Japan Starts Space Elevator Experiments

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
That's actually quite exciting, though I doubt it will appear in my lifetime. I wonder how practical it would be to have some sort of intermediate stations along the way to geosynchronous orbit. If they could it would make it even more economically viable for launching low orbit satellites as well.

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter
It's a great dream, but I believe unfortunately we are still really far from getting something even close to ACC's original :(

The main issue is, I believe, (and slapping carbon nanotubes as a catch word into it doesn't solve it) is having a cable strong enough. We are still in the realm of science fiction rather than science at the moment.

But I am optimistic, as advances in material science in the coming decades will probably make our current knowledge look as if we were just medieval smithies. So perhaps there will be a breakthrough on some sort of cheap and amazingly strong cable 'stuff'!

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
It's a great dream, but I believe unfortunately we are still really far from getting something even close to ACC's original :(

The main issue is, I believe, (and slapping carbon nanotubes as a catch word into it doesn't solve it) is having a cable strong enough. We are still in the realm of science fiction rather than science at the moment.

But I am optimistic, as advances in material science in the coming decades will probably make our current knowledge look as if we were just medieval smithies. So perhaps there will be a breakthrough on some sort of cheap and amazingly strong cable 'stuff'!
Yeah, that's why I doubt it will be in my already slightly aged lifetime!

Hopefully, by the time they figure this all out (before disregarding it as unviable), advanced propulsion drives will be developed making it obsolete before it is even built. And I don't mean some Vernian moon gun either.

K2

Vince W

Supporter
If the material required will be super strong, why not use them to build very very high rises. Use them almost like a stalk and then build living 'leafs' off them. I may need to think about this.

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
If the material required will be super strong, why not use them to build very very high rises. Use them almost like a stalk and then build living 'leafs' off them. I may need to think about this.
I think the material for a space elevator needs to be strong under tension not compression. I'm not brilliant at that sort of engineering though so I may be wrong.

Last edited:

JoanDrake

I had been under the impression that some of the "buckyball" carbon fibers approached the strength needed now.
And building whole cities along them is an intriguing idea