4.12: Fear The Walking Dead - Weak

ctg

weaver of the unseen
4LpRK7K.jpg

Althea (Photo by Ryan Green/AMC)

June helps when Al's health deteriorates; Morgan searches for friends lost in the storm.

I had a problem with the hurricane devastation track as there were far too many trees that had leaves and rows of telephone poles that were still standing and not bent, or broken. I know it's a minor complaint, but to me it was breaking the illusion at the beginning of the episode.

In the other hand I loved the fact that they addressed Dave's point as they made the ZombieWagon stranded in the middle of the tornado path. What I don't understand is why Al and June decided to sit in it for so long and not go out to do the survival thing, scavenging for the supplies. It is also no wonder why they're sitting on the roadside as the MRAP are notoriously fuel hungry (3.5 miles per gallon, 300 miles on 85 gallon tank).

June's and Al's rig however is made for the long range hauling. But, if there is a fuel scarcity, why they haven't added a small tank at the rear for scavaging what there is left out there. I don't believe that States would have run out of fuel at the zombie apocalypse, as they have developed oil fields and refining facilities to treat the raw product. All the survivors need to do is to learn how to maintain and operate them. They don't even need to reinvent the science or dapple with the major engineering studies.

I loved the way they introduced the theme of weakness through Al's health problem. The worst case would be the malaria infection. There is really nothing June could do to make it better as they had no supplies to treat a major sickness. But that was just a counter-point for the real introduction of 4B's main villain, The Filthy Woman. She seems to be super strong compared to any other main villains as she's travelling alone and still creating fear wherever she appears.

IK7bjha.jpg

June showed no weakness on handling the situation after it became clear to her that the man wasn't going to listen reason. As we have seen in the TWD, there are people who don't take part into the scaveging hunts as they mainly care for other people, or do things like for example Hilltop's blacksmith does every day. Morgan shows great example by continuing the tradition of leaving a box of supplies on every visible mile-marker.

In June's situation, the fastest way to find the illucid medicine would have been learning how to pick a lock or shim it as those masterlock's they used in the ZombieWagon are notoriously easy to pick and bypass. Bashing the lock with your radio would have been the very last thing I would have personally done. Thing is, if you're so depended on the radio, why would you use it as a bashing tool, as the chances are you will break it sooner than later.

In Al's situation, the girls should have cleared that car's immediate vicinity from the dead. It was kind of obvious from the setup that they were going to use the trunk trick to kill the mud zombie. I don't know how it didn't hit the jack on first time when it crawled under the car.

It's sad that they had to abandon the ZombieWagon on roadside with all the supplies still inside. It should be included into Morgan's nomadic voyage through the wasteland full of dead. Now it belongs to the Filthy Woman.

It looks like the threat of merging FTWD and TWD has subsided -- for now, anyway.
Morgan seems to have decided that his new "family" takes precedence over his old. Whether that will remain the case when the whole band gets back together remains to be determined. I can understand that he might want to see how things have gone back in Alexandria, but he may not want to resume his residency.
The dramatic battle over possession of the fuel-guzzling Battlewagon and Al's mysterious case of mini-malaria aside, the most interesting development in this episode to me is the advancement of the new villain (Dirty Lady? I'm guessing she has some other name).
I don't know why she felt the need to replace Purvis with the freshly redeemed Quinn. Purvis had lost a few too many teeth to continue his employment? FTWD didn't need yet another new character?
My slight issue with the episode is the road mile markers. Quinn must have watching them as he drove to the rendezvous point. How could he fail to notice that the markers went from 20 (or 22) to 27? Quinn may have turned over a new good guy leaf, but he wasn't very bright.
I wonder if the group will have enough time to mount a defense when the Battlewagon arrives with DL at the helm.

(Dirty Lady? I'm guessing she has some other name).

The Filthy Woman Filthy Woman (Fear The Walking Dead)

I don't know why she felt the need to replace Purvis with the freshly redeemed Quinn

Yeah, I did find that strange as well. I liked Purvis, and I was still suspicious on Quinn and why he would drag diesel to the ZombieWagon so willingly out of all things in the world? Where was his other supplies? More to the point, did the Filthy Woman have extra fuel in trunk for that beast?

How could he fail to notice that the markers went from 20 (or 22) to 27?

Are they on every mile? How does it work in States? In the Europe, we have abandoned the mile markers a long time ago and just used the road numbers alone. Also note that the Filthy Woman possibly changed other markers as well. Not just the 21.

I wonder if the group will have enough time to mount a defense when the Battlewagon arrives with DL at the helm.

Individual targets are harder to hit than lumbering mass of zombies. Also there is a problem with the firearc. Does the Filthy Woman have endless supply of 556?

On my second viewing, Jude resembles so Carol and a bit like Andrea from early TWD. To me, she has redeemed herself and bought herself a ride in the Fear crew for a while. But, why is that Morgan doesn't point at her and say: "You really remind me of someone I knew at Alexandria."

I hope Jude doesn't have to go through same hell and follow Carol's footsteps.

Another stronge episode, although my personal favourite is the Alicia and Charlie one.
I'm glad I'm not only one who noticed June's resemblance to Carol.
Both series potray strong women but the fear cast have the edge.

I'm not really keen on background episodes but I'd like one on Al.

The filthy woman could be the biggest villain yet. Both the governor and Negan put some value on human life, I don't get that from her, I don't think the she wants the supplies or sees others as a threat. My impression is she wants to dispose of the living and become queen of her own necropolis.

Reactions: ctg
happyzombie3.PNG

Have you ever, in all the seasons of The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead, seen such a happy walker?
Riding that semi truck's cow-catcher, grinning, hair blowing in the wind. A dog sticking its head out the window of a speeding car couldn't be happier.
I was sorry to see her go. She made a great hood ornament/mascot.

Reactions: ctg
Have you ever, in all the seasons of The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead, seen such a happy walker?

Only in Romero's movies.

My impression is she wants to dispose of the living and become queen of her own necropolis.

You're right. It is the same feeling I got as she's over and beyond the dead. Although I did also think when she was laying on top of Quinn that the dead is going to be her end.

The Filthy Woman is portrayed quite like a traditional voodoo witch. Though I don't think she will be doing any magic. How much trouble can one woman cause? Well she can certainly decimate this crew before she is dealt with. Morgan has seen her so does know there is a potential threat in the area. He didn't exactly question her hard but he seemed uneasy around her.

A good episode although it seems to be falling into TWD trap. Whole episodes devoted to the members of the fragmented group and the story advancing slowly. Not quite the snails pace of later TWD episodes but there is a trend forming in FTWD.

When you have people running the show in TWD and then they come over to FTWD too it is inevitable that they bring these issues with them. Maybe they didn't understand how good season 3 of FTWD was.
Having said that if you search for reviews about FTWD there are various ones about the earlier parts of season 4 and critics seem to think it is the best season, at that point.

Also note that the Filthy Woman possibly changed other markers as well. Not just the 21.
She would need to. I assume the guy was driving along checking each one. Suddenly, the one he is looking for comes up, completely out of order. What happened to all the missing miles? Did he think he had dozed off while driving? Or did he pass through a portal? You have now entered the Twilight Zone.

What happened to all the missing miles? Did he think he had dozed off while driving? Or did he pass through a portal? You have now entered the Twilight Zone.

It's why I asked about the Mile Markers, because we don't have them and since they're in the tornado zone, I think they're mostly a stupid idea. Who is going to maintain them on every mile?