Patrick Stewart returns as Picard to lead new Star Trek series

I understand the complaints.

But I also note the compliments to the movies/series came only after my *vexed* post.

:p

I was thinking that if Patrick Stewart hadn't had an acting career after Star Trek, then there might be a different take on this too. There would have undoubtedly been comments made about it being his pension scheme and such. Since he has not only had an extensive and award winning stage career, but he is also now possibly better known as Professor X than as Jean Luc Picard, there is none of that. He can probably take any acting job he likes, and he would turn this down if it wasn't going to be excellent. The fact that he himself seems excited about it says a lot.

I do have my own complaints about Star Trek series and movies. But I tend to be more positive about the things I love.

TOS: Poorly acted, but fun/intriguing stories.

TNG: Weird, those form-clinging uniforms. Many of season one's stories were rather bland - though the pilot episode was awesome!

ANIMATED: Dunno - never watched it.

DS9: only complaint I ever had was: WTF? An intelligent, warring "nation" just abandons a space station?? I can understand their leaving - but surely, they'd destroy the station??

VOYAGER: The pilot - and thus their reason for being slung to the far reaches - was ridiculous.

ENTERPRISE: The final season. Ugh.

DISCOVERY: Um... I'll have to get back to you on that.

ST: THE MOTION PICTURE: Besides that damn title; Way, way, WAY too much facial make-up, guys!!

THE WRATH OF KAHN: Okay, even in 1982, our ground-penetrating radar was apparently better than the Enterprise's scanners!

THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK: Besides the fact no one thought Spock was gone for good; I was pleased that "finger sex" didn't catch on.

THE VOYAGE HOME: Why weren't they arrested as "obvious nut cases"? Also, I sincerely hope the U.S.S. Enterprise had better security than depicted!

THE FINAL FRONTIER: What, they were running out of viable titles?? And could a Vulcan truly be so completely fooled? And why are beings with god-like powers always so easily defeated? (Did anyone notice they had to cut away when Spock was knocked to the ground by "god"? Apparently, he was already too old to get down and up too easily.)

THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY: As my favorite of the movies, I decline to mention a complaint. ;) (But it seemed Shatner also needed a cut-away when he went down though it was handled better this time.)

GENERATIONS: I understand he was dealing with a Legend, but Picard's puppy-dog eyes were disturbing!

FIRST CONTACT: The Enterprise crew is very bad at being "incognito".

INSURRECTION: Magic is used! Ugh.

NEMESIS: Wasn't much of a bad guy. And I always loathe god-like weapons.

STAR TREK: Yep... they ran out of titles! And the worst actor is given the lead.

INTO DARKNESS: Such a great villain, such a fantastic ship! So little done with either...

I do have my own complaints about Star Trek series and movies. But I tend to be more positive about the things I love.

So do I (about the TV series). I can argue that any of the older Star Trek series are the best. I haven't quite worked Discovery into my list but here are examples from my IMDB account.

TNG
It went where no one has went before. Again! They managed to recreate the Star Trek feel with a Captain that was completely different from Kirk. Absolutely the best of the newer Star Trek.

DS9
Dark, and gritty. More war and death. The best Klingons. Sisko did things that no other Captain had the balls to do. Absolutely the best of the newer Star Trek.

Voyager
It has more of the "wagon in the western frontier" feel that Gene wanted than the others. More time travel. More Borg. A better Borg Queen than the movies (and it's own finale) and the King of Jordan. Absolutely the best of the newer Star Trek.

Enterprise
Judged way to harshly and not given the credit it deserved. It did a better job exploring Vulcan than ever before. Finally gave us answers about the Klingon change in appearance. Absolutely the best of the newer Star Trek.

Last edited:
I always felt Enterprise was a very solid idea until they threw in the darn temporal war bit. It should have focused on the core races plus a few of the fringe ones and how they interacted and how Starfleet really formed up. The contention with being behind the Vulcans with technology was a great opener; but yeah temporal war I think spoilt its plots.

It is, and I've now watched the first 3 episodes. Great stories! Poor animation, but what the heck! I'm impressed.
I love the inclusion of the Kzinti. It's a shame CBS couldn't have kept them in the main storyline, but as a Star Fleet Battles player I've read thousands of pages about them. Mostly SSDs, and tactical papers, but they are an amazing adversary in that universe.

A lofty goal indeed:
“My goal is that there should be a Star Trek something on all the time on All Access,” CBS TV Studios president David Stapf told Deadline.

The return of Jean Luc is a great way to bring back some old fans for nostalgia. One of the favourite characters comes back. Hopefully there is an aim of quality and just Stapf's aim of quantity.

Sigh! I now know I am in the serious minority, but I never bought Picard as a captain. For all his flaws Kirk was a believable captain as was Janeway. But Picard just seemed too detached even when the story suggested he was all in, for him to work for me as a Captain...... So although I'd love to see a new series, Picard acts as an anchor on my enthusiasm. --- But, in all of the shows save, Voyager, the first mate was always the character I loved and felt was by far the one I would like to be.

Parson, surely you don't sit on chairs using the Riker Manoeuvre?

Sigh! I now know I am in the serious minority, but I never bought Picard as a captain. For all his flaws Kirk was a believable captain as was Janeway. But Picard just seemed too detached even when the story suggested he was all in, for him to work for me as a Captain...... So although I'd love to see a new series, Picard acts as an anchor on my enthusiasm. --- But, in all of the shows save, Voyager, the first mate was always the character I loved and felt was by far the one I would like to be.
I don't think Picard would be an exemplary Captain in today's military, but find his style far more likely in a future military than Kirk.

I don't think Picard would be an exemplary Captain in today's military, but find his style far more likely in a future military than Kirk.

To be honest I don't think none of them should have continued as captains of starships and Kirk shouldn't have been given admiralty as he is far too hotheaded for that responsibility. I think Picard at the end wanted just to sit somewhere nice, possibly in a vinery, while enjoying sunsets he hadn't seen for a long time. My understanding is that his mind wouldn't have let him stay there forever as Picard would have either started writing books or moved to teach people, while still enjoying solid ground beneath his feet.

Janeway is the only one who deserved admiralty and being put on a charge of a fleet of vessels. However, I do not know, if that was what she wanted to do after crossing the galaxy to get back home. It is the way how the Voyager was written that made me to believe it's what she wanted and as the StarFleet as the counterpart, that marriage would have been golden.

Here's a question: are we going to see similarly aged Wil Wheaton in this new series?

As has been pointed out before, the Enterprise is not primarily a warship, so it is not surprising that Picard would be (no more than) a military officer, exemplary or otherwise.

His skills set has to be much wider -- so that he can, when required, help to bring opposing sides to an agreement -- including being able to put himself above the fray when necessary, something that requires a certain detachment.

And an ability to put oneself in others' shoes has to be boon when encountering new intelligent species (not to mention some of the better known ones...).

I also wonder whether or not we will see Will Wheaton as Commander or maybe even Captain Crusher...
He is plagued with that baby face, even facial hair doesn't hide. He'd look so out of place in the Captain's Chair!

Ive often wondered What Trek would have been like had Patrick Stewart bowed out of the series in the 2 parter The Best of both Worlds , leaving Rijker in charge of the Enterprise. Wasn't ther a time When Patrick Stewart wanted to leave Star Trek ?