What Are Your Favorite Films Made by Hammer?

Another vote for Quatermass and the Pit.

Others would include,
Horror of Dracula
The Hound of the Baskervilles
The Curse of the Werewolf
(loosely based on Guy Endore's The Werewolf of Paris)
The Devil Rides Out
X, the Unknown Factor
(which plays like the smarter version of The Blob)
The Vampire Lovers (a loose adaptation of J. Sheridan Le Fanu's "Carmilla" and which I rather like in spite of some silliness)

Randy M.

One Million Years BC, the first dinosaur film I ever saw.
That was Ray Harryhousen's only big dinosaur film, he did some other dinos, but that was his most complete work. Seems like Harryhousen should have made a several more. Harryhousen was offered the next Hammer dino film but he was busy, Jim Danforth did that one and it was very good stop motion work.

That was Ray Harryhousen's only big dinosaur film, he did some other dinos, but that was his most complete work. Seems like Harryhousen should have made a several more. Harryhousen was offered the next Hammer dino film but he was busy, Jim Danforth did that one and it was very good stop motion work.

It was also a remake of the 1940 film of the same name.

It was also a remake of the 1940 film of the same name.
Yeah that Hal Roach 1940 movie was an odd one, there had been some 'caveman' movies in the 20s and 30s , then One Million Years BC … then nothing , that I know off, until Hammer did that film again in 1966.
A goofy title , I guess it would have to be One Million Years BCE now!
I am not sure the general audiences , even now, know that it should have been 100 Million Years BC, and of course it would only have been dinosaurs.
I don't know how budget constrained that film was, because no one seemed to think to use Willis O'Brien , it may have been a time constraint.
Anyway Harryhausen did a wonderful job in 1966 and would have done it again for When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth but was busy and that job went to Jim Danforth.

Yeah that Hal Roach 1940 movie was an odd one, there had been some 'caveman' movies in the 20s and 30s , then One Million Years BC … then nothing , that I know off, until Hammer did that film again in 1966.
A goofy title , I guess it would have to be One Million Years BCE now!
I am not sure the general audiences , even now, know that it should have been 100 Million Years BC, and of course it would only have been dinosaurs.
I don't know how budget constrained that film was, because no one seemed to think to use Willis O'Brien , it may have been a time constraint.
Anyway Harryhausen did a wonderful job in 1966 and would have done it again for When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth but was busy and that job went to Jim Danforth.

Then ther s the post apocalyptic film I was a Teenage Caveman. It had Robert Vaughn but not Raquel Welch. :D

A fine film but the fur bikini didn't suit Vaughn as well.
Then ther s the post apocalyptic film I was a Teenage Caveman. It had Robert Vaughn but not Raquel Welch. :D
It is goofy that there was a Teenage Frankenstein and a Teenage Werewolf but no Teenage Vampire.... why Teenage Caveman? …. where none of the teenagers looked like teenagers!

Blood of Dracula (1957) has a plot parallel to that of I Was A Teenage Werewolf (mad scientist turns teenager into a monster.) If there were any justice in the universe, it would have been called I Was a Teenage Vampire. It was even made by the same folks.

In addition to Teenage Caveman (no "I was a" in the title, by the way) there was also Teenage Monster (1958) and Teenagers From Outer Space (1959.)

"Dracula" (1958) - still remains one of the most disturbing horror films I have ever seen. And despite being over 60 years old now, and looks incredibly hokey by today's standards, it still carries a lingering dread, which I attribute utterly and completely to Christopher Lee.

Hammer's producer on WDRTE did not want a tyrannosaurus-type dinosaur in it-she said it looked like a "poof" which I am told is a slang for homosexual.
Hammer was not often on the ball when it came to special effects choices--however the use of contact lenses on Plague of the Zombies was one of the smarter decisions. The lead zombie is still a creepy image.