(Found) Series about a magical fair or bazaar

First read one of the books mid to late 1990s at my local library. Paperback.
It may have been several books of short stories about a fair or bazaar/market that people would travel great distances to reach. One main rule of the fair was that no magical items or weapons were allowed.
In one story a man circumvented the rules because he had a magical talent that made a dagger appear in his hand whenever threatened. Another was about a young girl who thought she had magic stones that would always land in a circular pattern when thrown, but it was actually a magical talent of her own that could predict the orbits of the planets and comets.
In one story there was a knife throwing competition that was rigged with weighted, wooden knives. A person had real knives made to look like the wooden ones so they could win, but was discovered by the local peace-keepers and either expelled from the fair or arrested.
I think at one point there was mention of a nearby ruined civilization, possibly indicating this was all post-apocalypse.

Heh! I was thinking about Robert Lynn Asprin's Myth, (punny titled) -adventures series, as well; but the OP's synopsis doesn't quite fit.

Asprin has the Bazaar; distant in that it's in another space-time dimension. I've read a dozen of those; but I don't recollect the knife fight or the stone caster. (sounds likely for the series, though)

Definitely not post- apocalyptic; though when Skeeve, the clutzy, fledgling magician and his direputable sidekick Demon Aaahz get to dimension hopping.... anyplace can happen. (And there's always a girl, who's smarter than Skeeve.)

Last edited:
Bumping this because I put a "watch" on this thread and was recently looking through my old emails and was reminded of it. I have fuzzy memory of these stories but can't help with any details.

This one continued to bug me so I did some more searching and I think have found it:

Magic in Ithkar, a series of books of short stories collected & edited by Andre Norton