$5000 Grants for Writers & Artists with Children: Applications open until 31 August

The Bluestocking

Bloody Mary in Blue
The Sustainable Arts Foundation was founded in 2010 with the aim of encouraging parents to continue pursuing their creative passion, and to rekindle it in those who may have let it slide.

In 2018 the foundation will award $5000 each to twenty artists and writers who have demonstrated excellence in their disciplines. The awards are offered as unrestricted cash, and recipients can use the funds as they see fit.

To be eligible to apply for a grant you must have at least one child under the age of 18. Applicants can be based anywhere in the world and there are no citizenship restrictions.

For more details, see: $5000 Grants for Writers & Artists with Children: Applications Open until 31 August

May be of interest to @Brian G Turner @Juliana and any other Chronners with young kids.

Nice one. They're finally useful for something. :D

Edit to add: there is a $20 submission fee, which is me out. Whilst that doesn't sound like a lot, if a writer applies for ten* such over the year that's $200 - more than many writers earn in a year.

In addition to that, they're offering $100,000 in awards - by my reckoning, all it would take is 5000 applicants to cover that. For a worldwide award. In all disciplines. They'll get that and then more, I reckon. Which means this isn't a philanthropic award, but one funded by the entrants....

*Think you would never have 10 things to apply to in a year - last year I entered two prize awards, one like this, and one screenwriting search award. And I mostly have a policy not to apply for anything that charges.

Last edited:
I did notice the fee, but didn't really do the math...
I could be wrong, of course. And they will have costs to administer it and read all the applications. But it does get my goat when it is presented as something to help keep writers writing because they have additional challenges in doing so (whatever they may be) and then charge for it when, by its nature, the award is targetted at a demograph under pressure for money. Especially in August, says me who just spent £200 quid on new school stuff last week. :D

I could be wrong, of course. And they will have costs to administer it and read all the applications. But it does get my goat when it is presented as something to help keep writers writing because they have additional challenges in doing so (whatever they may be) and then charge for it when, by its nature, the award is targetted at a demograph under pressure for money. Especially in August, says me who just spent £200 quid on new school stuff last week. :D
And considering applicants are supposedly encouraged from all over the world, that $20 fee cuts a high percentage of people out already.

Nice one. They're finally useful for something. :D

Edit to add: there is a $20 submission fee, which is me out. Whilst that doesn't sound like a lot, if a writer applies for ten* such over the year that's $200 - more than many writers earn in a year.

In addition to that, they're offering $100,000 in awards - by my reckoning, all it would take is 5000 applicants to cover that. For a worldwide award. In all disciplines. They'll get that and then more, I reckon. Which means this isn't a philanthropic award, but one funded by the entrants....

*Think you would never have 10 things to apply to in a year - last year I entered two prize awards, one like this, and one screenwriting search award. And I mostly have a policy not to apply for anything that charges.

Tips hat to the Blue Stockinged one. All good input.

Ah Jo.

Your my kind of cynic.:)

Weird. It says it's judged on the strength of your portfolio, but also says 15 pages maximum, as a single long sample or multiple shorter ones. So that's not so much the volume of your portfolio, but more the quality of the writing (as judged by the jurors, and SF/F falls into the category of "Fiction", so probably literary sorts).

Thanks @The Bluestocking ; for the heads up... sincerely. It's nice that members share what they find to help others here.

That said, though I had no intention of applying perhaps it is just the militant in me that is a little put-off by them requesting that you send them money to be considered. I get it, they're a philanthropic group trying to do some good, and to do that good they need revenue/donations to spread around... although, from the SAF website:

"Our application fee is $20. 100% of this fee goes to our jurors, who are all parent artists and writers themselves. Charging this fee insures that at least two jurors will review each application and be compensated for their work."

They do additionally offer assistance if you need it (with that fee), although, I'll let you all look into that.

Anywho, not one to let others be more generous than myself, I will make a counter offer.

If you send me $20, I will send each and every person that does, $10 BACK! That's right! Unlike the offer above wherein only 20-people will get $5,000, each and every person that sends me $20 will get $10 back. It doesn't matter if only five people apply, or five million... Everyone will win $10!

Now, the foundation says this is to pay for jurors... That's understandable, however, if you really insist that I read your work (even though I won't), then I'll only send back $5... That doesn't mean I'll actually read it, yet I will tell you that I did. And that's $5 more than nothing ;)

You can thank me after :)

K2

Last edited:
Back