What Are Your Favorite Films Made by Hammer?

Quatermass and the Pit for me. :)

One if the greatest science fiction films of all time . A Film by Roy Ward Bakse who gave us the A Night to Remember , which is still the best movie about Titanic ever done. :cool: (y)

Kiss of the Vampire.
This is the coolest twist on the Dracula legend that Hammer ever did.
It is an bit odd ball but great style and class.

Hammer ,in their heyday, was in a film realm of its own. Taking the old Universal horror stories and 'upping' them. They had available a stable of fine British film actors and within budget production design that was sharper and framed with a lot of style.

I thought they made a class Werewolf movie, and their Mummy films sort of shinned.

I remember in the late 50's when they did their take on Dracula and Frankenstein me and my friends were surprised at seeing a different take on the horror film.

There seems no place for a maker of films like these today.

Many of the horror films of today consist special effects and camera gimmicks . They lack good writing and even basic entertainment value.

Last edited:
One if the greatest science fiction films of all time . A Film by Roy Ward Bakse who gave us the A Night to Remember , which is still the best movie about Titanic ever done. :cool: (y)
I believe my wife’s great uncle was at the premiere of that film. He was the Fourth Officer on the Titanic.

I believe my wife’s great uncle was at the premiere of that film. He was the Fourth Officer on the Titanic.

I like this film way better then the James Cameron film.

Did you know that much of the external footage of the ship sinking was lifted from the 1942 Nazi version directed by Herbert Selpin and Werner Klingler? It was eventually banned in Germanty in 1943 because of the very realistic scenes of panic. The German censors didn't like this idea at a time when the public was suffering from Allied bombing. Funnily enough, in that version, the first officer was german (in fact, all the good people in this version were german and the british were the bad guys):D

Did you know that much of the external footage of the ship sinking was lifted from the 1942 Nazi version directed by Herbert Selpin and Werner Klingler? It was eventually banned in Germanty in 1943 because of the very realistic scenes of panic. The German censors didn't like this idea at a time when the public was suffering from Allied bombing. Funnily enough, in that version, the first officer was german (in fact, all the good people in this version were german and the british were the bad guys):D

They spent years on it and it cost 180 million dollars to produce that film at that time . I wonder how that translates into today monies ?:)

I saw the Munchhausen 1943 film--it may be the first color sound film to depict an extraterrestrial (the moon creature?).

"Quatermass and the Pit" like others have said (its about the best Sci-fi can get)
"The Reptile"
"Night Creatures"
"The Gorgon"
"Kiss Of the Vampire"
"The Devil Rides Out"

to name a few....so many good ones.

"Quatermass and the Pit" like others have said (its about the best Sci-fi can get)
"The Reptile"
"Night Creatures"
"The Gorgon"
"Kiss Of the Vampire"
"The Devil Rides Out"

to name a few....so many good ones.

An excellent list. :cool:(y)

"Lost Continent" and "The Man Who Could Cheat Death" are some other highlights. "Plague Of The Zombies" is a masterwork I left off. Andre Morrel nails it. Plague does not get the high praise zombie status it deserves. It is really the first film that shows some amazing & creepy zombies in slo-motion with fog, nicely composed dutch angle camerawork and a creepy score coming out of the ground.

"Lost Continent" and "The Man Who Could Cheat Death" are some other highlights. "Plague Of The Zombies" is a masterwork I left off. Andre Morrel nails it. Plague does not get the high praise zombie status it deserves. It is really the first film that shows some amazing & creepy zombies in slo-motion with fog, nicely composed dutch angle camerawork and a creepy score coming out of the ground.

Andre Morrel was very good Professor Quatermass in the 1958 Quatermass and the Pit serial.

Captain Kronos was just a delight to accidentally watch on TV. So much better than any film of that kind manages.

Last edited:
Quatermass and the Pit serial is tops! Its damn eerie in B&W and you get a little more background in sic episodes. Plus "Mars Bringer of War" playing at the title card is awesome too.

Thumbs up on Kronos too. It has real heart and was I think only one of a couplee that director did.

To the devil a daughter and The Devil Rides out are great. I really enjoyed Rasputin.
There is a lot of dross in the horror industry. And some greats. I’m not so sure there is more dross released now than there was back then though.

I really enjoyed Rasputin.

It's slammed by some since it is not really a horror film (it seems to be a remake of SVENGALI in part--there's even a couple of shots that look like they were copying the John Barrymore film) but it is such a performance-driven film-feels like a stage play at times-I find it very rewatchable. Christopher Lee gets a starring role for a change.
Also more impressive given that they were shooting Dracula-Prince of Darkness at the same time.

Yes Christopher Lee puts in such an intense and commanding performance. He carries the film.