Best Lord of the Rings book set to buy?

c228997b-971a-4144-8e60-505a07659ad8.gif

Hugh, when you get your boxed set, could you post something here about whether the Reader's Companion has been updated? I have the original version (2005, 894 pages).

Hugh, when you get your boxed set, could you post something here about whether the Reader's Companion has been updated? I have the original version (2005, 894 pages).
Of course.

My pleasure Hugh - glad to help. And I wouldn't worry too much about the "cheap" printing from China for the 60th ann. version. It's highly unlikely that Harper Collins would have just accepted a "cheap version"; they would have chosen a good manufacturer, chosen the paper and binding and ensured it met with their quality controls. It's of course possible that the quality is lower than the 50th ann. version but I seriously doubt there's a major difference.

Extollager - the short answer to your question is "yes" - this should explain more (that I found digging around the site I linked to yesterday). And you can just see confirmation on the video around 8:30 on the flyleaf and a little later the (c) says 2014.

My pleasure Hugh - glad to help. And I wouldn't worry too much about the "cheap" printing from China for the 60th ann. version. It's highly unlikely that Harper Collins would have just accepted a "cheap version"; they would have chosen a good manufacturer, chosen the paper and binding and ensured it met with their quality controls. It's of course possible that the quality is lower than the 50th ann. version but I seriously doubt there's a major difference.

Extollager - the short answer to your question is "yes" - this should explain more (that I found digging around the site I linked to yesterday). And you can just see confirmation on the video around 8:30 on the flyleaf and a little later the (c) says 2014.

Thank you for the reassurance.

And thanks again!

Thanks, Matteo.

Snazal now says it is out of stock with them. Wonder what the price will be when they offer it again.

I discovered this morning that the FOTR in that set has a glossy "pages from the book of Mazarbul" insert, which Tolkien had wanted included in the original but which was dropped for cost reasons. Nice touch!

Book Depository had a good price for US ($82.32 ppd), so I ordered one from them. I ordered Tom S.'s new book on the Vikings from them, btw, but my Ship hasn't yet come in.

I discovered this morning that the FOTR in that set has a glossy "pages from the book of Mazarbul" insert, which Tolkien had wanted included in the original but which was dropped for cost reasons. Nice touch!

This video shows the Mazurbal pages at around the three minute mark. Hopefully I've stopped the video at the right point in this link, for easy access. I found this video by accident after watching the one posted by @Matteo . It would never have occurred to me to check youtube for reviews.

Last edited:
It would never have occurred to me to check youtube for reviews.

A bit OT, but I almost never do -- compared to text, they're often both far too long-winded and too slow. And it can be a near-endless experience, jumping from video to suggested video in case the next one points out a fatal flaw the others have missed. I once wasted half a day of my life using YouTube to confirm a decision to buy a motorbike I'd already set my heart on.

A bit OT, but I almost never do -- compared to text, they're often both far too long-winded and too slow. And it can be a near-endless experience, jumping from video to suggested video in case the next one points out a fatal flaw the others have missed. I once wasted half a day of my life using YouTube to confirm a decision to buy a motorbike I'd already set my heart on.

Always reassuring to find that I haven't been missing anything significant.

Your box set may have already arrived, but this edition of the Companion has 894 (end of index) pages and is copyright 2014.

Hugh, I gather that Scull and Hammond did update the LotR Companion for the boxed set, as compared to my old copy, but that they managed to do so while not requiring additional pages.

It does look good doesn't it!
Yes, I'd wondered about the possibility of a disappointingly cheap production.
Hence hoping for some feedback here....
I have these hardback editions of the three books that make up LOTR (I don't have the companion, you can get the books separately) - I can confirm they are excellent quality and, for me, the definitive editions as close to original styling as possible to buy.

lotr102.jpg

I have these hardback editions of the three books that make up LOTR (I don't have the companion, you can get the books separately) - I can confirm they are excellent quality and, for me, the definitive editions as close to original styling as possible to buy.

lotr102.jpg
I have this edition as well, only with the companion. It is indeed a lovely set.

Many thanks to those who have posted recently.

While these continued posts may be helpful to those interested in buying their own copies, for me personally my purpose in starting this thread has been most excellently fulfilled in that I have bought the box set as shown in my post 34 above.

Last edited: