Your favorite crazy cult film?

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
The eminently quotable Withnail and I. Richard E. Grant is spectacular as is Paul McGann. It's one of those films that seeps into your consciousness and you find yourself chuckling like an idiot and you're not sure why. I feel like a pig shat in my head. - Withnail

A personal favourite, but one that won't appeal to most, is Hudson Hawk. This one is so tongue-in-cheek and sly that most people who saw it hated it. The fact that it was released after Die Hard is what hurt this film the most.

Edward M. Grant

Isn't Zardoz the one with Sean Connery running around in just his red Y-fronts? That was terrible!
Yet awesome at the same time. They must have been on some good drugs when they made it.

It had some good ideas, they just weren't developed very well (and Connery's loincloth was quite a distraction from the plot).

Al Jackson

Of more recent vintage is Bubba Ho-Tep. Directed by Don Coscarelli (Phantasm) from a story by Joe Lansdale
with Bruce Campbell as 'Elvis Presley' and 'Ossie Davis' as 'Jack Kennedy'.
Totally off the wall. Funny as hell. Lansdale does a story like this now and then. This one is a bit of a parody on mash-up fiction. Besides Elvis and Kennedy … The Mummy from Universal stock is borrowed , after a fashion.
What makes this film so odd and funny is that the conceit behind the Elvis story is actually plausible! (A film without the fantastical elements would also have been interesting!) Bruce Campbell hits it out of the park with his performance here. This a film where calculated goofiness really works. Made on a circumscribed budget it did not get a very good release and actually played art theaters. Supposed to have a sequel but that's in development hell.

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
There's been a few mentioned already that I really like (most notably Metropolis, Bubba Ho-Tep and They Live). Another is Society. Crazyo_O

Narkalui

Nerf Herder
I like anything made by Roger Corman. If a film has his name on the credits, I'll watch it. My personal favourite: Space Raiders

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
I've never really understood what qualifies as "Cult".

In the nineties, Blade Runner was considered something of a cult film, but at some point it got so much recognition as a great movie that I'm not sure if it qualifies as cult any more.

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
If a film has a few nuts willing to say they love it, then it's a cult film. If a film has a lot of nuts willing to say they love it, then it's a hit film.

Al Jackson

I've never really understood what qualifies as "Cult".

In the nineties, Blade Runner was considered something of a cult film, but at some point it got so much recognition as a great movie that I'm not sure if it qualifies as cult any more.
Yeah that is interesting. Denis Villeneuve said at the Alcon had done the market research and found that a new Blade Runner film would be successful , welp Villeneuve made a great film but it did not do good box-office.
I think Blade Runner 2049 will be remembered as the best film of 2017... like 2001 which did not get an Oscar nomination for best film, an a lot of other films .... The 1956 Searchers got zero noms and it now considered the best American Western.

Harpo

Guess. Guess wrongly. Guess wrongly often.
I like anything made by Roger Corman. If a film has his name on the credits, I'll watch it. My personal favourite: Space Raiders
I have his book right here. How I Made A Hundred Movies In Hollywood And Never Lost A Dime.