#SFFCHRONS

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
Supporter
twitter-logo.png

We're re-launcing the #sffchrons hashtag on Twitter with an Ask Harebrain (aka author Bryan Wigmore) anything, this Friday at 6pm. That should be the morning/afternoon in America.
How it works.
If you're on twitter, join the conversation between 6-7 pm GMT by using the hashtag. Ask questions, have a laugh, pose connundrums. But everything must happen under the hashtag. That means we can all see the conversation. For those who want to keep an eye on their own timeline too, the multi-tasking maddos, something like Tweetdeck can be useful - and it can also help keep a track of the conversation.
If you're not on twitter, you can still see the conversation by going to the twitter website and following the hashtag #Sffchrons

Going forwards, I hope to do these on a fortnightly basis, and I hope to pull on the full breadth of the chrons.

So:
Authors - let me know about your promotions, your new releases, your exciting news and I'll try to get something like what we're doing above schelduled for it. Or a writing clinic.
Readers - fancy a live book discussion? Let me know and I'll scheldule some of those. Or an author-talk - if I can, I'd even tag the author and see if they could check in.
Gamers - a new release to discuss?

Anything at all provided it's related to the chrons. The hashtag can also be used to check activity from Chronners (provided they remember to attach it to their tweet!) so it can be a really good way of seeing what's happening, and retweeting for each other. That can really help traffic to individual Chronners.
But! The events will be arranged centrally. Sometimes they'll be one person-centric, as with this week (although we all hope Otter can be bribed to turn up if we bring fishcakes). Sometimes we might have a panel. If there is an American-led one, or an Aussie-centred one, or anywhere else in the world, we can adjust the time to give more visibility in that market; it's about making it work for you.

So hit me up with your requests and suggestions.

Jo

So, here's how this helps us. I've just put up the first tweet calling out Bryan's event. I'm sure others will add a tweet or two. So far, from my timeline Women Aloud NI have picked it up. I'm part of them, and they follow me, and they have a huge SM presence. As well as that, Octocon, the Irish sff convention who are closely linked with Worldcon next year, have just picked it up and retweeted it. So, suddenly, Bryan's book is being mentioned in markets he's not known in.

We did some of these a little while ago, some with quite a bit of chatter.

One suggestion I'd make is to perhaps have just themed chats sometimes.

Is there a FB alternative to being live on Twitter?
I left Twitter last year, having disliked it for most of the time I was on.
Would be a shame to miss out.
There really isn't the same capacity on facebook to have a live conversation that can be easily followed. I can set up an event and we can post into it, but it doesn't have the same reach; only those attending will see the posts as opposed to everyone who follows each of us on twitter.

I might have to be fashionably late to this one - my commute home is not twitter friendly.

But I'm sure Bryan won't mind fielding a bunch of silly Otter questions after the buzzer's gone :p

Anyone got any tips for fielding multiple questions that then develop their own threads, and keeping track of them all? Or is it basically chaos?

Anyone got any tips for fielding multiple questions that then develop their own threads, and keeping track of them all? Or is it basically chaos?
Tweetdeck. It's what I use. You can add columns for hashtags, for lists, even for individuals, and remove them afterwards. You can also open up individual threads by clicking on Tweets.

It allows me to have multiple sources open, see what I need to, and close it down quicker than by searching through endless Twitter feeds. Although, if you want to go more in depth, you can also open up a separate feed on Twitter itself, clicking the link from Tweetdeck.

For those who want to keep an eye on their own timeline too, the multi-tasking maddos, something like Tweetdeck can be useful - and it can also help keep a track of the conversation.

Oh my. Thank you! I have a love-hate relationship with Twitter, heavy on the hate. I have now tried Tweetdeck and can almost feel the love. It feels like it was designed by someone who couldn't stand the nausea of the Twitter web page.

I've now tried Tweetdeck and it looks very useful. I didn't realise it would be free. It also updates a lot quicker than the main page.

Is it necessary to add #sffchrons to every tweet, even if it's a straight reply to one that's already tagged?