Patrick Stewart returns as Picard to lead new Star Trek series

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
new-picard-star-trek-series.png

CBS all access has signed up Patrick Stewart to star in a new Star Trek series, which follows the life of Jean-Luc Picard 20 years after Star Trek: The Next Generation:

Star Trek: Discovery showrunner Alex Kurtzman will be an executive producer on the new series, and stated, “With overwhelming joy, it’s a privilege to welcome Sir Patrick Stewart back to the Star Trek fold. For over 20 years, fans have hoped for the return of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and that day is finally here. We can’t wait to forge new ground, surprise people, and honor generations both new and old.”

There isn't much detail being provided at the moment - no series title, or news of other cast members, other than it being made clear this will not be ST:TNG 2.

However, Patrick Stewart has posted a statement on Twitter welcoming his return to playing Captain Picard:

Last edited:
Head of Star Fleet Academy?? He could also be the new wise old gardener. There was a rumor about a Academy show. It would kill two rumors with one stone (Trek).

Well. it was Stewart himself that announced the new series, so it looks like this one is no long just rumor! :D

Even tho I have heard that Star Trek Discovery is being reworked to fix it (and it needs fixing!).... I am curious how this new ST will go. Lord all this ST stuff and I remember in the 1960s when NBC was beside itself to cancel the show!

Star Trek was space opera as had never been done before on TV , there had been an excellent space opera in 1956 Forbidden Planet and that was it! Forbidden Planet was not a block buster but it did well enough yet nothing for 10 years till ST, and it took almost 20 years to Star Wars at least as film. It is odd but I guess understandable that Hollywood did not know that the prose form of space opera had evolved and there was a market for it.

Have to say I don't really want to do more been-there-done that space opera , Star Wars of Star Trek ..... there is a vast source sophisticated space opera on the page out there , has been since 1938! That's why The Expanse is so refreshing I mean that show is Heinlein-Like* science fiction , it is so familiar to me yet have never seen it as visual narrative before , no SW and ST don't count.

*(When I say Heinlein-like I mean Heinlein between 1940 and 1960 , he lost his mojo after 1960. Of course there were about 100 Heinlein-like writers too even continuing to the present.)

And we had to wait another 10 years after Star Wars for Nest Generation and that ultimate lead to DS9, Babylon 5, Voyager , Farscape, Stargate SG1, Enterprise , Battledtsr Gallacatica Ect. In other word the golden era we have now. :)

Maybe i'm being contentious for the sake of it, but Battlestar Galactica is several steps above all the other shows you have mentioned @BAYLOR. I know the thread is not about that but my unapologetic, raging fanboy inside me couldn't just let it go. He needed to say it. :LOL:.
PS: I have no opinion on the return of Stewart.

Maybe i'm being contentious for the sake of it, but Battlestar Galactica is several steps above all the other shows you have mentioned @BAYLOR. I know the thread is not about that but my unapologetic, raging fanboy inside me couldn't just let it go. He needed to say it. :LOL:.
PS: I have no opinion on the return of Stewart.

No worries .:)

So in 20 years will Picard still be. Captain of the Enterprise E?

He definitely won't be in charge of a Star Fleet star ship. If you watch all the clips of him talk that's the one thing he pretty much rules out. He would have never come back to do the same thing over again.

He definitely won't be in charge of a Star Fleet star ship. If you watch all the clips of him talk that's the one thing he pretty much rules out. He would have never come back to do the same thing over again.

What would he being doing 20 years hence ?

I wonder if they might do another space station. Commander of one of the vast ones that act as docking sites for Starfleet. Something we've not really seen in its true majesty since the first Original Series films (seriously that space station makes DS9 look like a toy!

So in 20 years will Picard still be. Captain of the Enterprise E?
Someone already said it.
He could also be the new wise old gardener. There was a rumor about a Academy show. It would kill two rumors with one stone (Trek).
Before you comment, I want to remind a few of you, this is exactly what you were asking - a series taking place post ST:TNG! :D
Not quite what was asked for. We wanted a ST:TNG and ST:DS9 joint movie when the cast were still young. We wanted a post TNG/DS9/VOY show with a new crew. We wanted the Academy. I wanted a show set on a Klingon ship. I wanted a mini-series with a different story each week set around pivotal moments in Star Trek history.
Even tho I have heard that Star Trek Discovery is being reworked to fix it (and it needs fixing!).... I am curious how this new ST will go. Lord all this ST stuff and I remember in the 1960s when NBC was beside itself to cancel the show!
Discovery was okay until around the penultimate episode. After setting up the mirror universe and Klingon War they did a reset button on it all before the end. I would have liked a whole series set in the mirror universe. I would have liked a whole series set within a war. I'm not sure what we have left now, but that is all that needs fixing. The Abrams films still don't do it for me, I'm afraid. So, it might be Star Trek, but, at least, no Star Trek as we know it!

I think Head of Star Fleet Academy has a good chance. Maybe some kind of Ambassador or head of section 31? It could be some thing completely different.
I like the idea of Picard running Starfleet Academy. As an ambassador is believable, but he would never work with section 31. He hated artifice.

Someone already said it.

The Abrams films still don't do it for me, I'm afraid. So, it might be Star Trek, but, at least, no Star Trek as we know it!
Preaching to the choir here.

Fab news about Patrick Stewart. I'm hoping that he plays Jean-Luc 2.0 in the same manner as he did in his cameo in Extras.

As for Discovery, it did seem an acquired taste to me; I thought the plotlines and characters were rather good but it did come across as rather worthy. However, on the whole I think it worked.