren't difficult to translate I imagine.

I just spotted this story by Maria Haskins, translated from Swedish to English by Maria Haskins herself:
The Gates of Balawat | Balawats portar

I haven't read much by her, but The Ghost In Angelica’s Room is a favourite.

Edit: "Samovar is a quarterly magazine of and about speculative fiction in translation, published by Strange Horizons." There's plenty for you there then, if you didn't know of it already! :)

Haruki Murakami's books are all available in good English translations and frequently have strong SFF elements.

I've read the Night Watch Trilogy and Battle Royale, but that's it really.

I need to try and read Stanislaw Lem's Solaris.

It seems there is more stuff coming out of China in recent years. I've not read any last year there was rave reviews for Hao Jingfang.

I’ve read Metro 2033. It was pretty good and I have the game still to play on my Steam account.

I am off to Kolkata (Calcutta) in a few weeks for work. I changed trains in the main station there once many years ago (pre-internet) but have never been into the city proper.

I like checking out bookstores wherever I go.

Kolkata has some famous bookstores, so I will be spoilt. On a whim I looked up SF in Kolkata. It looks like there might be some stuff worth exploring during my time there.

112593-sbzlzferqe-1549704834.jpg