Book about alien pod, who falls from cave ceiling onto a mans head. He "seeps" into the mind, which they then share. Read in school in early 1980s.

DawnH66

Was a school library book, unsure of the time it was set in, but I think it was an alien planet, and the man was in a cave on that planet. It seems the pod was an ancient life form?

Ooh, Ooh, I know this. Well, I can't actually remember a title or author, but it was fabulous. Part of an epic series. I think I read it in one of those cheap Amazon Megapack anthologies; which means the publishing time frame could have spanned decades.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Don't despair. Someone with a better memory than mine will chance along soon enough.

Could also be from the Necroscope series.

Nope. Pretty certainly Healer as previously indicated. I've not posted enough to be able to insert links, but see below (remove spaces)

https: //rjdent.wordpress.com/2009/02/03/ healer-by-f-paul-wilson/

I would point out that the premise for "Healer" was set up, as an extended epilogue in "The Tery", also by Wilson of course. And that may be where the OP originally ran across it. If that's the case go for the full novel.

Was a school library book, unsure of the time it was set in, but I think it was an alien planet, and the man was in a cave on that planet. It seems the pod was an ancient life form?

It could be The Vaults of Yoh- Vombus by Clark Ashton Smith .:unsure:

The problem is that that could be and Clark Ashton Smith story. Everyone goes on about Lovecraft, but CAS took it to entirely different level.

CAS was easily a better writer then H P Lovecraft.

My uncle came up to me one day when I was about twelve and dropped a box of books in my lap. Half had to be CAS. The covers alone made me want to read them. Lovecraft was a fine writer, but he lacked a certain flair that Howard and CAS had. At times reading Lovecraft is like reading a shopping list.

Not an alien world but this does sound like Aldiss' Hothouse - the seed pod being the Morrell.

Not quite sure but it does seem to match up.

Hi,

My vote is for Healer as well. The guy goes into a cave on an alien planet having been told of the warning that 999 people out of every thousand will die which conversely means as he pointed out - one will not die - as in ever!

However as an alternative and a guy living with a sentient alien parasite you could look at the Hooded Swan books by Stableford where a shipwrecked pilot - Granger - picks up a friend - the Wind - who stays with him. No cave though. He just has the wind sort of seep into him over time.

Both alien parasites benefit their hosts by the way.

Cheers, Greg.

I found the same plot as part of a compilation from F. Paul Wilson titled "The Tery"...ISBN: 0-0671-69855-9...
The short story was titled "Pard" copy right 1973.
At the end of the book it references "Healer" to be part or the further adventures of...

51KIubLk94L._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

...Now I need to search for a copy of "Healer"...

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I figured to check the DRM free e-book source (Baen Books) first (no joy, just looked) .. then, if the weather is still rainy, to journey over to my favorite pre-read literature emporiums...

Enjoy!

Back