Your favorite crazy cult film?

Never heard of it. Is that Cesar Romero?

That's him. It's also got Joseph Cotton as a rival submarine commander. I saw it for free in 1969 when I was a kid and thought it was garbage. By the time I was 30 I realized how awefully awesome it truly was.

It's based on an American radio serial from 1941 and later was the inspiration for The Life Aquatic starring Bill Murray.

I would buy this in a heartbeat if it ever released on blu-ray in North America, but the 60s Japanese stuff is not very forthcoming. Although, The Green Slime is finally available.

Cleese did 'The Strange Case of the End of Civilization as we Know it' and Sherlock Holmes will never be weirder. Watson is brilliant and the cryptic puzzle clues put it over the top.

Prehistoric Women (Hammer 1967) , lost tribe of women, 'jungle movie'. Mostly silly. If one pays attention to the story, has a very strange double surprise ending. What was thought to be not proved to be true! If this film had of had a reasonable middle narrative it would have been good.

Robot Monster (1953) . Mark the beginning and ending. A boy goes in a cave , there is an earthquake, boy gets hit on the head, ... ending he boys gains concisousness .
In between is an a totally incoherent story about an alien , man in a gorilla suit with a space helmet, Ro-Man. Harry High School acting, visual effects for 25 cents. Totally goofy movie.
But! the beginning and ending are played straight.
So the middle is all a boys dream! So all could be ok!
Weird.
(This film without the start and finish is worse than Plan Nine From Outer Space)

Even stranger is that the musical score is by, wait for it, Elmer Bernstein! Later to get 14 Academy Award nominations!

It's difficult to work out the definitions here.
Crazy
and Cult.

I came up with a few ideas and checked at least to see whether they were cult by looking at the Wikipedia list of cult films, which is incredibly long.
Gentlemen prefer blonds is cult? and the lord of the flies? Jules et Jim? (in fact pretty well the entire nouvelle vague.)

well ok.
So the definition is just that it's not blockbuster, even if it was at the time..

And then Crazy. Hmm.
So I was left pretty much with Brazil; The Lawnmower Man; and Dark Star.
Others hit the Wiki list but not really crazy. (Silent Running, Solaris etc)
And Dougal and the Blue Cat, I found in the Wiki list, but had never considered as cult.

So I ended up chosing the Lawnmower Man.

Also a special mention for Demon Seed, which probably doesn't get in on either count, but I kept thinking of it while searching for my entry.

oh yes, robot monster a fave for decades... .great dialogue... 'you look like a pooped-out pinwheel!' still beats a lot of new flicks.

Robot Monster (1953) . Mark the beginning and ending. A boy goes in a cave , there is an earthquake, boy gets hit on the head, ... ending he boys gains concisousness .
In between is an a totally incoherent story about an alien , man in a gorilla suit with a space helmet, Ro-Man. Harry High School acting, visual effects for 25 cents. Totally goofy movie.
But! the beginning and ending are played straight.
So the middle is all a boys dream! So all could be ok!
Weird.
(This film without the start and finish is worse than Plan Nine From Outer Space)

Even stranger is that the musical score is by, wait for it, Elmer Bernstein! Later to get 14 Academy Award nominations!

Then there's The Creeping Terror 1964 :D

Last edited:
That was one of those movies where actors have a hard time portraying having a hard time.

Combined wi the fact that they lost most of that films soundtrack and were forced to put in a poorly improvised narration.

Death Race 2000 you just can't been a classic.:)

Heavy Metal: The Movie (1981) Trailer

I saw this film when it came in 1981. It looked mazing on the bog screen but now much of the animation looks dated. But my favoite segment is the one with Taarna . Magnificent character .:cool:

Heavy Metal 2000 Had better animation but a very uncomplying story with not very likable characters.

Battle Beyond the Stars 1980 Roger Corman film basically The Seven Samurai in outer space.:)