July Writing Challenges - winners announced!

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter

Congratulations to both @TheDustyZebra and @The Judge who respectively won the 75 and 300 word Writing Challenges in July!

You can read all entries for the challenges here:

July 2018 75-word Writing Challenge -- VICTORY TO THEDUSTYZEBRA!.

300-word Writing Challenge #30 (July 2018) -- READ FIRST POST!

And if you wish to vote in the August 75-word Writing Challenge, you have just over a day left to do so: August 2018 75-word Writing Challenge -- READ FIRST POST!

In the meantime, here are the winning entries:

July 2018 75-word Writing Challenge - Twist - won by TheDustyZebra: July 2018 75-word Writing Challenge -- VICTORY TO THEDUSTYZEBRA!

*… .*
* ….Mine.... .*
*… …A match.. .….*
*.I found you, among the.*
*...seven billion people....*
*……..23andMe……..*
*….and you.....*
*………*
*………*
*……..You………*
*…..had a solid alibi…….*
*….when your mother died,….*
*….despite the DNA evidence.....*
*….When your father died,….*
*……..police looked……..*
*…….harder...…..*
*…………..*
*…..*
*……..*
*… ..Then… ..*
*… ..your brothers,… .*
*…… .killed one by one...…..*
*….You were sent to death row.....*
*………...Today I get to watch…………*
*.............your execution...……..…*
*…..…..Finally.....……*
*……..….*
*……..*
*……Oh...….*
*...…What’s this?......*
*….….You have a son?........*
*I’ll take care of him later....*
*……..I’m reclaiming......….*
*……..our DNA...….*
*…..Mine.....*
*……..*
*…….*​

July 2018 300-word Writing Challenge won by The Judge: 300-word Writing Challenge #30 (July 2018) -- READ FIRST POST!

Orison – To The Lady of Six Aspects

Hear my prayer, Lady, and remember me.

When first I came to the monastery, a trembling frightened girl-child of five, your statue was clothed in your martial aspect – fanged mask, dragon-scale armour, kukri wielded in each hand. The other postulants all bowed in homage to you, their goddess. Not I. I hid my eyes and turned away from that image of battle and death.

Within the Postulant House, I sought teaching only of your kinder aspects, the Lady Compassionate, the Lady Benevolence.

Within the Novitiate House, I sat at the feet of the Lady of Wisdom and the Lady of Truth.

In the Temple, I tended the Acolyte’s Shrine and gazed at your gilded statue, where the symbols of your six aspects rested in your six hands, and ever I prayed that at the Day of Accepting, you would give me the Balance, so I could follow the Lady Giver-of-Judgements.

But when the Day came and I slept the drugged sleep, it was the kukri you held out to me. “You shall be my warrior,” you said. But I refused, and turned away from you again.

Six years have passed since that day, since I left the monastery. Six years of wandering the land, of finding plundered villages, butchered families, raped children. Six years of watching compassion, benevolence, wisdom, truth and judgement-giving lost.

Now I understand.

The men who have plundered and butchered and raped sleep in the valley below. They are many. I am one. But I am also many, if, Lady, you are with me.

I turned away from you twice. Do not, I beg, turn away from me.

Lady of the Kukri, whose name is also Lady of the Defenceless, Lady of Justice, Lady of Death, remember me and hear my prayer.

Last edited by a moderator: