Technology shifting ppl thru realities is cause of disagreeing on history & mass disappearances. Group looks for cause

DawnCoffee

Could have sworn the title was Microcosm or something similar but am not having luck finding it, and don't remember the author.

Read from a library book, in the 00's or 10's, likely hardcover, in english

Background world building is that history has become inconsistent to the point the general population refuse to talk about anything in the past. I can recall mention of someone's long-dead cat simply showing up one day and the house set up as if they'd never died. People have started disappearing, no warning, no explanation, as if they'd simply ceased to be between one moment and the next.

Something about technology, the stuff that's used everyday by everyone, is shifting people through realities, and the newest generation has been programmed to shift people in a direction that would be 'better' for them taking into account everything except the fact that people desire variety: I remember some mention about how someone offered their favorite fruit every day would eventually turn it down and ask for something different.

I also recall a point where one of the group was being taken away by ambulance, and there was reference to 'hundreds of me waving goodbye to hundreds of them'

I remember near the end the main character and his girlfriend(?) ended up in some kind of VR utopia off the grid cottage and had to find the answer, possibly in the library, to break free of it.

Interesting. This was a short story?

Does the third paragraph mean that multiple versions of the narrator are showing up in the same reality from different origins?